Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:37 AM)
Ya know, i got to thinking. My analogy might be a little "touchy" given what happened to joe Bidden, but let me try and put this in a little bit of a human perspective...

Delegates are like a husband or wife. you give your time, money, and commitment to get one single person elected to be president of the united states. you are picked as a delegate because you are loyal. Then one day... the love of your life dies tragically in a car accident. It's sad. It's really really hard. You loved her. But, you have to move on. But how? In time, you might meet a new person and get married. but it's never the same as your first love.

that is an awful analogy.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the McCain campaign wasnt listening to the same speech everyone else was:

“Senator Clinton ran her presidential campaign making clear that Barack Obama is not prepared to lead as commander in chief, Nowhere tonight did she alter that assessment. Nowhere tonight did she say that Barack Obama is ready to lead. Millions of Hillary Clinton supporters and millions of Americans remain concerned about whether Barack Obama is ready to be President.”

"And when Barack Obama is in the White House, he'll revitalize our economy, defend the working people of America, and meet the global challenges of our time. Democrats know how to do this. As I recall, President Clinton and the Democrats did it before. And President Obama and the Democrats will do it again."

SOunds like she said he is ready to lead.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
that is an awful analogy.

I never said it was a good one. I am just trying to make a simple point that when you spend all your time working foe one goal and the dream is squashed, it's really tough to pivot and move another direction.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
I never said it was a good one. I am just trying to make a simple point that when you spend all your time working foe one goal and the dream is squashed, it's really tough to pivot and move another direction.

I think they are very sad that she didn't get it, but they will vote for Obama. They are diehards, they won't sit home on election day.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
one would hope. but some people are stubborn or stupid.

Well there will be a few, but I think the majority of her supporters will be there. Hopefully.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
That speech was basically the anti-campaign version of Hillary. I mean seriously like the polar opposite. I would actually vote for her if she was really like that.

Yep. She beats Obama if she had given speeches with that kind of tone to them on the campaign trail. No doubt in my mind. She'll run again in 2012 or 2016 depending on who wins in November, and it'll be interesting to see if she learned some things this time around. Sure looked like she did tonight, and I have to admit the dems are having a pretty good convention so far, although whether or not the party actually is united remains to be seen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yep. She beats Obama if she had given speeches with that kind of tone to them on the campaign trail. No doubt in my mind. She'll run again in 2012 or 2016 depending on who wins in November, and it'll be interesting to see if she learned some things this time around. Sure looked like she did tonight, and I have to admit the dems are having a pretty good convention so far, although whether or not the party actually is united remains to be seen.

That guy from Montana has 2016 written all over him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)

The vaunted "Hillary for President" protesters had a rally and attracted I believe 60 whole people. The "disunity" thing is a bit overblown, I'd wager.

i dont like obama. i just still don't buy his bulls*** and i hate listening to great guys like kennedy and warner drool over him. (yes i know it's the convention). i guess this is gonna be my first 'hold my nose' vote.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
i dont like obama. i just still don't buy his bulls*** and i hate listening to great guys like kennedy and warner drool over him. (yes i know it's the convention). i guess this is gonna be my first 'hold my nose' vote.

I'm glad to see a Democrat say this and not slob his knob like most everyone else.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)

I always found Obama a lot more believable than Edwards, who came off like a used car saleseman.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
That speech was basically the anti-campaign version of Hillary. I mean seriously like the polar opposite. I would actually vote for her if she was really like that.

That's exactly why I didn't want to vote for her. She can change character better than some academy award winning actors. She's just as false as can be.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:28 AM)
That's exactly why I didn't want to vote for her. She can change character better than some academy award winning actors. She's just as false as can be.

She's just a better politician. :D

Romney gives me the same set of creeps. There's a dream ticket... Clinton-Romney

PUKE.

:D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 07:27 AM)
I always found Obama a lot more believable than Edwards, who came off like a used car saleseman.

My thoughts exactly. This isn't really a glowing endorsement of Obama or anything either. If Obama is full of s*** then that's doubly true for Edwards IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
I found OJ Simpson more believable than John Edwards...

i dont really feel like having THIS argument... again. and obviously it's even harder for me to defend him now. BUT, i'll still say that i trust him more than Obama on his politics. How many times have we already seen Obama flip flop? Public financing? That alone was enough to sicken me of Obama. He's on that goddamn high horse about a NEW kind of politics but when it actually comes to it and he sees an old school opportunity to get an edge, his old promise flies out the window. New politics my ass. He's just as sleazy as anyone. At least Edwards stuck to the poverty thing -- something that, as we saw again, doesn't win anyone votes.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
i dont really feel like having THIS argument... again. and obviously it's even harder for me to defend him now. BUT, i'll still say that i trust him more than Obama on his politics. How many times have we already seen Obama flip flop? Public financing? That alone was enough to sicken me of Obama. He's on that goddamn high horse about a NEW kind of politics but when it actually comes to it and he sees an old school opportunity to get an edge, his old promise flies out the window. New politics my ass. He's just as sleazy as anyone. At least Edwards stuck to the poverty thing -- something that, as we saw again, doesn't win anyone votes.

Obama flipped on immunity for telecoms, no doubt. But the public financing bit was more on McCain than Obama, IMO.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)

I don't really buy Obama's song and dance, but Edwards became a completely different person from 2004 to 2007. That raises big red flags for me. That is always less believable than a guy who just seems too dreamy to be true.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Obama flipped on immunity for telecoms, no doubt. But the public financing bit was more on McCain than Obama, IMO.

obama said he'd take public financing, then since he raised more money than god could have, he changed his mind. classy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
I don't really buy Obama's song and dance, but Edwards became a completely different person from 2004 to 2007. That raises big red flags for me. That is always less believable than a guy who just seems too dreamy to be true.

it may be harder for me to see because i was so close to it all, but maybe that's true. i do know that in 07 he became more of a 'fighter' than he was in 2004. but ALSO, in 04 he was kept down by Kerry - kerry didn't want him to steal the spotlight. afterall, charisma wise... kerry or edwards? not that difficult. And also... people really DO legitimately change, or at least change tactics. and i think his wife's cancer had something to do with that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
obama said he'd take public financing, then since he raised more money than god could have, he changed his mind. classy.

So would McCain... so would I... so would you. Hell if it was me I would change my campaign slogan to "I'm rich, b****!"

Ends justify the means.

To me its all pretty irrelevant, some republican ideas are so socially conservative that there is just no way I could possibly vote for them. If they perhaps took religion out of their party platform, their ideas may be some what more appealing.