Jay Mariotti leaves the Sun-Times!...Goes to the Tribune? Nope&#33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mreye @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 06:43 AM)
Jay is a good writer. A prick and a baby, yes, but a very good writer. My guess is he'll find a gig writing about regular stuff.

I wish him luck in his therapy. Actually, I wish his therapist luck in not committing suicide.

See, I think the complete opposite. A guy who has sold his soul, but a normal guy. s***ty writer.

So if 6 months from now the curculation is up at the Sun-Times, can we lay to bed this myth that Moroniti brought people to the paper? Anyone have circulation numbers now, or recently? Can't check rightnow, I am in St. Louis and borrowing a relatives really crappy computer. It takes forever just for Soxtalk to come up, I canjust imagine a google search or something. I miss high-speed.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
So if 6 months from now the curculation is up at the Sun-Times, can we lay to bed this myth that Moroniti brought people to the paper? Anyone have circulation numbers now, or recently? Can't check rightnow, I am in St. Louis and borrowing a relatives really crappy computer. It takes forever just for Soxtalk to come up, I canjust imagine a google search or something. I miss high-speed.

These are the top 100 list made in April of 08' I believe.

http://www.burrellesluce.com/top100/2008_Top_100List.pdf

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
Again, you are assuming that Mariotti actually BROUGHT people to the paper, who purchased it. 100 people yelling about him on a message board doesn't put a penny in the Sun-Times pockets, purchasing the paper does, because circulation dictates ad rates. I can point to alot of people I know who read or used to read the ST, who DIDN'T buy it because of Jay. At work, we don't read Jay, and get mad when a headline or something attracts our eye and it turns out to be a Jay article. People buy whichever format they are used to reading (tabloid style or the mega fold like the Trib), or whatever their parents used to read. I can see all of about 10 people jumping to the Trib just because of Jay.

Yes, I am making that assumption. But it would take an assumption on your part that the Sun Times employed him for all those years and paid him those millions without any research regarding his impact on their sales.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)

And if it is down, would you give all the credit to Jay? I would not. There are too many variables in place. We would also need to know historical trends, etc. Circulation may always be down in the summer and up in the fall. So any bump could be that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
And if it is down, would you give all the credit to Jay? I would not. There are too many variables in place. We would also need to know historical trends, etc. Circulation may always be down in the summer and up in the fall. So any bump could be that.

Well, that is why I suggested maybe 6 months from now. There are a lot of people who have at least expressed that they would now read the Sun-Times again now that Jay is gone. I am one of them. i cancelled my subscription years ago, and he was a big part of the reason why. Someone at work always brought the paper in, so I read theirs. Now, I will buy my own, especially since that person no longer is with me.

I buy the Sun-Times almost every day, but I never once bought it to see what Hysteriotti would write.

I would sometimes skim his article to see what the subject was, but the headline usually indicated what he was writing about.

I would very rarely read the articles, and was usually sorry when I did.

It's nice to not see his smug smirk on that inside back page.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Well, that is why I suggested maybe 6 months from now. There are a lot of people who have at least expressed that they would now read the Sun-Times again now that Jay is gone. I am one of them. i cancelled my subscription years ago, and he was a big part of the reason why. Someone at work always brought the paper in, so I read theirs. Now, I will buy my own, especially since that person no longer is with me.

The biggest assumption is mine, that the Sun Times conducts research and knows what is selling and what is not. You are thinking not, or that they are ignoring data that shows he is driving away readers. And, IIRC advertising rates are computed, in part, on readership, not circulation. There is an underlying assumption how many different readers read a given copy of a newspaper. So as long as you are reading, you are helping.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
For me, this is like a tree falling in the forest.

I never read the Tribune or visit their site.

Jay's douchebaggery will only reach my eyes through this site.

I'm sure Steve Dahl's kid is happy. His Jay The Joke site will have some slight reason to exist again.

He sold it to another guy on the site, Dahl and the other guy who started it are no longer involved due to their jobs

I just hope we have a "Doug Collins to the Bulls" thing happening. Well, we talked about it and ultimately decided it wasn't going to work for either party.

Either way, I will continue to read the sports page of the Trib, but ignoring Mariotti's articles.