Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
I know it's part of the job desription to keep peace and keep posters from crossing a line, but how was his statement borderline. two of McCains aides and three reporters reportedly heard him call his wife a c*** and a trollup (LOL) after she razzed him about his thinning hair. Commenting on that is off limits?

Next we won't even be able to tell Cheney hunting accident jokes around here. . . sheesh. ;)

naaa. it was a bit rough. And given what has been going on her the last few days, it's toeing the line. I get it. No big deal to me.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you b****ing that you wanted more 'substance' and wondering why all she did was knock Obama, I just reread the transcript of Biden's speech, and they sure didn't seem very different. After his introduction, he mentioned his family, and a cute story about his train rides, then proceeded to criticize McCain. His 'specifics' on what they would do? here is the sum total of what he said:

Barack Obama's going to deliver that change, because, I want to tell you, Barack Obama will reform our tax code. He will cut taxes for 95 percent of the American people who draw a paycheck. That's the change we need.

Barack Obama will transform the economy by making alternative energy a national priority and in the process creating 5 million new jobs and finally, finally freeing us from the grip of foreign oil. That's the change we need.

Barack Obama knows that any country that out-teaches us today will out-compete us tomorrow. That's why he'll invest in the next generation of teachers and why he'll make college more affordable. That's the change we need.

Barack Obama will bring down health care costs by $2,500 for the average family and, at long last, deliver affordable, accessible health care for every AmericanBarack will put more cops on the street, put security back in Social Security, and he'll never, ever, ever give up until we achieve equal pay for women.

That's the change we need.

I don't see anything specific there. THEN, he goes back into McCain attack mode, trying to link him to Bush. Hearing the two speeches, I see nothing different, except that some of you don't like that this time it was your guys getting zinged.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
I know it's part of the job desription to keep peace and keep posters from crossing a line, but how was his statement borderline. two of McCains aides and three reporters reportedly heard him call his wife a c*** and a trollup (LOL) after she razzed him about his thinning hair. Commenting on that is off limits?

Next we won't even be able to tell Cheney hunting accident jokes around here. . . sheesh. ;)

I didn't say it was over the top, but I'm taking the general tenseness of the thread into account and trying to keep the peace. That just invites a fight.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
If you're a Republican you probably love it, for obvious reasons. But having said that, to be honest literally any Republican could've given that speech.

Like i said was reported earlier, it was pre-written and infused with Palin at the last moment.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
That line about Obama having written two memoirs but no significant bits of legislation is one that ought to be used and re-used in every speech. What a great job Palin did.

There were some great lines. I also liked the one about change for career or a career of change (good soundbite), but there were way too many bad jokes / dumb shots at Obama.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
For those of you b****ing that you wanted more 'substance' and wondering why all she did was knock Obama, I just reread the transcript of Biden's speech, and they sure didn't seem very different. After his introduction, he mentioned his family, and a cute story about his train rides, then proceeded to criticize McCain. His 'specifics' on what they would do? here is the sum total of what he said:

I don't see anything specific there. THEN, he goes back into McCain attack mode, trying to link him to Bush. Hearing the two speeches, I see nothing different, except that some of you don't like that this time it was your guys getting zinged.

I don't like it either way. As someone that has not made up his mind on her, I wanted to see more than silly attacks. As Pratt said, I don't mind the "he wants, we want" kind of stuff, just the dumb attacks that seemed silly and petty.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
Liek i said, she comes off as snarky in her national debut.

I would say more like smarmy than snarky. That speech made me physically sick.

And this thing with the singers and Cowboy Troy...yikes...just made me throw up in my mouth a little. Heavy handed, don't you think?

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
I don't like it either way. As someone that has not made up his mind on her, I wanted to see more than silly attacks. As Pratt said, I don't mind the "he wants, we want" kind of stuff, just the dumb attacks that seemed silly and petty.

My point is that her speech was no different from Biden's. Was his that bad for those that are complaining about hers?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
My point is that her speech was no different from Biden's. Was his that bad for those that are complaining about hers?

I just think his attacks were a little more direct and forceful where hers were just dumb jokes as many have said.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)

I didn't see Biden's to be honest, I only saw Obama's from the DNC. But when you know nothing about a candidate it certainly isn't impressive to hear them do nothing but attack the other side and talk about McCain being a POW.