CC: Hit - No Hit ~ You Make The Call

Kyyle23

47 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a hit?

• Yes Called Correct as Hit
    • No - It was an Error
    • Can't tell, too close to call
    • Shipps and Tex are morons

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm sorry, but I can't see how anyone would say that's an error.

The only way I'd say its an error is if you actually go by the "the first hit must be a perfectly clean hit" rule of thumb. If it wasn't the first hit of the game, I would think it would be ruled a hit without a question.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
The only way I'd say its an error is if you actually go by the "the first hit must be a perfectly clean hit" rule of thumb. If it wasn't the first hit of the game, I would think it would be ruled a hit without a question.

I'd be willing to bet that if it was a Pittsburg pitcher in that same situation, it would have been ruled an error.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I'm sorry, but I can't see how anyone would say that's an error.

It looked to me like all he had to do was pick up a slow moving ground ball and make the throw. The last frame or so shows the runner not too far down the base path. The ball did not take a funny hop, or anything like that. So from that one vantage point, it seemed like an error. I also think Balta brings up a good point, these things are rarely ever 100% unbiased and accurate. There are a few "unwritten rules" like the first hit being 100% clean.

I think changing this from an error would be ridiculous. You can't retroactively go back and change a ruling just to make no-hitters happen. The call was made on the play at the time it happened, and it was a 50/50 call. Dozens of plays are ruled errors and or hits every day, and if we start changing them just to get no-hitters, well, that'll really mess the the rule books.

Yost is so f***ing annoying it's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
I think changing this from an error would be ridiculous. You can't retroactively go back and change a ruling just to make no-hitters happen. The call was made on the play at the time it happened, and it was a 50/50 call. Dozens of plays are ruled errors and or hits every day, and if we start changing them just to get no-hitters, well, that'll really mess the the rule books.

I don't mind Yost doing this - its a sign of support for his player, but I really doubt even he (Yost) believes it will get changed. I totally agree that retroactively changing calls that aren't clearly 'blown' makes no sense (though the error/hit official scoring is changed post-game with some regularity).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)

He's sticking up for his guy. It may be annoying to you, but I bet it plays well in the clubhouse, and that is all Yost should be concerned with for the moment. IF and I emphasize *IF* you are going to go back, it would only happen if it "mattered". I would be most in favor of doing this for a no hitter because it doesn't take something away from one player and give it to another. An example of that would be a batting title. If that error or hit would swing a batting title, I'd clearly be against any over ruling except in a very clear cut example, perhaps fair or foul.

It wasn't anywhere near as close as Yost made it sound. The runner was moving pretty quick and was pretty far down the line and moving fast, and CC was all the way on the other side of the infield, and would've had to make a perfect throw. It's really not crazy to call it a hit.

Yost sucks as a manager by the way.

The runner was only about 40 ft down the base line when CC reached the ball, FWIW. If he picks it up cleanly, its an easy out.

Errors are definitely judged based on the individual player (which is part of what makes recording errors pretty ridiculous anyway). If Torii hunter gets to a ball that 95% of fielders won't even have a chance on, but it hits off of the heel of the glove, it will probably be scored an error. For the other 95%, it'll clearly be a hit. That also shows why defensive metrics are hard to evaluate accurately.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
he's not the ace anymore with C.C. in town.

Hes not the Brewers top starter but the man is still an ace and it would be really bad news to them if he went down for a long stint.Hopefully its not something like what Pods went through,granted Pods was a leadoff man that depended on his speed and Sheets is a SP that kind of injury can put him on the bench just as easily.

If there was ever a game that should be rules as a no-hitter, it would be the Cubs game in which Kerry Wood gave up one hit and struck out 20 (that was a definite error by Kevin Orie, imo). I still believe that was the single greatest pitching performance of all time (not in the terms of stepping up in a big game, rather just in the terms of an utterly dominant performance).