Jay Mariotti leaves the Sun-Times!...Goes to the Tribune? Nope&#33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
jaythejoke.com listed some of Mariottis most recent shots towards the trib, quite funny.

I cant even imagine what Morrissey, Downey and Rosenbloom are thinking

If Mariotti is truly going to the Trib, then Rosenbloom and Mariotti are going to implode once they are in the building together.

It should be interesting to see who's going to out-snark who.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Wish it were true, I imagine the Trib is already preparing an offer.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
Mariotti to the Tribune a matter of when, not If, per Deadspin

announcement supposed to come Monday

:(

:P You know just sayin'

Hmm, conservative Trib w/ Jay

liberal Sun Times w/o Jay.

Some of you GOP types have a tough choice.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
Not so fast, says Sun Times lawyers. They threatened to sue for No-Compete issues and the Tribune backed off

Which gets to the point, both Chicago newspapers believe he will increase circulation. If the Sun Times didn't believe it they would not be blocking this and the Trib wouldn't be trying to hire him.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Which gets to the point, both Chicago newspapers believe he will increase circulation. If the Sun Times didn't believe it they would not be blocking this and the Trib wouldn't be trying to hire him.

I think Sam Zell standing up in the Tribune newsroom and firing randomly in to the air so that the Tribune gets the exclusive story of him going nuts would increase their circulation as well.

Seriously...if I were still in that area, there are very few things that would make me flip papers. I'd be dropping the Trib and picking up my local paper or something like that in a half second if I had that decision to make

Not that I EVER gave kotex boy any credibility with me whatsoever...this statement should seal the deal as to what a two-faced rat he really is:

Mariotti said Tuesday that he enjoyed the conversation with Tribune, one of his favorite targets as a columnist. "It's not your father's Tribune,'' Mariotti said, speaking about new management in the wake of Tribune Co.'s deal late last year to go private under a deal led by Sam Zell. "I enjoyed dealing with them. I think they have a great future.''

Hey asswipe...I thought newspapers were dying?!?

What a douche nozzle......

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
I'm not an expert on contract law, but by accepting his resignation doesn't that void the NCO?

No just the opposite, if they fired him they would be voiding the non-compete.

He quit and they can not force him to work. He just can't quit to go work next door. Think about marketing or a client related business where you can quit and take you customers with you. That is the case here.

The story about Jay not liking sports really hits the nail on the head as realistically the Bears, Sox, Hawks and cubs are all pretty good franchises here and the Bulls have some nice talent.

An opinion column in Chicago now a days would be beyond simple to write.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
I'm not an expert on contract law, but by accepting his resignation doesn't that void the NCO?

Im not an expert either, but when I worked in radio they made me sign a no-compete that lasted 3 months after termination date, whether it be by resignation, firing, or retiring.

I have been told a few times that no-compete clauses are a little iffy to enforce, but who knows

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
No just the opposite, if they fired him they would be voiding the non-compete.

He quit and they can not force him to work. He just can't quit to go work next door. Think about marketing or a client related business where you can quit and take you customers with you. That is the case here.

The story about Jay not liking sports really hits the nail on the head as realistically the Bears, Sox, Hawks and cubs are all pretty good franchises here and the Bulls have some nice talent.

An opinion column in Chicago now a days would be beyond simple to write.

SWEET!

deadspin is saying the Trib is using the noncompete clause as a front, but there were rumblings of mass resignations if he was hired since the Trib just had a round of layoffs. Who knows if that's true. The newspaper industry is hurting right now, so I'm not sure if a number of people would have given up their jobs.

http://deadspin.com/5050961/tribune-kills-...pulace-rejoices

If/when he lands a job outside of Chicago I imagine one of his first pieces will be a rip job off Chicago as a whole

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
Im not an expert either, but when I worked in radio they made me sign a no-compete that lasted 3 months after termination date, whether it be by resignation, firing, or retiring.

I have been told a few times that no-compete clauses are a little iffy to enforce, but who knows

My wife is a labor/employment lawyer. She has said in the past most non competes are unenforceable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
My wife is a labor/employment lawyer. She has said in the past most non competes are unenforceable.

I think it's more that it's difficult to enforce, not unenforceable. Courts enforce them under the right circumstances. I would have to think that this would be one of them, especially since he resigned. Like everything though, depends on the language of the agreement. If all the terms are reasonable (say, "you can't work for the Trib for 2 years) it'll be enforced, if not ("you can never work for another chicago paper ever again), it won't. I can't imagine an organization like the Sun-Times not having really good lawyers who know what will and will not be enforced.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
I think it's more that it's difficult to enforce, not unenforceable. Courts enforce them under the right circumstances. I would have to think that this would be one of them, especially since he resigned. Like everything though, depends on the language of the agreement. If all the terms are reasonable (say, "you can't work for the Trib for 2 years) it'll be enforced, if not ("you can never work for another chicago paper ever again), it won't. I can't imagine an organization like the Sun-Times not having really good lawyers who know what will and will not be enforced.

I posted about this earlier in the thread, but we covered it in Contracts class, and if I remember correctly there is a test to see if they are enforceable. I still haven't dusted off my old laptop to look at the notes

IIRC much depends on the relative impact on both parties. If one is going to be harmed significantly, and the other not at all, it is generally voided. For example, if he is never going to be able to work again, he has no savings, and the S-T circulation rose when he resigned. But it could easily be argued that he has options out of market, and I would assume that the S-T only cares about in market competition.