McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
we do, but we don't attack people...even though sometimes we want to

It got a little out of control during the primary season.

I can honestly say though, among the regular posters in here that I disagree with routinely, I like them all and feel like I can hold an intelligent discussion at any given time.

Now that both VP's are out, its interesting to talk about how the choices effect our view of the candidates...

With Obama picking Biden, I think its sort of a flat choice. Biden has some baggage, but nothing big. Foreign policy experience, big on some of the same issues as Barack, and lots of time in Congress. Overall, doesn't effect my view of Obama very much. I would rather have seen Richardson, but Biden is better than Clinton.

With McCain picking Palin, I need to learn a little more about her. But at this point, picking a 2-year governor from Alaska who is a social conservative doesn't give me any warm and fuzzies.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
what? she's good looking. Is it wrong to say that? I dont like her politics, but she is attractive.

Well. I posted a pic implying she was attractive... you flat-out said she was a MILF. There's a little bit of a difference there, doncha think?

So my big question is...Who here who has been watching the DNC is going to pay as much attention to the RNC?

The DNC had a stupendious lineup which kept me watchin, and I was in the middle of it so it was that much more exciting.

I may tune in to the RNC for the Bush speech on Monday (for laughs and giggles) and probably the McCain speech on Thurs...there is really nothing else that excites me.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton:

Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies -- that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)

Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies -- that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same.

Petty weak response by the Obama people.

Edited by scenario

McCain/Romne or McCain/Palin nothing changes. This is what his strategists are thinking, obviously. Inexperience angle obviously doesn't mean much to voters. These people know what they're doing. My second cousin worked for Clinton (I don't recall his exact title), and if you weren't aware these decisions aren't made lightly. They devote countless hours into analyzing battleground areas and their demographics, how strong the support for Hillary was within these areas, and whether undecided voters may change their vote on the basis of Palin's VP nomination.

I still have a belief McCain is going to win, though. I was utterly shocked to hear a few days ago how close the overall numbers were. Even with the overnight shift with Obama now taking the lead, if you listen to the media and their love affair with Obama you'd believe the separation would be greater.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
So my big question is...Who here who has been watching the DNC is going to pay as much attention to the RNC?

The DNC had a stupendious lineup which kept me watchin, and I was in the middle of it so it was that much more exciting.

I may tune in to the RNC for the Bush speech on Monday (for laughs and giggles) and probably the McCain speech on Thurs...there is really nothing else that excites me.

I watched the prime-time speeches passively while I was writing a paper, but the only speeches I watched intently were the Clintons and then Obama's. Originally I wasn't going to watch Obama speak because I've seen enough of his speeches by now and they're pretty predictable, but this one was historic, so I tuned in anyway.

I try to watch McCain but he's really boring. I would watch Giuliani but I hate his guts. If Romney or somebody speaks and I'm not busy doing class work I will tune in.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)

That's giving her slightly too much credit. Wasilla's population is 6,715. On the other hand, it does have a 6 person City Council!

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=49

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
I still have a belief McCain is going to win, though. I was utterly shocked to hear a few days ago how close the overall numbers were. Even with the overnight shift with Obama now taking the lead, if you listen to the media and their love affair with Obama you'd believe the separation would be greater.

national polls = useless

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Petty weak response.

Not really, it builds upon Obama's speech last night.

I don't feel like reading 8 pages of this, so if any of this is a repeat, I'm sorry. But this seems like an interesting tactic to get some of the disenfranchised Hillary supporters. I do understand the youth and the excitement she may bring, but I don't think I agree with the choice...considering McCain's age. But, we'll see. As someone on the Today Show said, every 20 years the GOP picks someone outside the box...Agnew in '68, Quayle in '88...and the thing is...both won. So, who knows. Should be fun (especially the VP debate).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
McCain/Romne or McCain/Palin nothing changes. This is what his strategists are thinking, obviously. Inexperience angle obviously doesn't mean much to voters. These people know what their doing. My second cousin worked for Clinton (I don't recall his exact title), and these decisions aren't made lightly. They probably put countless hours into analyzing battleground areas and their demographics, how strong the support for Hillary was within these areas, and whether undecided voters may change their vote on the basis of Palin's VP nomination.

Pay attention to the state polls, not the national polls.

link

10 Things You Didn't Know About Sarah Palin

Posted August 29, 2008

1. Sarah Louise Palin (nee Heath) was born Feb., 1964, in Sandpoint, Idaho. Her family moved to Alaska when Sarah was an infant. Her father, Chuck, is a retired schoolteacher.

2. She attended Wasilla High School where she played point guard on the state champion basketball team. Her nickname was "Sarah Barracuda."

3. Palin graduated in 1987 from the University of Idaho with a degree in journalism. She worked briefly as a sports reporter in Anchorage.

4. She refers to her husband, Todd, as the "First Dude." He's worked as a commercial fisherman and as a production operator on the North Slope for BP. He enjoys snowmobiling and has won the Tesoro Iron Dog, billed as the world's longest snowmobile race, four times.

5. Palin and her husband have five children, Bristol, Piper, Track, Willow, and Trig. Trig, born in 2008, has been diagnosed with Down syndrome. Her son Track joined the army in 2007.

6. Her favorite meal is moose stew.

7. She comes from a family of outdoor enthusiasts. Her parents, Chuck and Sally Heath, enjoy hunting and fishing, and have both completed marathons.

8. Palin was named Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up for Miss Alaska. In 1996 she was elected mayor of Wasilla.

9. She's a lifetime NRA member and enjoys hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling.

10. Elected in 2006, she's Alaska's first female governor and the youngest governor elected in the state.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Pay attention to the state polls, not the national polls.

Agreed but I also believe the national polls can be a "forerunner" of state polls.

I like this example by Chuck Todd:

0-3% is a tight race where one state will make the difference.

3-6% is a strong win in the electoral college

6-10% is an electoral college landslode

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)

I will say this. I read up on this a lot, and at the very least this guy deserved to get fired anyways. But if she did step in to push his firing that is not what I would want in the White house considering this U.S. attorney scandal. Too much of that B.S. the past 8 years.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Agreed but I also believe the national polls can be a "forerunner" of state polls.

I like this example by Chuck Todd:

0-3% is a tight race where one state will make the difference.

3-6% is a strong win in the electoral college

6-10% is an electoral college landslode

They are only a "forerunner" because they are published first. They aren't a true predictor of the states individually.