Jay Mariotti leaves the Sun-Times!...Goes to the Tribune? Nope&#33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His logic in leaving (saying the newspaper business is dying and he wants to get out while he still has other opportunities such as online) is actually totally accurate. I'm VERY happy he's gone, however the reaction in this thread is EXACTLY why he lasted so long and made so much money. The Sun-Times has to be crushed Mariotti left, he was a gold mine.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
His logic in leaving (saying the newspaper business is dying and he wants to get out while he still has other opportunities such as online) is actually totally accurate. I'm VERY happy he's gone, however the reaction in this thread is EXACTLY why he lasted so long and made so much money. The Sun-Times has to be crushed Mariotti left, he was a gold mine.

Isn't writing the same via internet or newspaper. You write a column for the newspaper...it's on the internet. You still write...right? I think it's a cop out from Mariotti....something else is up. Not that I care...because I RARELY if ever read his garbage anyway.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Isn't writing the same via internet or newspaper. You write a column for the newspaper...it's on the internet. You still write...right? I think it's a cop out from Mariotti....something else is up. Not that I care...because I RARELY if ever read his garbage anyway.

He just got a 3 year extension in June or July and was one of the Sun-Times biggest moneymakers. There is no doubt he left on his own, and writing for the newspaper and internet are VERY different. Yes the stuff you write in the paper appears on the internet, but they are very different.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
He just got a 3 year extension in June or July and was one of the Sun-Times biggest moneymakers. There is no doubt he left on his own, and writing for the newspaper and internet are VERY different. Yes the stuff you write in the paper appears on the internet, but they are very different.

Not trying to be a smartass...but how so? Just curious as to your take...which you're probably right. But it just seems to me that if you write for a paper....you have the best of both worlds. Or are you talking about the editing factor?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
I would say there is about a 60-40 chance that in 3 years the Sun-Times isn't in print anymore, instead all online.

With as big as Jay is, especially nationally, I'm not sure if he needs the Sun-Times to "support" him.

There are also more complicated issues that I don't feel like explaining, but for the most part, what he said. Plus, you have more freedoms writing online and can still make a good living if you are as big a name as he is. He'll also be on around the horn still I assume.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Much better article from the Trib

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...0,1339701.story

Just back from Beijing where he wrote about the Summer Olympics, Mariotti said in a phone interview Tuesday night that he decided to quit after it became clear while in China that sports journalism had become "entirely a Web site business. There were not many newspapers there.'' He added that most of the journalists covering the Games were "there writing for Web sites.''

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
I would say there is about a 60-40 chance that in 3 years the Sun-Times isn't in print anymore, instead all online.

With as big as Jay is, especially nationally, I'm not sure if he needs the Sun-Times to "support" him.

Not sure about the situation there...and I'm sure it's dog-eat-dog in a market with more than a few papers...but I can tell you out here in Phoenix...even with one main newspaper there's one thing I noticed. What I do for a living entails designing/supplying print ads to various papers. In some regards hasn't really tapered off that much....but the section you notice that is almost miniscule is the classified section. A few years ago...a Saturday and Sunday section were a good 14-18 pages big. These days...it's 3 or 4 pages at the most. Craigslist has kicked newspapers in the ass all over the country. Just my 2¢.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
I work for the sports department for a pretty major paper in the Chicago Area, and they are hurting, big time.

The print market is a very scary world, and many are worried about their jobs, if they still have them.

It is scary...but I don't think it will ever go away completely. I'm self-employed and do print ads, direct mail and other collateral material for automotive dealers (found my money-making niche after years of adv. agencies)...and it's one group that always needs print presence. I've come to the conclusion though that I HAVE TO learn to do web...it is the way of the world. What sucks is...CS Master Collection through Adobe....$3100. But for now I've got some Gradware to lean on. But as for the print world in general...some publications will ALWAYS be around and be profitable like some of the weekly freebie rags IMO.

Case in point...New Times in Phx...currently has around 15-16 papers (last I checked) around the country. From what I understand...only 2 are profitable though...Phoenix and Denver. Advertising-based revenue obviously since it's a freebie...but 80-20 editorial to ad content. And they charge a buttload per line.

The catch all thread is gone so I started this thread. Marotti has resigned.

Moronotti should not be missed by many Sox fans. His rips of Oz and KW and Jerry had no shock value anymore and smelled of vendetta.

His columns about Rex were in the same category. We all know Rex sucked.

The word Cubdom was dumb.

I thought his Olympics columns were supurb.

But as a Sox fan I'm glad I don't have to read the same shtick from him regarding the Sox.

Hopefully the other columnists will criticize Oz and KW when they deserve it, but not on the weird rant-like way of Mariotti.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:58 PM)
I actually put my money where my mouth is and never even visited the CST site so as to not accidentally click on one of his articles and generate any revenue.

That was my take too. I would never visit their web site just to stay away from clicking on one of his columns. So, I would never read them unless the text was posted here.

Chicagosports.com

Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti resigns

By Jim Kirk | Tribune staff reporter

9:39 PM CDT, August 26, 2008

Jay Mariotti, the opinionated and polarizing sports columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, told the Chicago Tribune he resigned on Tuesday after 17 years with the paper.

Just back from Beijing where he wrote about the Summer Olympics, Mariotti said in a phone interview Tuesday night that he decided to quit after it became clear while in China that sports journalism had become "entirely a Web site business. There were not many newspapers there.'' He added that most of the journalists covering the Games were "there writing for Web sites.''

Mariotti, whose public battles with fellow staffers, team owners, and rival columnists are legendary, didn't disclose any specific plans except to say he will continue doing his regular stint on ESPN's "Around the Horn.''

He said that he "is talking with a lot of Web sites'' and added that the future of his business "sadly is not in newspapers.'' Mariotti said that he sent a resignation letter to Cyrus Freidheim, Sun-Times Media Group Chief Executive and Sun-Times Publisher. When asked via email by the Tribune whether Mariotti had resigned, Sun-Times Editor Michael Cooke responded, "You're kidding?''

Cooke didn't reply to further requests for comment.

"They accepted it,'' Mariotti said of his resignation. "It was my call entirely.''

In a city with a strong sports journalism tradition, Mariotti is thought of as one of its premier columnists. With a style that relied on being contrarian no matter the topic, readers turned to him as much to disagree with what he had to say than agree. He added to his reputation with the scrapes he got in with the subjects he covered.

The highly-paid Mariotti quits after just signing a three-year contract extension in June. At that time, Cooke said that Mariotti was a "focal point'' of the Sun-Times sports section, praising his "pull no punches'' approach.

Commenting on his 17 years at the paper, Mariotti said he loved every minute of it. But he said that with the troubled times newspapers face, it was time to consider a new future.

"I'm a competitor and I get the sense this marketplace doesn't compete,'' he said. "Everyone is hanging on for dear life at both papers. I think probably the days of high stakes competition in Chicago are over.

"To see what's happened in this business...I don't want to go down with it.''

jkirk@tribune.com

Edited by Brian

Awful Announcing had a good quote about this:

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/0...s-position.html

It's probably a relief for most Chicagoans to see him go, but dammit if the guy isn't dead on in his reason for leaving. All this ultimately means is that he'll be on ATH more and coming to a podcast/webisode near you in the not so distant future. Chicago wins but America loses.

mully and hanley were talking about it....brian hanley sure didnt like jay....mulligan was taking the more PC approach saying he had a good relationship with jay, even though he knew jay ruffled some peoples feathers....hanley seemed more straight forward and was willing to talk about why people hated jay.....seemed like hanley resented the fact that jay got special treatment from the sun times by being able to be a high profile writer without having any accountability and being ya know, at the games and in the clubhouses

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
mully and hanley were talking about it....brian hanley sure didnt like jay....mulligan was taking the more PC approach saying he had a good relationship with jay, even though he knew jay ruffled some peoples feathers....hanley seemed more straight forward and was willing to talk about why people hated jay.....seemed like hanley resented the fact that jay got special treatment from the sun times by being able to be a high profile writer without having any accountability and being ya know, at the games and in the clubhouses

I agree. Mully came out and said he was friends with jay so he didnt want to partake in the bashing, Hanley definitely seemed like he took exception with Jays' methods and quote clipping.

They both talked about how he was good at his job and got people to talk about him