McCain chooses Palin for VP

HuskyCaucasian

Ethics reform typically isn't a party line. But anyways I've said this before, why the hell would you want to follow the Bush party line. That would show poor judgment, which is worse. He has gotten help from Republicans to push sensible policies, that fits reaching across party lines by any definition. Find me a time where McCain hasn't acted in his own popular self interest? The Surge? please, that wasn't ever going to hurt him.

That goes for Palin too, if she wasn't a reformer in the Republican party she wouldn't have existed. Now she's in a scandal herself.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
you can start with "All Kids Covered" here in Illinois. I believe he played an important role in that, but I may be mistaken.

You can also google search the Lugar-Obama bill and the Coburn-Obama transparency bill.

Universal insurance=Democratic issue.

Lugar-Obama: Is keeping weapons away from terrorists something the Democrats don't believe in?

Coburn-Obama transparency bill: you might have one here... I don't know much about where the party's lay on this one.

Sorry to be me being bipartisian means that you can breakaway from your party and work for a bill that isn't something your party wants to see happen. It doesn't mean co-sponsoring bills with the opposite party.

Being bi-partisan means working with the opposing party to get bills passed that should get passed. In Obama's case for president, he will need republican support for his policies. His policies are progressive. Examples of him getting Republicans to support his policies is a great example of bi-partisanship.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
683,000 people live in Alaska.

What the mayor of Rockford, IL wasn't interested?

actually this isn't fair. Alaska is about 3x the size of Rockford, Illinois.

More accurate comparison would be the cities of Louisville, Milwaukee, El Paso, Baltimore, Charlotte, Memphis, Fort Worth, Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc.

So Sarah Palin has the same "executive" experience as say, the mayor of Columbus, OH, except for the fact that the mayor of Columbus has been in this position since 1999.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)

Lugar-Obama: Is keeping weapons away from terrorists something the Democrats don't believe in?

Coburn-Obama transparency bill: you might have one here... I don't know much about where the party's lay on this one.

Sorry to be me being bipartisian means that you can breakaway from your party and work for a bill that isn't something your party wants to see happen. It doesn't mean co-sponsoring bills with the opposite party.

You're stating your opinion as a hard, unnegotiable fact here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Being bi-partisan means working with the opposing party to get bills passed that should get passed. In Obama's case for president, he will need republican support for his policies. His policies are progressive. Examples of him getting Republicans to support his policies is a great example of bi-partisanship.

I'll work with you as long as you believe what I believe is George W Bush to a T. That really isn't much of a change.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
You're stating your opinion as a hard, unnegotiable fact here.

I don't see "bipartisian" meaing that I will work with you as long as you agree with what my party believes. If people disagree that is too bad, but if that isn't the case, we really aren't going to see anything change in Washington with an Obama Presidency.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I don't see "bipartisian" meaing that I will work with you as long as you agree with what my party believes. If people disagree that is too bad, but if that isn't the case, we really aren't going to see anything change in Washington with an Obama Presidency.

One way or another, being bipartisan means you have to work with the other party to get legislation passed. Usually you either have to compromise (like Obama's thinly veiled attempt to demonstrate that with the telecom immunity thing) or you're acting in the interests of both parties already. It doesn't matter what your starting point is, the general principle of finding common ground is the same.

On CNN they are saying Palin is a member of Feminists for Life which might play to independents. I don't know anything about them. This is from the Wiki page:

Feminists for Life of America (FFL) is the largest and most visible pro-life feminist organization. Established in 1972 and now based in Alexandria, Virginia, the organization describes itself as "shaped by the core feminist values of justice, nondiscrimination, and nonviolence."[2] FFL asserts they continue the tradition of early American feminists such as Susan B. Anthony, who opposed abortion.[3] FFL is a non-profit dedicated to "systematically eliminating the root causes that drive women to abortion — primarily lack of practical resources and support — through holistic, woman-centered solutions."[4]

Feminists for Life maintains that being pro-life is compatible with feminism, and, further, that it is the natural conclusion of feminist values. Members and supporters of the organization claim that being a pro-life feminist is not an oxymoron, it's redundant.

Wiki

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
On CNN they are saying Palin is a member of Feminists for Life which might play to independents. I don't know anything about them. This is from the Wiki page:

Wiki

It will help for with the far right. She is also for the teaching of creationism in public schools.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
It will help for with the far right. She is also for the teaching of creationism in public schools.

check out the front page of yahoo

"how sarah palin went from hockey mom to John McCain's VP choice in just 2 years"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)

That isn't being bi-partisan, that's being a maverick or an independent. Those are good things too, but come on. You asked when Obama worked across the aisle, you were given multiple examples.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)

The creationism thing should help her with the crazy evangelicals....if you want to know how f***ed up they are watch the documentary "Jesus Camp" - it scared the hell out of me, they worship pictures of George W and mold the minds of young children like the Hitler youth...

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)

hmmm...don't know how I feel about that.

For anyone interested in Palin's scandal:

Palin's clean-hands reputation has come into question with an investigation recently launched by a legislative panel into whether she dismissed Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper. Trooper Mike Wooten went through a messy divorce from Palin's sister.

The governor denied orchestrating the dozens of telephone calls made by her husband and members of her administration to Wooten's bosses. She says she welcomes the investigation: "Hold me accountable."

Yahoo

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
check out the front page of yahoo

"how sarah palin went from hockey mom to John McCain's VP choice in just 2 years"

"It's an absolutely brilliant choice," said Mathew Staver, dean of Liberty University School of Law.

That is why Mccain picked her. He needs people like Staver to get the evangelical vote.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
That isn't being bi-partisan, that's being a maverick or an independent. Those are good things too, but come on. You asked when Obama worked across the aisle, you were given multiple examples.

If that is the meaning of bipartisian, then every single member of congress falls under this umbrella and we should seriously stop using the word, because it is meaningless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
If that is the meaning of bipartisian, then every single member of congress falls under this umbrella and we should seriously stop using the word, because it is meaningless.

Overused, yes. Meaningless, no.

An example of a "meaningless" word/phrase would be "judicial activism" or "legislating from the bench." This almost literally means "liberal ruling I didn't agree with" if you're a conservative or "conservative ruling I didn't agree with" if you're a liberal.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Overused, yes. Meaningless, no.

An example of a "meaningless" word/phrase would be "judicial activism" or "legislating from the bench." This almost literally means "liberal ruling I didn't agree with" if you're a conservative or "conservative ruling I didn't agree with" if you're a liberal.

Add to the overused list 'grassroots', 'progressive', 'neocon' and 'change'.

Given the circumstances, this is the best possible VP that McCain could've picked. Going with the "safer" choice of Romney or Pawlenty wasn't going to work this year.

Many people (correctly) point to gender/age identity playing a major role in the Palin decision, but that was far from the only consideration. Her voting record will energize the conservative base and her reform work against the "Good Ole' Boys" network in Alaska will weaken Obama's "Third Term of Bush" characterization of the ticket. Her charisma and speaking ability, while obviously not on the same level of Obama's, will certainly help to offset his.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
actually this isn't fair. Alaska is about 3x the size of Rockford, Illinois.

More accurate comparison would be the cities of Louisville, Milwaukee, El Paso, Baltimore, Charlotte, Memphis, Fort Worth, Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc.

So Sarah Palin has the same "executive" experience as say, the mayor of Columbus, OH, except for the fact that the mayor of Columbus has been in this position since 1999.

A sparser population actually makes it easier to govern IMO, as you don't have the problems that cities have with people on top of each other. What's their biggest town, 100,000? Naperville is bigger than that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Who in their right mind would feel comfortable with Palin as our leader if something were to happen to old man McCain? What a disastrous choice.

Who in their right mind would feel comfortable with Obama as our leader if something were to happen to old man Biden? What a disastrous choice.