McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Many people who have attacked Obama have been painted as a racist. Heck Biden himself got a taste of that.

The difference is....Obama doesn't play the "race" card in his campaign....McCain's campaign is his Military and POW experience.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
I just got to thinking as I was driving to work, how readily will McCain use the "dont attack her... she's a woman" line? We have seen over the last month that they have no shame in using his POW experience as shield on every possible political attack. How long until every attack on Palin is defended with a "dont attack the woman" kind of line?

McCain has now set up a great political shield: Dont attack him, he's a POW. Dont attack her, she's a woman.

And anybody that attacks Obama is labeled a racist. Yeah, you a valid point.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
The difference is....Obama doesn't play the "race" card in his campaign....McCain's campaign is his Military and POW experience.

he doesn't have to play that card, the MSM does it for him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
NOt just the women, EVERYONE was watching.

However, all the women in this office said it was a terrible move.

I think it may be a bad move b/c of her extreme inexperience coupled with the fact that this has all the looks of a VP pick based on image or trying to grab votes as opposed to merit. I could be wrong, as I've said, i dont follow politics as closely as most of you, but to me it seems like that could be the case.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)

Obama doesn't do that himself (I can only think of one time he made a direct reference to it outside of his speech in Philly) but the talking heads on TV do it a lot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
NOt just the women, EVERYONE was watching.

However, all the women in this office said it was a terrible move.

Really? The two quotes I got were, "Brilliant" and "Genius."

Since most of the people who have been participating in the Filibuster for the last week or so are in here...I would like to say thank you, this has been a pleasent release from White Sox baseball talk. Mostly the people who depress me....its funny you would think politics would piss me off more, but no, just wild negativity for a first place team...

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Since most of the people who have been participating in the Filibuster for the last week or so are in here...I would like to say thank you, this has been a pleasent release from White Sox baseball talk. Mostly the people who depress me....its funny you would think politics would piss me off more, but no, just wild negativity for a first place team...

GO SOX!!!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
This is the political equivlent of the sports team that picks up the really talented player with legal issues. It could work out incredibly well, or it could completely bomb, but it'll be fun either way.

Right, like I was saying it could either be really smart (Randy Moss) or really dumb (Pacman Jones).

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)

This is the only place I've ever found where most of the people are rational and can discuss politics without arguing. I'd come here for the political talk alone, but it's even better as a huge Sox fan that it's a Sox board obviously.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
I wish I knew what to say, but I don't. Thankfully, we don't have to deal with sexism in today's politics.

This is a rather overt attempt to court Clinton supporters--but I think that more than a superficial look at Palin will make her unattractive to people who support Hillary's ideals.

Sorry if my joke offended you. I realize I'm new here and you don't know my sense of humor. I certainly don't want to get off to a bad start.

Respectfully, however, I'm not sure who your "we" includes, but I think there is still a tremendous amount of sexism, racism, ageism, and all sorts of "isms" to be dealt with in politics today, as a bazillion Hillary pantsuit jokes, knightni's posted "GILF" link from Wonkette, and, to a certain extent, this pick itself attest. I don't think Palin was picked because McCain believes she'll make the best VP, I think she was picked because she is a woman and can therefore be expected to deliver Hillary supporters' votes. In essence, this is no different than an inexperienced Dan Quayle being picked because he was thought to be handsome and thus attract female votes. Or Clarence Thomas (who was never even a judge) being picked to replace Thurgood Marshall on the Supreme Court. Those are just three examples of race and sex influencing "today's politics" at the highest, most significant levels.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
This wont get the disgruntled Hillary supporters and it will offend the old boys whom McCain could count on to keep blindly voting republican. This was a monumental miscue.

Nah. You think the people who blindly vote Republican will just not vote and allow someone as liberal as Obama get in the White House instead?

Don't think so.

I think it's a great pick.

The biggest risk McCain was facing was looking too much like Bush... which is exactly what would have happened if he picked another pasty-looking ol' white man for VP.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
This is the only place I've ever found where most of the people are rational and can discuss politics without arguing. I'd come here for the political talk alone, but it's even better as a huge Sox fan that it's a Sox board obviously.

We do too argue