Why the OC hate?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Anyone who brings up OC's comments about Scioscia being the best manager he has played under...

Hope no one who dislikes that has also criticized Guillen's in-game managing. If so, then you're likely agreeing with Orlando, no?

It's called being a professional. Nothing like disrespecting your new manager a few months after joining the team.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Someone mentioned my biggest thing. Him being so scared of contact during DPs that has resulted in some mistakes is just wimpy to me. THis is the white sox not the... I don't even know

I have a much bigger issue with him getting in front of hard hit grounders that land right in front of him. He's made three terrible plays on balls hit just like this (opening day, at Minnesota last month, and the Upton ball from Saturday).

If you watch the White Sox on a day to day basis or at least most of the time and don't have animosity for OC, then I just can't help you. He's very difficult to watch at times.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I know I overreact in my dislike for certain players. However, when Balta, Kalapse, Santo, and Tony all agree with me, then I feel like the hatred is justified.

I'm totally with you too on this one. Even though that doesn't matter since I don't matter. :P

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
I didn't realize Garland's WHIP was that high. Also, looking at his monthly splits, he has only had one really good month, with three bad months. Post-ASB:

W-L ERA WHIP BAA

3-2 5.31 1.51 .316

We would be calling for his head if he pitched like that during the pennant chase.

Back to OC. The guy is not a superstar (sub-.700 OPS), but he is not that bad either. He has a 16.9 VORP (5th best on team) which is 16th in the league for SS. Not great, but not bad either. He just doesn't seem like a likeable player.

20 is also a ton of home runs for a ground ball pitcher in Anaheim. Also, we pretty much always called for Garland's head. He wasn't known as "Judy" for no reason.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Just like to add, Garland should have nothing to do with the love/hate with Cabrera. The two really have nothing to do with each other. If Cabrera was signed as an FA, I would still dislike him just the same.

I will say this. In the Cabrera-Garland trade thread, I said if Cabrera was brought over to lead off for this team, then trading Garland for him was a total mistake and a misuse of resources. I'm too lazy to dig it up, but if someone wants to for me, then go ahead.

He wasn't brought over to lead off for this team. He was brought over to bat number 2. He was put into the lead off spot out of necessity and it's worked halfway decently.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
He wasn't brought over to lead off for this team. He was brought over to bat number 2. He was put into the lead off spot out of necessity and it's worked halfway decently.

His bat isn't the thing that's bothered me. He's put up numbers right in line with his career numbers. It's his defense that's annoyed me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
His bat isn't the thing that's bothered me. He's put up numbers right in line with his career numbers. It's his defense that's annoyed me.

Agreed. He has been soft, as has been mentioned several times. But my response was based on the post that implied he was brought over to bat lead off. That wasn't the case.

All I care about is winning. OC seems to want to win. He is a gold glover and has done some good hitting in the clutch. He tries to get on base, advance the runner and he has some speed. Whether or not he is with the Sox next year who knows, but I wouldn't be against it

He's been a disapointment to watch defensively, from his jumps to his hesitations to his arm ... he's not a gold glover.

Offensively, minus the opening weeks, he's been a consistent hitter, game to game, at bat to at bat. His numbers don't jump out, but he's consistently brought something to the table on offense. As a leadoff hitter, I think that's more important than anything.

As for character ... any player who would rather his teammate get an error before himself isn't someone you'd want on your team, but once again, the way he's played offensively out of the leadoff spot shows he wants to win ... he just wants to secure his gold glove perception.

Anyone who brings up OC's comments about Scioscia being the best manager he has played under...

Hope no one who dislikes that has also criticized Guillen's in-game managing. If so, then you're likely agreeing with Orlando, no?

Konerko gets ripped to shreds for saying Clayton is the best SS he's ever played with, how Thomas should shut up and play becuase the need him for the second half of 2002, and how Uribe's deek on Derrek Lee wasn't very baseball friendly. Should he have kept quiet about it?

Just look at this "smart," infield leader," d-bag:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1128866,CST-SPT-sox27.article

How long did it take Cabrera to adjust?

''It probably took me until about three weeks ago,'' Cabrera said with a laugh. ''It's true. It's always difficult to get your mind on getting on base, stealing bases and just score runs. But I think I'm comfortable a couple of months already. It seems like it's working out.''

:huh: Took him that long to figure this out:

''Finally,'' Cabrera said. ''I mean, I've been so in and out the whole year. Hopefully, I finish strong and help the team. Just get on base and let the big guys drive me home.''

No s***. Ozzie said before the season the only thing that matters from a leadoff man is his OBP.

OC and all the Sox veterans are in the pennant race as we hit September. They are in the hunt. Guys like OC can be heroes in chicago the rest of their lives if they get the job done the rest of the way. Anybody who hates OC will like him a lot if not love him if he is a September/October hero and helps us win it all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
OC and all the Sox veterans are in the pennant race as we hit September. They are in the hunt. Guys like OC can be heroes in chicago the rest of their lives if they get the job done the rest of the way. Anybody who hates OC will like him a lot if not love him if he is a September/October hero and helps us win it all.

Not really. I still don't like Uribe.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Not really. I still don't like Uribe.

For 80% of the year that's right. But somehow, like magic...his numbers in Sept...better than you'd expect.

Split G AB HR RBI BA OPS tOPS+

April/March 143 480 14 73 0.273 0.751 111

May 141 510 10 40 0.233 0.631 78

June 154 571 16 79 0.249 0.692 93

July 155 505 17 68 0.21 0.622 74

August 199 687 19 87 0.25 0.699 94

Sept/Oct 168 600 33 100 0.295 0.892 145

Whether that's because the quality of pitching goes down when the call ups happen or because he's good in a pennant race, it's a regular feature of Uribe that he has a good month of September.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
For 80% of the year that's right. But somehow, like magic...his numbers in Sept...better than you'd expect.

Split G AB HR RBI BA OPS tOPS+

April/March 143 480 14 73 0.273 0.751 111

May 141 510 10 40 0.233 0.631 78

June 154 571 16 79 0.249 0.692 93

July 155 505 17 68 0.21 0.622 74

August 199 687 19 87 0.25 0.699 94

Sept/Oct 168 600 33 100 0.295 0.892 145

Whether that's because the quality of pitching goes down when the call ups happen or because he's good in a pennant race, it's a regular feature of Uribe that he has a good month of September.

Uribe is also probably the streakiest player I've ever seen in my life.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)

I can accept what your saying :gosox3:

My just-turned-5-year-old brother said "I hate that guy." when he saw his baseball card while going through some cards I gave him of this year's players. Made me laugh because I'm very sure I never said anything bad about him when we watch the games together, and he never really says he hates anyone. He even booed him at a couple of games.

His favorite player is Dye, and he likes Quentin and Griffey Jr.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
My just-turned-5-year-old brother said "I hate that guy." when he saw his baseball card while going through some cards I gave him of this year's players. Made me laugh because I'm very sure I never said anything bad about him when we watch the games together, and he never really says he hates anyone. He even booed him at a couple of games.

His favorite player is Dye, and he likes Quentin and Griffey Jr.

Geez, that's a smart kid. He'll learn about Griff, but otherwise pretty sharp baseball insight for a 5 year old.