Bought a new TV

Rex Hudler

Finally made the switch to DirecTV last night. It took some work, but I got a helluva deal, I think.

Right now, DTV is offering four months free of their Premier package (I call it the kitchen sink package) with purchase of NFL Sunday Ticket. Sunday Ticket costs $74.99/month during those 4 months. After surfing online and two phone calls, I finally worked them for a better deal. I got the premier package at no charge and they gave me Sunday Ticket for $52.99 for four months. Also, the Sunday Ticket games are not in HD unless you buy their Superfan package with it, which is an extra $24.95/month or $99 one time. I got them to give that to me at no charge as well. You do still have to pay the equipment fees and $9.99 for high definition access, but I still came out at about $75/month for four months for everything they offer, including all movie channels and Sunday Ticket. After 4 months, I'll probably call in and downgrade the service to a more affordable level, but I am pretty happy with the deal.

Also, got a great deal on a sexy TV. I went to 3 Best Buy's, Circuit City and HHGregg (twice) from Friday to Sunday this weekend. At first all the tv's looked close to the same, all looked good. But the more I watched I started to see differences. I narrowed it to Samsung, Panasonic and LG plasmas. I couldn't find the LG 50" 1080p plasma locally, and I wanted to go 50" so I eliminated LG. I finally picked a Panasonic 1080p that just has a remarkable picture. It was comparable to the Pioneer Kuro's that were close to $3,000. I did a little homework on PriceGrabber and ended up picking up the tv online for $1,488 with no sales tax and free shipping. Best Buy wanted $2099. HH Gregg wanted $1899.

The TV shipped today and DirecTV is scheduled to be installed next Wednesday, just in time for Thursday night kickoff!!!

Here is the TV. Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Have the same TV and DirecTV as well. You won't be dissapointed at all, it's amazing. Just make sure you research the proper settings on the TV for the amount of hours viewed. Sites like Avsforum.com are a big help.

Cool, thanks. I'm excited. I have an old plasma now that still has a very nice picture but it is a 480p. I'm ready for football season and I want PQ!

I did all that this weekend. Read many pages on avsforums. I have a good friend that does custom home theater installs that will come install it, get the settings right and program my RF universal remote control. He did my original setup and may have to change the location of a speaker or two. He does a lot of cool high-end work and takes care of me very well.

I'll now have this TV with a 7.1 surround system with a Denon receiver, a 400-DVD changer, the DTV HD DVR and my PS2 (and no, I'm not buying a PS# anytime soon) all wired into a closet right behind the tv. No wires are visible at all and everything is controlled by an RF remote so all the boxes are hidden in the closet. Here is a pic of the current set up before the install of the new TV next week.

CIMG0042.jpg

Edited by Rex Hudler

I second the recommendation of Avsforum.com. I'm just a lurker there, but have found it very helpful. Make sure you have your installer hook you up with an over the air (ota) antenna, so you can get WCIU Sox and Bulls games in HD. DirectTV does not offer that channel in HD via satellite.

Also, did you get the hd dvr? Once you've had it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
I second the recommendation of Avsforum.com. I'm just a lurker there, but have found it very helpful. Make sure you have your installer hook you up with an over the air (ota) antenna, so you can get WCIU Sox and Bulls games in HD. DirectTV does not offer that channel in HD via satellite.

Also, did you get the hd dvr? Once you've had it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

That would be one hell of an antenna if it could pick up those games OTA.....

considering I am in Birmingham, AL ;-)

Yep, have an HD DVR w/ cable now and you are right, once you get one, you can't go backwards. Thought about getting two, but I thought that would be overkill. Like having 6 tv's for a single guy isn't overkill already. LOL Actually, I am going to try and sell two of them to help pay for this TV.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:37 AM)
The "how" is easy. I just have people smarter than me who take care of it!!

is that room like just a living room type thing, and you just live in a place with a bad placed wall that worked out great for you? hah

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:41 AM)
is that room like just a living room type thing, and you just live in a place with a bad placed wall that worked out great for you? hah

It's a living room that is wider than deeper. The room splits with access to the hallway to the front door and to the kitchen on the other side. It just happens to be about the right size and have a closet immediately behind it for all of the components.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
Finally made the switch to DirecTV last night. It took some work, but I got a helluva deal, I think.

Right now, DTV is offering four months free of their Premier package (I call it the kitchen sink package) with purchase of NFL Sunday Ticket. Sunday Ticket costs $74.99/month during those 4 months. After surfing online and two phone calls, I finally worked them for a better deal. I got the premier package at no charge and they gave me Sunday Ticket for $52.99 for four months. Also, the Sunday Ticket games are not in HD unless you buy their Superfan package with it, which is an extra $24.95/month or $99 one time. I got them to give that to me at no charge as well. You do still have to pay the equipment fees and $9.99 for high definition access, but I still came out at about $75/month for four months for everything they offer, including all movie channels and Sunday Ticket. After 4 months, I'll probably call in and downgrade the service to a more affordable level, but I am pretty happy with the deal.

Also, got a great deal on a sexy TV. I went to 3 Best Buy's, Circuit City and HHGregg (twice) from Friday to Sunday this weekend. At first all the tv's looked close to the same, all looked good. But the more I watched I started to see differences. I narrowed it to Samsung, Panasonic and LG plasmas. I couldn't find the LG 50" 1080p plasma locally, and I wanted to go 50" so I eliminated LG. I finally picked a Panasonic 1080p that just has a remarkable picture. It was comparable to the Pioneer Kuro's that were close to $3,000. I did a little homework on PriceGrabber and ended up picking up the tv online for $1,488 with no sales tax and free shipping. Best Buy wanted $2099. HH Gregg wanted $1899.

The TV shipped today and DirecTV is scheduled to be installed next Wednesday, just in time for Thursday night kickoff!!!

Here is the TV. Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma

Just bought the same TV, but in the 42" model. Switched to Dish Network from DirecTV due to great deal they were offering. Still getting used to the differences but what a great setup. The extra protective plastic screen on the 1080 Panasonic was key since I have 3 little guys who hang out in the basement where it is set up. I went with ABT electronics here locally and they set me up with a great deal beating the top competitor's price and threw in the wall mount I wanted for a song. The family is really loving the basement now and we finally have a living room for entertaining guests. Congratulations on your purchase.