McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
It is a gamble, but this a direct response to the people who think he isn't conservative enough.

Weren't there any conservative, strong pro-life females in Congress that have been around for a while? I mean, she practically makes Obama look like an elder statesman.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Don't forget his plagiarism scandal in 1988.

Biden has his challenges, but also his qualities. I'm sure Palin has hers.

That was in response to AHB's "Palin scandal" post. I didn't forget the plagarism scandal, I just chose to not mention it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
There is a pretty realistic chance that McCain doesn't make it all 4 years. Not saying it is a guarantee to happen by any means, but that has to be considered.

If something were to happen to him. Our president would be a 44 year old, 2 year Governor from a state with a population of 683,478.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Exactly why he is a VP canidate...

Because he has well-established, strong foreign policy credentials, plus he is something of an alpha male, in contrast to Obama, which frees up Obama from having to get in political fistfights a bit.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Weren't there any conservative, strong pro-life females in Congress that have been around for a while? I mean, she practically makes Obama look like an elder statesman.

Palin is the ONLY one on either ticket that has any executive experience whatsoever, however minimal it may be.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)

Kay Bailey Hutchenson was the other name I heard mentioned, but it sounds like she has designs on Austin instead.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
If something were to happen to him. Our president would be a 44 year old, 2 year Governor from a state with a population of 683,478.

And if Obama's elected he will be a first term senator that ran against a joke of an opposing candidate for that position.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Palin is the ONLY one on either ticket that has any executive experience whatsoever, however minimal it may be.

You're right about that. I wonder has there ever been a ticket where all 4 were legislators?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
Kay Bailey Hutchenson was the other name I heard mentioned, but it sounds like she has designs on Austin instead.

I had heard KBH's name as well. In fact, I wouldn't have been shocked if she was the pick.

Who would you rather be president Biden or Palin........

Now that scares the living s*** out of me if McCain wins. McCain could be the model of health and he is still an age induced incident away from turning the keys to the country over to somebody that makes Obama look like a Washington lifer.

I think this is a tremendouly horific move and based superfically on the fact that women will vote for anyone.

This could get ugly.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
And if Obama's elected he will be a first term senator that ran against a joke of an opposing candidate for that position.

He also spent 8 year in the state senate. Its not his fault that his opponent liked to go to sex clubs. He was gonna beat Ryan anyway.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Who would you rather be president Biden or Palin........

Now that scares the living s*** out of me if McCain wins. McCain could be the model of health and he is still an age induced incident away from turning the keys to the country over to somebody that makes Obama look like a Washington lifer.

I think this is a tremendouly horific move and based superfically on the fact that women will vote for anyone.

This could get ugly.

I don't think it's a tremendously horrific move, but it's certainly risky and has a superficial side to it.

Hey she was a journalism major in college. REPRESENT!!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
only thing is, this actually makes life harder for Biden. remember... he can be somewhat of a loose cannon. it'd be fine if he went hardcore after a male VP but with her... i can't wait till he says something that gets spun as 'sexist'

I just got to thinking as I was driving to work, how readily will McCain use the "dont attack her... she's a woman" line? We have seen over the last month that they have no shame in using his POW experience as shield on every possible political attack. How long until every attack on Palin is defended with a "dont attack the woman" kind of line?

McCain has now set up a great political shield: Dont attack him, he's a POW. Dont attack her, she's a woman.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
political firing *cough* Justice department *cough*

If THAT story is a big deal, then we just are going to have to keep everybody out of office in Washington. I understand it's your obligation at this point to spin everything, but please. Just stick with the very legitimate points that have been handed to you (she has no experience, there goes a lot of the GOP arguments against Obama, etc) and move on.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (mreye @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
FWIW, I sit in an office by the main hallway separated by a wall of windows. 4 women in my office just came in here to watch the coverage. The only other time this has happened was if there was celebrity news or a plane crash on the TV. This is obviously creating some excitement.

NOt just the women, EVERYONE was watching.

However, all the women in this office said it was a terrible move.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
I just got to thinking as I was driving to work, how readily will McCain use the "dont attack her... she's a woman" line? We have seen over the last month that they have no shame in using his POW experience as shield on every possible political attack. How long until every attack on Palin is defended with a "dont attack the woman" kind of line?

McCain has now set up a great political shield: Dont attack him, he's a POW. Dont attack her, she's a woman.

Many people who have attacked Obama have been painted as a racist. Heck Biden himself got a taste of that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Because he has well-established, strong foreign policy credentials, plus he is something of an alpha male, in contrast to Obama, which frees up Obama from having to get in political fistfights a bit.

I was just sayin b/c if he were going for the big prize these numbers would actually be an issue. Here they are not....plus everything that you listed...

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)

That would backfire terribly and I think the GOP strategists are smarter than that (and also it would get pretty ugly because there immediately be fights about who is and isn't racist as well and it will all be complete nonsense). If she does not come across as strong and assertive then this is a complete waste of a pick and that would manifest itself in time.