Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
I think the Clinton's would help the Dems better with a inspirational speech as to point out economic successes of the Democrat economic policies of the 90's. Then tie that into what Obama is going to do to improve the country economically. I understand that the hardcore Obama voters want blood and crazy attacks, but it's not working. The McCain attacks are falling flat on their face, best to make the case that Obama has better ideas rather than just say McCain sucks.

I agree. They still have to sharpen their claws against McCain though.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)

Bunch of reasons why I think Hillary should be the attack speech. First and foremost, it has to be done. The Repubs got a much bigger bounce with their Zell Miller led "John Kerry wants to arm our troops with spitballs" "I wish we lived in the era when we could challenge people to a duel" insanity than the Dems did with their attempt to show off kerry's military background in 2004. If it didn't work I wouldn't be saying it needed to be done.

I think Hillary in particular should be the one doing it for a few more reasons. First and foremost...the thing that's going to bring those supporters of her candidacy considering voting for McCain back in to the fold is McCain. If you're for Hillary, you don't want McCain nominating the next supreme court justice, you don't want McCain's economic policies in place. Having her go after him for those makes that point.

And finally, I don't know who else will be the one to do it. The other options are BO himself, Clinton, Biden, and Warner (the keynote). Warner isn't going to do it, we already know that. Biden might make sense, but especially on the abortion issue something tells me he wouldn't be as effective as Hillary. I can't quite put my finger on why because the secret service would arrest me if i tried to put my finger there. And I really don't see Obama himself going hard as the attack guy on Thursday before 70000.

The attacks should start tonight and Billy Boy should be the harshest one (tomorrow) will be my guess. I herd some analysts saying that if Bill doesn't think they have been harsh enough he will take it onto his own to do it...

Its BS that this is the way that America has to do it, but the GOP is so good at attacking people they don't even have to make points as to why their canidate is better.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)

They have gone negative and McCain passed them in the polls; this happened during the Dem convention and after the VP announcement. Not a good sign, they should be getting a bounce, not losing ground. The Dems don't need to "swiftboat" McCain, they need to prove how they are competent and better for the country.

I don't think the hardcore Dems are going to convince moderates to hate McCain as much as they do. Face it, McCain is a likeable guy. What Obama needs to do is convince voters that he is going to be a great president; not convince voters McCain is a jerk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Bunch of reasons why I think Hillary should be the attack speech. First and foremost, it has to be done. The Repubs got a much bigger bounce with their Zell Miller led "John Kerry wants to arm our troops with spitballs" "I wish we lived in the era when we could challenge people to a duel" insanity than the Dems did with their attempt to show off kerry's military background in 2004. If it didn't work I wouldn't be saying it needed to be done.

You are under the false impression that such a campaign is a winning strategy for every election. Hey, but it will be interesting to see a bunch of crazy attacks on McCain, so go for it I suppose. I just think it would totally backfire.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2008/0...ot-to-kill.html

August 26, 2008

'No Evidence of a Plot' to Kill Obama - Feds

WASHINGTON - A half dozen federal security officials have told The Mouth that the supposed plot to assassinate Barack Obama during his Thursday acceptance speech in Denver by four armed dope suspects was considered a bunch of hooey.

Tharin Robert Gartrell, 28, and several other drug suspects linked to white supremacist groups were busted Sunday after Aurora, Colo., cops saw him driving a rented pickup erratically.

“What’s in plain view? Guns and a bulletproof vest,” a federal agent assigned to the Democrats’ Denver nominating convention told The Mouth. “One rifle had a scope sighted in at 750 yards. But he said they weren’t his guns.”

Cops went looking for Gartrell’s pals at two hotels. At the second hotel, their knock on a door prompted a suspect to leap out his sixth-story window and break his ankle in the fall, sources said. During interrogation, one of the suspects dimed out a buddy for allegedly threatening to kill Obama, officials said.

“They all had meth with them. There is no evidence of a plot other than one guy’s word, and meth heads aren’t that reliable (with the truth),” the federal agent said.

The suspects were facing state gun and drug charges last night, but the Denver U.S. attorney may file federal charges this morning, officials said. The Secret Service, ATF, FBI and Justice Department are all investigating.

Pretty High Expectations:

Chairman Dean: "There is not a unity problem... wait till you see Hillary Clinton's speech"

Despite lingering unhappiness among some delegates nursing grievances over Clinton's loss, party chairman Howard Dean declared the convention determined to make Barack Obama the nation's first black president. "There is not a unity problem. If anyone doubts that, wait till you see Hillary Clinton's speech," he said.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
You are under the false impression that such a campaign is a winning strategy for every election. Hey, but it will be interesting to see a bunch of crazy attacks on McCain, so go for it I suppose. I just think it would totally backfire.

Then why hasn't it backfired for McCain? Who's the last national candidate that the Patton type strategy actually failed for?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
They have gone negative and McCain passed them in the polls; this happened during the Dem convention and after the VP announcement. Not a good sign, they should be getting a bounce, not losing ground. The Dems don't need to "swiftboat" McCain, they need to prove how they are competent and better for the country.

I don't think the hardcore Dems are going to convince moderates to hate McCain as much as they do. Face it, McCain is a likeable guy. What Obama needs to do is convince voters that he is going to be a great president; not convince voters McCain is a jerk.

I'm not saying they need to swiftboat McCain with a bunch of character assassination bulls*** and make moderates hate him or whatever the hell, but they need to do a better job of defending against GOP attacks and start playing a little offense, and with a better strategy. It's ok to be negative sometimes, it's just not ok to go below the belt IMO which makes people cynical.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Then why hasn't it backfired for McCain? Who's the last national candidate that the Patton type strategy actually failed for?

You guys just totally overreacted to some joke Paris Hilton ad. But hey, I'm done giving the Dems advice.

Go with the 'McCain = Hitler' thing for all I care.

The last candidate who failed with a shallow attack strategy? Goracle 2000. He just looked like a jackass.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
You guys just totally overreacted to some joke Paris Hilton ad. But hey, I'm done giving the Dems advice.

The last candidate who failed with a shallow attack strategy? Goracle 2000. He just looked like a jackass.

lol, you say this like people in here work for the Obama campaign.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)

The one ad, Messiah ad, Blaming Obama for the Oil prices ad, the william ayers ad...

yeah, we went crazy over one (racially toned) ad.

For what it's worth:

There is a rumor going around that the "nomination" vote will be held at a private dinner tomorrow morning than when the public nomination comes up at the convention, Clinton will call for vote by affirmation for Obama. Clinton would not be in the "affirmation" vote.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
For what it's worth:

There is a rumor going around that the "nomination" vote will be held at a private dinner tomorrow morning than when the public nomination comes up at the convention, Clinton will call for vote by affirmation for Obama. Clinton would not be in the "affirmation" vote.

I'm pretty sure I agree with you - because they have to show the "unity" now... and Hilldog will assure that tonight one way or the other, even if she's lying through her teeth.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
I'm pretty sure I agree with you - because they have to show the "unity" now... and Hilldog will assure that tonight one way or the other, even if she's lying through her teeth.

It's actually a pretty smart decision. Clinton will call for her supporters to really around Obama this evening with what is reported to be a VERY strong speech. Let them vent in private tomorrow morning, then come together outside.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
It's actually a pretty smart decision. Clinton will call for her supporters to really around Obama this evening with what is reported to be a VERY strong speech. Let them vent in private tomorrow morning, then come together outside.

This does a couple of things - it gets the media to say SEE, I TOLD YOU THEY'RE UNITED, and two, it keeps the b****ing off the table.

Let's see what happens, but I think the news here is that there is news about this - meaning, they're trying to put on the best front possible and get the media to sing cumbayah for the Dems.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
This does a couple of things - it gets the media to say SEE, I TOLD YOU THEY'RE UNITED, and two, it keeps the b****ing off the table.

This is political season... even the media would flip-flop!! lol They have been pushing the "they hate each other" angle the last 4+ days.

Quick Followup:

The Obama campaign is considering an abbreviated roll call Wednesday that would allow Democratic convention delegates in Hillary Rodham Clinton’s strongest states to support her — and is mulling a plan to let delegates vote by secret ballot, according to those familiar with the planning.

The shortened roll call, which would avoid a time-consuming state-by-state canvass, would be quickly followed by a motion for all the delegates to nominate Barack Obama for president by acclamation or, under another scenario, secret balloting. The deal could be announced as early as Tuesday night, the Democratic sources said.

LOL @ this statement

The shortened roll call, which would avoid a time consuming state-by-state canvass

How about "this is the plan so that the party will appear unified, even if the democrats aren't sure if that is the case". That statement is classic spin. If the dems knew that all the of Clinton people have switched and are completely behind Barack Obama, this "shortened roll call" wouldn't even be considered.

By the way, MSNBC should not allow Keith Olbermann to work anything except his show. I understand pretty much everybody in the media has a lefty bias (except Fox News and their righty bias), but he should have a skirt and cheerleader shirt with "Obama" across the chest on it with the way he talks.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
This is political season... even the media would flip-flop!! lol They have been pushing the "they hate each other" angle the last 4+ days.

Sure, because it sells. Then, all of a sudden, to get their main man elected, THEY'RE UNIFIED! That's the way it will go.