Jay Mariotti leaves the Sun-Times!...Goes to the Tribune? Nope&#33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
''We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1131...eluca28.article

Friggin' Hilarious

Of course wasn't this the same Sun-Times who agreed to that contract? They look almost as silly trashing him as he does leaving. I think this career move will be as good as McLean Stevenson leaving M*A*S*H or David Lee Roth leaving Van Halen.

Talking about non-comps...first of all, I can't imagine any paper in the midwest even going near him. I don't know how a "columnist" could burn bridges in cities he doesn't work in, but I think he did. He's been called out too many times.

Second of all, DeLuca's column was friggin' hilarious. You KNOW he has wanted to write something like that for YEARS, but was either told not to, edited out, or was a bigger person. But now...let it out, Chris...let it out!

Jay...good luck in your career and I hope you get b****slapped by Woody Paige.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Talking about non-comps...first of all, I can't imagine any paper in the midwest even going near him. I don't know how a "columnist" could burn bridges in cities he doesn't work in, but I think he did. He's been called out too many times.

Second of all, DeLuca's column was friggin' hilarious. You KNOW he has wanted to write something like that for YEARS, but was either told not to, edited out, or was a bigger person. But now...let it out, Chris...let it out!

Jay...good luck in your career and I hope you get b****slapped by Woody Paige.

Wish it were true, I imagine the Trib is already preparing an offer.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
If Jay doesnt head up to the New York media market or to a bigger role in ESPN I will be shocked

That is a more obvious possibility. The NY or Philly markets would be a better fit.

The again, perhaps there is a rival to ESPN being planned. Not wanting to compare the two, but perhaps this is a kind of Frank Deford National-eque story with Jay being part of a group launching a rival to ESPN and SI. I think he has just enough ego and chutzpa to try.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
''We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1131...eluca28.article

Friggin' Hilarious

I so enjoyed reading that. Thank you so very much for posting it. Now I can safely go back to the ST website without being exposed that .... ummmm 'journalist's' .... drivel.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Wish it were true, I imagine the Trib is already preparing an offer.

Again, you are assuming that Mariotti actually BROUGHT people to the paper, who purchased it. 100 people yelling about him on a message board doesn't put a penny in the Sun-Times pockets, purchasing the paper does, because circulation dictates ad rates. I can point to alot of people I know who read or used to read the ST, who DIDN'T buy it because of Jay. At work, we don't read Jay, and get mad when a headline or something attracts our eye and it turns out to be a Jay article. People buy whichever format they are used to reading (tabloid style or the mega fold like the Trib), or whatever their parents used to read. I can see all of about 10 people jumping to the Trib just because of Jay.

Remember and keep repeating: Jay Mariotti resigned from the Chicago Sun-Times and walked away from a brand new, multi-year, big $$$ contract because he had an epiphany during the Olympics that the future of sports media was online.

A stand-up guy like Jay wouldn't shade or spin the truth now, would he?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/fullcourtpress/2...ay_leaving.html

http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/news-bites/...t-jay-mariotti/

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

It's interesting that he threatened to quit several times apparently, but the Sun-Times always backed down and gave him what he wanted. If the new information on why he quit is true (and it sounds like it is), he was probably shocked they accepted his resignation and is upset/unsure what to do next. That's solid.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
It's interesting that he threatened to quit several times apparently, but the Sun-Times always backed down and gave him what he wanted. If the new information on why he quit is true (and it sounds like it is), he was probably shocked they accepted his resignation and is upset/unsure what to do next. That's solid.

I think the deadspin article that says he tried to do ATH supports that. If he had some huge revelation about the future of sports media and decided the Sun-Times wouldn't work for him anymore and he was planning to resign, it would be logical for him to call ESPN and tell them to set up an alternative location for that days shoot. Sounds like he had a hissy fit, went too far and Sun-Times jumped on the golden opportunity.

I would be very disappointed if the Trib hired him. Very disappointed. The guy's take on chicago sports is old and cliche ridden. It's not like he is mike royko revisited. Mariotti isn't that good for the Trib to want him. I would be very disappointed in that paper. I'm sure the owner doesn't care about staff morale, newspaper companies don't care about their staffs, but I'd think that sports section would be so frustrated if they hired a disrespected guy like Mariotti.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
Most states have "right to work" laws on the books. Plus, most of the time the parties involved just do not care when it gets to that level. The only area I ahve heard of it being enforced was when a group of sales reps left to start their own company and took clients with them. Then the suit was like a pitchfork. Theft of trade secrets, fraud, the non comps, etc. Even then, with those guys basically putting their employer out of business, very little happened to them.

A couple of clinics I worked at had me sign a non-compete clause that I could not open my own clinic within 10 miles. I don't know if it could've been enforced, since I didn't want the hassle of starting my own clinics I really didn't care.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
A couple of clinics I worked at had me sign a non-compete clause that I could not open my own clinic within 10 miles. I don't know if it could've been enforced, since I didn't want the hassle of starting my own clinics I really didn't care.

non-compete clauses can be valid, during law school we studied them. There is a test that applies to see if they are valid, I will fire up my old laptop tonight and see if I can find my notes

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
He just got a 3 year extension in June or July and was one of the Sun-Times biggest moneymakers. There is no doubt he left on his own, and writing for the newspaper and internet are VERY different. Yes the stuff you write in the paper appears on the internet, but they are very different.

Depends how you mean that.

Apparently he submitted resignation letters all the time when he was angry about something, like a small child, and the Sun-Times finally got sick of it and said, "Leave."

Harold Ickes did that a lot in the 1940s, and so Truman eventually called him a "chronic quitter" and finally accepted it and told him to hit the road. There are just some men who like to quit on you to show you how "valuable" they are and the truth is that they aren't. No one is so valuable as that.

Jay is a good writer. A prick and a baby, yes, but a very good writer. My guess is he'll find a gig writing about regular stuff.

I wish him luck in his therapy. Actually, I wish his therapist luck in not committing suicide.