McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Biden wasn't a political move? The candidate of change picks an old school senator as his VP.

McCain, an old school senator, picks a young fresh face as his VP.

The experience is on the top of the GOP ticket.

Inexperience is on the top of Democratic ticket.

Yeah it's strange. Both tickets have the old, experienced white guy and the young, non white male, fresh candidate.

I'm just glad it's not Romney. I would have seriously considered Obama had it been him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I sit in an office by the main hallway separated by a wall of windows. 4 women in my office just came in here to watch the coverage. The only other time this has happened was if there was celebrity news or a plane crash on the TV. This is obviously creating some excitement.

only thing is, this actually makes life harder for Biden. remember... he can be somewhat of a loose cannon. it'd be fine if he went hardcore after a male VP but with her... i can't wait till he says something that gets spun as 'sexist'

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
Looking to solidify pissed off Hillary voters' support?

Weakens the attacks on "experience," imo.

I know she was picked for her pro-life credentials... the last time a female was selected as a token pick it was an epic fail.

We will see how this plays out. It could either be a really smart move or a really dumb one.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
She'll look hot, that's how. ;)

I wish I knew what to say, but I don't. Thankfully, we don't have to deal with sexism in today's politics.

This is a rather overt attempt to court Clinton supporters--but I think that more than a superficial look at Palin will make her unattractive to people who support Hillary's ideals.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't see this as a winning combination. What will she even talk about in the debates? Caribou?

Drilling for oil in a National Wildlife Preserve?????? :huh

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” - Joe Biden

""I've had a great relationship [with East Indians in America]. In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian Americans - moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." -- Joe Biden, speaking to Indian-Americans.

"At the University of Delaware, Biden was 506th out of 688 classmates, and a history professor said he was "trying to be the complete Joe College." In a recommendation for law school, the teacher called Biden average in "intellectual achievement" but high in "command of English language" and recommended him based "on grounds of personality and general promise." Biden ended up 76th out of 85 in his law school class; the law school dean described him as an academic "disappointment" but praised his "confidence," "general physical appearance" and "general speaking ability" in recommending him as a lawyer. "

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” - Joe Biden

""I've had a great relationship [with East Indians in America]. In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian Americans - moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." -- Joe Biden, speaking to Indian-Americans.

"At the University of Delaware, Biden was 506th out of 688 classmates, and a history professor said he was "trying to be the complete Joe College." In a recommendation for law school, the teacher called Biden average in "intellectual achievement" but high in "command of English language" and recommended him based "on grounds of personality and general promise." Biden ended up 76th out of 85 in his law school class; the law school dean described him as an academic "disappointment" but praised his "confidence," "general physical appearance" and "general speaking ability" in recommending him as a lawyer. "

Don't forget his plagiarism scandal in 1988.

Biden has his challenges, but also his qualities. I'm sure Palin has hers.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
How much experience does somebody really need to attend funerals for the next 4 years?

There is a pretty realistic chance that McCain doesn't make it all 4 years. Not saying it is a guarantee to happen by any means, but that has to be considered.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
I have to say, what happens to the red southern white men who wouldn't want a women president if McCain drops dead...(which is a possibility more than Obama b/c of his age)

If we are talking about the type of people who don't want a woman President, they are probably the same kind who don't want a black fella as President either. Most narrow minded people are consistantly narrow minded.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)

Exactly why he is a VP canidate...

What were Cheney's school rankings?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
I don't know much about her, but this does seem like a bit of a gamble.

McCain is probably looking at a big loss with women at the moment, and this might be designed to stop that bleeding?

It is a gamble, but this a direct response to the people who think he isn't conservative enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
If we are talking about the type of people who don't want a woman President, they are probably the same kind who don't want a black fella as President either. Most narrow minded people are consistantly narrow minded.

I guess that is true....put them in the "I'm not gonna vote" crowd

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
I know she was picked for her pro-life credentials... the last time a female was selected as a token pick it was an epic fail.

We will see how this plays out. It could either be a really smart move or a really dumb one.

The last time was an epic fail not because of Ferraro. It was an epic fail because Reagan was hugely popular.