McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
They are only a "forerunner" because they are published first. They aren't a true predictor of the states individually.

no no. obviously. What I have said in the past is that you might only see state polls a few times a month. So, a national poll can possibly give you a prediction of state polls. Make no mistake, state polls are what count.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Quit with the damn thank yous. Obama did the same thing yesterday. Tell your supporters to shut the hell up.

Haha, I felt the same way, I like the way Clinton handled it. "EVERYBODY SIT DOWN!" haha

I'll say this -- just from this moment McCain and Palin don't seem to have good chemistry. It's just odd looking at them standing next to each other. Like two people who have never met one another.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
This wont get the disgruntled Hillary supporters and it will offend the old boys whom McCain could count on to keep blindly voting republican. This was a monumental miscue.

DING DING, we have a winner folks.

For every women voter she "brings over", Biden "brings over" a male voter.

How does a 1 1/2 year govenor from one of the smallest states in the country play with working folks in WV, OH, PA, MI, IN, etc???

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I'll say this -- just from this moment McCain and Palin don't seem to have good chemistry. It's just odd looking at them standing next to each other. Like two people who have never met one another.

Honestly, they probably really haven't met more than a handful of times.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
How does a 1 1/2 year govenor from one of the smallest states in the country play with working folks in WV, OH, PA, MI, IN, etc???

Well, she probably hunts/fishes and being from a small town usually sends the message "working class"

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)

I think that it probably doesn't play poorly esp. if she holds her ground in the VP debate, but I can't fathom how the McCain campaign could ever bring up experience as a negative again. They'll try, but yeesh.

Btw, is it worth noting that AK was actually looking quite swingy before this move, and this might well actually help McCain in a state?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Obama spokesman Bill Burton:

Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies -- that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same.

I know your just posting a quote, but from the little I have read about her so far that appears to be flat out wrong.

I found this in a USA Today article

She stood up to the powerful oil industry, and with bipartisan support in the statehouse she won a tax increase on oil companies' profits.

and

Neither, Palin said, will the state, as she prepares to lead deliberations for a multibillion-dollar natural gas pipeline. That's the economic future of the state, a means of getting North Slope natural gas to consumers throughout North America.

I'm impressed with Palin. I've never heard her speak before today, and judging from her pictures I expected some soft spoken type. I don't believe she'll be "eaten alive" as much by Biden as seemingly everyone across every political blog I'm browsing through seems to believe.

I could definitely envision SOME undecided women (obviously can't predict the percentages) coming over to McCain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
I think that it probably doesn't play poorly esp. if she holds her ground in the VP debate, but I can't fathom how the McCain campaign could ever bring up experience as a negative again. They'll try, but yeesh.

Btw, is it worth noting that AK was actually looking quite swingy before this move, and this might well actually help McCain in a state?

Some of the same people here who laughed at the concerns over the lack of experience for Obama, are the same one hammering it home here.

How can it be worse to be #2 and inexperienced, versus #1 and inexperienced???

Anyways, with the amount of advisors and cabinets and the like, experience is pretty overrated anymore. In this day and age, the President is pretty much a figurehead anyway.

Palin is speaking right now.

She appears very comfortable, especially considering she's never been in a national spot lot and had little time to prep for this.

However, the two don't look comfortable together at all. Honestly, Palin looked disgusted at having McCain close to her.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Well, she probably hunts/fishes and being from a small town usually sends the message "working class"

so joe biden and sarah palin roll into a uaw plant in Flint, MI... who do the workers connect with more?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
What were Cheney's school rankings?

Hard not to be better than Bush and as a side note I don't recall him having a drug or alcohol problem. Has politics seriously come down to attacking someone about their scholastic performance 25+ years ago?

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
However, the two don't look comfortable together at all. Honestly, Palin looked disgusted at having McCain close to her.

Ha, I noticed this at the beginning. Before they walked off stage she seemed to be backing away while he was leaning in congratulating her.

I would hope someone within the Republican party, such as a non verbal coach, tells them how to act more appropriately.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Some of the same people here who laughed at the concerns over the lack of experience for Obama, are the same one hammering it home here.

Anyways, with the amount of advisors and cabinets and the like, experience is pretty overrated anymore. In this day and age, the President is pretty much a figurehead anyway.

dude not even close. Obama has tons more "experience" and most importantly, relevant experience than Palin does. On top of it, how much does Alaska represent the national landscape. I'd say that Illinois has a little bit of everything in it.

Big Cities, Rural Farmlands, Manufacturing, Financial, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)

How many electroral votes do they have? Can't be more than 3. It could happen, but I doubt the difference in the election is within 6 electoral votes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)

When the #1 is a soon-to-be-73 year old, cancer survivor with a medical history like 600 pages long for the last 10 years.

Nonetheless, I find her much less experienced than Obama. She wasn't governor of Texas, she was governor for 1 and a 1/2 years of a tiny state in terms of population facing few of the problems that larger states face because of their population. Before that she was mayor of a relatively small town.