McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
I suppose it's a possibility that the rise in their pants is more important than putting food on their tables these days. Slim to none, but alas, a possibility.

Past the obvious joke, the reality is no President is going to help the US autoworkers. I think they know that. The US auto industry is dying a miserable death, and there really isn't much that can be done about it at this point. Anyone candidate who says different is a bold-faced liar.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
She started by talking about her family, but, relevantly...

She talked about her fights against over spending and quite a bit about oil. She also thanked Ferraro and Hillary for breaking ground for her, which was interesting.

There wasn't a lot of substance, really, but that's expected. However, she spoke very well and with force. She's probably a better speaker than Hillary (though this was only one speech), and she comes off as honest (though we know nothing about her).

For what this speech was, I thought she did a nice job.

I thought so as well. She is a strong speaker who still comes off as feminine. I'm sure there are more people within the Democratic party thinking highly of her than several hours ago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
no it isn't irrelevant. Frankly I'm not impressed by being governor of Alaska for 1.5 years and already getting caught in a scandal. Alaska has 2/3 of a million people. That's it. They are a sparsely populated area. They have like none of the problems most states have. They have a weak state government with not much to do. Does anyone know what Alaska's state legislature is like? Is it like Georgia and she can do whatever she wants, or are they powerful and give her a semblence of what it would be like to work with a powerful legislative body? Before that she was a mayor of a town of 5,000 people. Safetytown's have more people than that.

Say you want about Obama, but working in the U.S. legislative body gives lots of experience. LBJ's knowledge of the congress was instrumental in him pushing through all of his initiatives. This whole "executive" experience thing is a fairly new phenomenon, although not that senate has ever been a popular jumpoff to pres, we've had great presidents that were senators. Frankly, being a U.S. senator is far better experience in running this country than mayor of Alaska or Rhode Island. Her education, poor. She has a undergrad degree in journalism. Obama has a law degree from harvard and served as the law reviews president. She has a freaking journalism degree from IDAHO! IDAHO! Please don't act like there are no discrepencies between these two's experience.

Alaska is also a state with oil concerns, environmental pressures, blue collar workers, guns, and it's a border state. All of which are issues in a political campaign. So actually Alaska can be a strong point.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I find the responses interesting.

Pretty easy to tell which parties people support by their comments.

Obama fans are finding faults and bashing the pick.

What a shock.

Or just continually finding critical comments made by others and posting them...

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Alaska is also a state with oil concerns, environmental pressures, blue collar workers, guns, and it's a border state. All of which are issues in a political campaign. So actually Alaska can be a strong point.

Good post. She might be more relevant on many of the hot button issues with first hand experience than anyone else in this race.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
I thought so as well. She is a strong speaker who still comes off as feminine. I'm sure there are more people within the Democratic party thinking highly of her than several hours ago.

Totally agree. But the convention speech will be much more important that this "get to know me" speech. But I'm more interested in what she has to say than McCain after hearing her today.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I find the responses interesting.

Pretty easy to tell which parties people support by their comments.

Obama fans are finding faults and bashing the pick.

What a shock.

After a few minutes, I know where she stands on enough issues to know that I wouldn't support her. But I don't know enough about her to judge whether she's a good pick or not. She's not exactly the kind of known quantity that Joe Biden is. That may turn out to be a good thing. The few minutes I did see saw her make a good speech. Of course following someone like John McCain, it's not hard to look good as a public speaker.

Border state LOL, are they facing the mass influx of Canadians into Alaska? Are the Ruskies taking canoes into Juneau? What gun issues do they have other than they are pro-gun? Oil and environment I'll give you, but blue collar workers, meh. It's such a small state and this isn't the Ohio's and Michigan's in terms of heavy press on their blue collar workers.

It seems like one side has 2 people who say they want to work with the other side and stop politics as usual, but have zero record of ever doing just that, much less going against the party line. While the other side featurse 2 people that have been called 'mavericks' who HAVE reached across the aisle and have bucked the politics as usual by taking on their own party. You all know of McCain's issues. For Sarah, Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine. Gee, someone who actually DOES take on party corruption. Now THAT is the Change We Need!

Oh, she also has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young and publicly challenged Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings. Has Obama ever said anything about the freezer guy in Loouisanna? I thought not.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Obama and Biden only have no record of reaching across party lines if you choose to ignore the record of doing such.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the big bipartisian achievement that Obama has made.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
It seems like one side has 2 people who say they want to work with the other side and stop politics as usual, but have zero record of ever doing just that, much less going against the party line. While the other side featurse 2 people that have been called 'mavericks' who HAVE reached across the aisle and have bucked the politics as usual by taking on their own party. You all know of McCain's issues. For Sarah, Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine. Gee, someone who actually DOES take on party corruption. Now THAT is the Change We Need!

Oh, she also has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young and publicly challenged Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings. Has Obama ever said anything about the freezer guy in Loouisanna? I thought not.

OK Senator Tom Coburn ®

He has admirable qualities. He does reach out. And he has a good staff, and we've worked together on a couple of things, and it's been a pleasure to work with him.

Campaign ad for Sen. Gordon Smith ®

Who says Gordon Smith helped lead the fight for better gas mileage and a cleaner environment?" the commercial says. "Barack Obama. He joined with Gordon and broke through a 20-year deadlock to pass new laws, which increased gas mileage for automobiles. Gov. Ted Kologoski praised their bipartisan partnership.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the big bipartisian achievement that Obama has made.

you can start with "All Kids Covered" here in Illinois. I believe he played an important role in that, but I may be mistaken.

You can also google search the Lugar-Obama bill and the Coburn-Obama transparency bill.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
you can start with "All Kids Covered" here in Illinois. I believe he played an important role in that, but I may be mistaken.

You can also google search the Lugar-Obama bill and the Coburn-Obama transparency bill.

I have some links if you want them.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)

See ss2k's post above yours. Show me something where he isn't following a party line.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
After a few minutes, I know where she stands on enough issues to know that I wouldn't support her. But I don't know enough about her to judge whether she's a good pick or not. She's not exactly the kind of known quantity that Joe Biden is. That may turn out to be a good thing. The few minutes I did see saw her make a good speech. Of course following someone like John McCain, it's not hard to look good as a public speaker.

Thank you for being a fine example of my point.