Who Would Your VP Pick Be?

HuskyCaucasian

I thought this would be an interesting twist on all the VP talk.

If you were the president of something that required you to pick a VP, who would it be?

I'm not talking about "oh, I'd pick Senator ____". I mean, among your friends, who do you think would compliment you best as your VP and why?

Interesting question. I have no idea.

I don't know that I would pick a friend, or at least a real close one. Friendship, or rather mere compatability, is not always the best attribute in a business partner, and I've often heard it said that you shouldn't go into business with your friends. I would look more for a colleague/acquaintance whom I have been able to work well with in the past, whose judgment, work ethic, and opinions (although not necessarily identical to my own) I respect, and who, most importantly, I could absolutely TRUST. Tall order, I know, but like with a roomates, friendship can complicate a partnership.

Or maybe all my friends are just rubberheads.

i would pick someone who i fully respect but disagrees with me 50% of the time. I would want someone to challenge me and debate me on ideas/concepts, not just be a "yes man". I would think having this level of disagreement would make me a stronger leader.

I agree with the above but would add that I would prefer someone who has an expertise in an area that I'm not as good in. If i'm good with foreign relations and military policy, but not so good with the economy, I'd want someone who is good with the economy.

There is a guy on another board that disagrees with me on pretty much everything when it comes to practical applications, semantics, and the "how to get there" things (I am slightly left-leaning not-quite-liberal, he is a hardcore liberatarian). However, for whatever reason, we usually don't disagree on the actual result we want or action to take once we finish arguing, only the ideology for doing it. I would pick someone like that for my VP - someone who has the same goals as me so he doesn't undermine my administration but plays devil's advocate often enough to keep me in balance.

And by the way we would both make AWFUL elected officials, in front of the camera anyway. Way too much honesty and bluntness. Imagine if Ozzie Guillen was a politician. Yeah.

Just to keep it from becoming too obscure, and assuming I was the top of the ticket, which is slightly hubris.

I'd pick from here, ABC. My short list would have DE (but we'd kill each other), FGH (ditto but a slower death and the hyperbole from both of us would be unreal lol), IJK (probably not enough diversity of opinion), and LMNOP (again, probably too liberal), unless I needed the old people in Fla, then it would be QRS.

I'd honestly prefer to be the VP to one of those guys. It seems that as VP you can actually do stuff. You do not have an official agenda, can pick a pet project, and use the office of VP to make it happen.

Note: I started to name names and realized that was a bit unfair.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Just to keep it from becoming too obscure, and assuming I was the top of the ticket, which is slightly hubris.

I'd pick from here, ABC. My short list would have DE (but we'd kill each other)

President Nancy Pelosi. nice job texsox. i'm not voting for you now

I can liken this choice to my search for an assistant manager. Before I bought my store, I worked for the previous owner. So I was the 'VP". We played well off each other. It was his store, but I treated it as if it were my own. I didn't disagree with him in front of the other employees (unless it was minor stuff), and when we did disagree, he listened to my side. Even when we agreed, I often played devil's advocate tossing out contrary views and situations, to make sure we thought things thru. If he made a decision that was contrary to what I thought, I still implimented his plans as if they were my own. After purchasing the store from him when he retired, I searched a long time for my Number 2 person. A previous employee was my main choice, but I couldn't afford to bring him back. I never settled on any one person to date, although I have used Juddling as a sounding board for my ideas in the past. I love Juddling (he IS my brother, after all), but I would need someone more complimentary to me. We are too much alike (except that I am better looking).

So for right now, my pick would be 'none of the above'.