Soxtalk: A History

Jake

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
It was Soxfantatic.com or something like that. The site was ran by Spataro who is now a poster here (people may remember him as the person who made the posts that led to this site being published in Sports Illustrated).

I will always remember the day where we got the call that they were going to file a suit against us to close SoxNet. Pretty miserable ass day. Although I think we both learned a valuable lesson about business on that day.

It was one of the worst feeling moments of my life. The time and sweat we put into it all only to have some jagoffs take it away, but it was a valuable lessoned learned indeed. Contracts are a b****.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
You aught to up his rent now that he's making the big bucks.

You pay? I've been an Admin for years and haven't gotten a dime, and he's a lowly moderator and gets money? The guy just learned how to break paragraphs.

QUOTE (Molto @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
You pay? I've been an Admin for years and haven't gotten a dime, and he's a lowly moderator and gets money? The guy just learned how to break paragraphs.

:lolhitting

I think I should split all the prior year bills with mods/admins. :lol:

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
The original ESPNers were a good group. I was over there as well. Hawkiconk, Rdivaldi, Mike, and a few others were over in the ESPN world. At lot of these guys went to other boards, fell off the end of the universe, or arrived here. ESPN wasnt bad, and we had a lot of good banter with some of the other boards. Ofx over on the ESPN Twins board, Imann over on the ESPN Royals board were a few I got along with quite a bit. One particular anti-fan and his nonsense and the endless trolls trashing the board were the reasons I found myself here.

I was with the ESPN boards in 2003 and 2004 and loved it at first. I remember those guys and I got along with Hawkiconk very well. I wonder if any of those guys still post there. Imann was very cool I thought. BoogAlou98 or 95 or whatever his number was, I did not enjoy very much. There was another guy that started with ChiSox and had some numbers after, he was an interesting guy and everyone seemed to hate him, I think Mike might've been his name but I can't remember. Anyways once the new format came for the espn boards, the Sox board and most other boards lost a lot of people. Soxtalk used to be slammed quite a bit, which is how I found out about soxtalk.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (mreye @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
That's basically my story. I think I found it with a search as well. I joined the same day as SS2K5 (I think one member # later) by chance and we slowly figured out we worked together at CBOE, rode the same train and both lived in Indiana. Small world.

Do you still work at CBOE, they are one of my clients.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I was with the ESPN boards in 2003 and 2004 and loved it at first. I remember those guys and I got along with Hawkiconk very well. I wonder if any of those guys still post there. Imann was very cool I thought. BoogAlou98 or 95 or whatever his number was, I did not enjoy very much. There was another guy that started with ChiSox and had some numbers after, he was an interesting guy and everyone seemed to hate him, I think Mike might've been his name but I can't remember. Anyways once the new format came for the espn boards, the Sox board and most other boards lost a lot of people. Soxtalk used to be slammed quite a bit, which is how I found out about soxtalk.

ChiSox361, and yea, he was annoying

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
Who was the first to be banned? OldRoman, BMR?

What ever happened to DonkeyKongero, CrimsonWeltal, asshatsoxfan (rattling off U of I people,) SuperSteve, Be Good, Queen Prawn, Capn12, and Spiff?

For most of the posters you mentioned, life got in the way. Some for happy reasons (children, new jobs), others for unhappy reasons (health, family).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
Do you still work at CBOE, they are one of my clients.

No, I left there in March of '02. I'm at National Stock Exchange now (Formerly Cincinnati Stock Exchange). I finally got a "real" job, that's why I was able to post on here so much.

Glory Days, they will pass you by, Glory Days...

:)

It is amazing to thing that a couple of days from now will be the 6th anniversary of Soxtalk. Its been a great time. I have been lucky enough to meet a lot of great people and make a lot of great memories. I look forward to what the future brings us all.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Who was the first to be banned? OldRoman, BMR?

What ever happened to DonkeyKongero, CrimsonWeltal, asshatsoxfan (rattling off U of I people,) SuperSteve, Be Good, Queen Prawn, Capn12, and Spiff?

I'm fairly certain Cluer was the first regular member to be permanently banned. For some reason it stands out in my mind. I also remember the infamous "Are You Gay" thread from 2003 claiming OldRoman/BMR. Don't know if it was their final bans, though.

I've seen DK, CW, SS, Be Good post within the last several months.

Speaking of departed members, I wonder what Brandofan is up to? There was a random moment several ago where I mentioned his name and received a PM from an unfamiliar poster basically saying "What's up Tizzle?" I replied, but never heard back. He knew baseball, but what I always loved about him was his attitude. I guarantee if he posted today he'd quickly become this sites most hated member.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
I'm fairly certain Cluer was the first regular member to be permanently banned. For some reason it stands out in my mind. I also remember the infamous "Are You Gay" thread from 2003 claiming OldRoman/BMR. Don't know if it was their final bans, though.

I've seen DK, CW, SS, Be Good post within the last several months.

Speaking of departed members, I wonder what Brandofan is up to? There was a random moment several ago where I mentioned his name and received a PM from an unfamiliar poster basically saying "What's up Tizzle?" I replied, but never heard back. He knew baseball, but what I always loved about him was his attitude. I guarantee if he posted today he'd quickly become this sites most hated member.

Maybe he is related to fathom

fathom, I kid because you seem to take pride in aggravating people. :)

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
For most of the posters you mentioned, life got in the way. Some for happy reasons (children, new jobs), others for unhappy reasons (health, family).

Hell, some of them may be dead. One day you, me, or anyone else here just may stop posting and it's possible no one will know the reason. And unless we're familiar with everyone's identity, it may go unnoticed.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
Hell, some of them may be dead. One day you, me, or anyone else here just may stop posting and it's possible no one will know the reason. And unless we're familiar with everyone's identity, it may go unnoticed.

The admins and mods have talked about that before. Maybe it's a little geeky or morbid, but a couple of us have spoken with family members or friends who would post a message. I suggested posting mine in the filibuster so some people could cheer, and a few others could mention it is in poor taste to cheer until after the funeral. :D

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
The admins and mods have talked about that before. Maybe it's a little geeky or morbid, but a couple of us have spoken with family members or friends who would post a message. I suggested posting mine in the filibuster so some people could cheer, and a few others could mention it is in poor taste to cheer until after the funeral. :D

I think we should hold a yearly Soxtalk member Death Pool. That way we could celebrate someones life......but also cheer the fact their death has given us crucial points. I would select Hi8is. Every extended period between posts I'm almost positive he has died of alcohol poisoning.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
I think we should hold a yearly Soxtalk member Death Pool. That way we could celebrate someones life......but also cheer the fact their death has given us crucial points. I would select Hi8is. Every extended period between posts I'm almost positive he has died of alcohol poisoning.

I ran a death pool at my old office. :ph34r:

BTW, checking who else joined around the same time I did, in rapid order, and on the same day were WhataGoob13, MonsterCock13, and BigNthePants83. Registered but never posted. I'm guessing we missed out on so much stimulating conversation from him (them).

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)

BTW, checking who else joined around the same time I did, in rapid order, and on the same day were WhataGoob13, MonsterCock13, and BigNthePants83. Registered but never posted. I'm guessing we missed out on so much stimulating conversation from him (them).

I think it is more than just a coincidence that they registered the same day as you Tex...or should I say BigNthePants83!

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)

So you finally figured out the registration process on the 4th try, huh?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
So you finally figured out the registration process on the 4th try, huh?

And much like "Tex" is a stretch . . .

Actually they were after me, if I am understanding the list.

But it does give a whole new meaning to "sock puppets"

I got an out of left field email from Molto .... I think, telling me about Soxtalk. How the hell he found me and knew I was a Sox fan, I guess I'll never know. But I'm glad it happened. I gotten a lot of enjoyment from this place over the years.