Answer me this... Richard v. Broadway

Steve9347

Why is Clayton Richard starting tonight?

I'm not saying he's done or anything, but he sure didn't look ready during his last callup. Then we called up Broadway who had quite a nice start against the Royals and was immediately sent back down.

I feel like we should stick with Lance who showed us some good things, rather than going back to Clayton so quickly. Does anyone else find this one odd?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Why is Clayton Richard starting tonight?

I'm not saying he's done or anything, but he sure didn't look ready during his last callup. Then we called up Broadway who had quite a nice start against the Royals and was immediately sent back down.

I feel like we should stick with Lance who showed us some good things, rather than going back to Clayton so quickly. Does anyone else find this one odd?

They can't start Broadway tonight because he hasn't been down for 10 days. They wanted Richard because with Thornton hurt, and a bunch of nobody's on the front end of the pen, plus all of the innings they have thrown lately, they wanted another long arm just in case someone went flat, like had been happening a lot lately in the rotation. The Sox felt the pen arm was more important at the moment.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)

Not really.

Broadway having one decent 5-inning performance does not change the fact that Richard has been a MUCH better pitcher all year.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
Not really.

Broadway having one decent 5-inning performance does not change the fact that Richard has been a MUCH better pitcher all year.

IN THE MINORS. You have to put that caveat in when you make statements like that. In their very short MLB careers, Broadway has been the better starter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
IN THE MINORS. You have to put that caveat in when you make statements like that. In their very short MLB careers, Broadway has been the better starter.

The two of them have 5 starts between them at the major league level. Their stats are pretty close to worthless at this point of their major league careers because of the sample size.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)

So... the fact that Broadway was having trouble getting AAA hitters out... gave up 23 homeruns in 138 innings, and was getting absolutely brutalized by left-handers in the minors this year means nothing...

And the fact that Richard has an ERA that is half of Broadways, has struck out over four times as many guys as he's walked... and has given up only 5 homeruns all year means nothing.

It's the 13 innings that Richard has had in the majors vs. the 5 inning outing that Broadway had last week that determine everything.

Sample...size....error....

QUOTE (TCQ @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
R.A. Dickey is starting tomorrow...Hes uh, not good.

But he throws a knuckleball. How many of our guys have faced someone like him beofre? I'd say there's about as good of a chance that our offense lays an egg against him as there is they light him up for 10+ runs.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
But he throws a knuckleball. How many of our guys have faced someone like him beofre? I'd say there's about as good of a chance that our offense lays an egg against him as there is they light him up for 10+ runs.

I feel like we've done well against knuckle ballers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
I feel like we've done well against knuckle ballers.

Let's bring up Charlie Haeger to start against him. (I'm kidding.)

But that would be interesting.

I wonder when the last time was that two knuckleballers started against each other in a game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Like was posted above, Ibanez and Ichiro are left handed. Richard is left handed. I think that's probably the biggest reason why he's getting another shot. Odds are, either one would probably give up several runs tonight. I hope the offense continues on its roll.

Problem with that scenario is that they have both shown they can hit lefties pretty good. If Richard isn't right on tonight either or both of those guys can do some damage. I am hoping that the first call up and the three poor starts was a wakeup for Clayton and he has corrected whatever was wrong that can be corrected. No other logical choice at this point anyway so there isn't any reason to grouse about it. I will be watching the game tonight over FOX NW.

There is really no question that Broadway should be starting. I'm not sure why they were so worried about bullpen depth either, everybody knows Oakland can't hit, it's not like we were going to Texas. And I'm also REALLY not sure why we pitched Richard for an inning Sunday with an 11 run lead with him starting today being the plan. But whatever, with King Felix pitching, I don't think it matters who pitches today between the two of them because we are going to lose anyways.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
So... the fact that Broadway was having trouble getting AAA hitters out... gave up 23 homeruns in 138 innings, and was getting absolutely brutalized by left-handers in the minors this year means nothing...

And the fact that Richard has an ERA that is half of Broadways, has struck out over four times as many guys as he's walked... and has given up only 5 homeruns all year means nothing.

It's the 13 innings that Richard has had in the majors vs. the 5 inning outing that Broadway had last week that determine everything.

Sample...size....error....

its been talked about again and again on this board to take minor league stats with a grain of salt, thats exactly what I was doing. And I mentioned sample size in my post, so I was aware of it, thanks for making me aware of it again.

And Lance actually has 16 IP in the majors with 2 starts.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I say Richard goes 5+ gives up 4 and the Sox win 6-5! How is Seattle hitting vs lefties this year?

Ibanez, Beltre, and Lopez have hit lefties better.

Ichiro and most of the others hit righties better.

But Ibanez and Beltre have feasted on lefties... those are the guys I would be most concerned about.

(For example: Beltre hasn't done squat against righties this year (.666 OPS), but has a .927 vs. lefties.)

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Ibanez, Beltre, and Lopez have hit lefties better.

Ichiro and most of the others hit righties better.

But Ibanez and Beltre have feasted on lefties... those are the guys I would be most concerned about.

(For example: Beltre hasn't done squat against righties this year (.666 OPS), but has a .927 vs. lefties.)

awesum analysis. thanx man...

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
I think they are using Richard because we won't need a 5th starter after today until almost middle Sept. That way they can stick Richard back in the bullpen after today.

I put together a summary of the games in a different thread. Steve Stone said this yeasterda yand it is incorrect.

Who pitches next Tuesday?