Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
And what ever you do, don't run for mayor, or live in a small state.

Most people aren't running for President or Vice President in this country. The belittling of community organizing was a slap in the face to thousands of people across the country. The questioning of Palin's experience was directly a reference to her as an individual.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Most people aren't running for President or Vice President in this country. The belittling of community organizing was a slap in the face to thousands of people across the country. The questioning of Palin's experience was directly a reference to her as an individual.

I forgot, she was the only mayor in the entire country... Seriously. They are both insults. They are both meant to belittle each other.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I forgot, she was the only mayor in the entire country... Seriously. They are both insults. They are both meant to belittle each other.

How you can compare the 2 is perplexing to say the least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
How you can't see the similarities is perplexing.

9ui11ani and Palin openly mocked community organizing in front of an audience of millions. What exactly did Obama or Biden say or do that was comparable in your eyes?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
9ui11ani and Palin openly mocked community organizing in front of an audience of millions. What exactly did Obama or Biden say or do that was comparable in your eyes?

They totally demeaned and put down the entire state of Alaska and all civic and elected officials in small towns across the USA. They basically said if you aren't in a big office, or in a big state, you aren't important. Having run for an small elected office, and being from a small state, it was pretty insulting to me. Its the same flyover mentality that the Dems have had for a long time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
They totally demeaned and put down the entire state of Alaska and all civic and elected officials in small towns across the USA. They basically said if you aren't in a big office, or in a big state, you aren't important. Having run for an small elected office, and being from a small state, it was pretty insulting to me. Its the same flyover mentality that the Dems have had for a long time.

Who is "they"? Liberal bloggers?

Palin said community organizers don't have "actual responsibilities." I don't recall the Democrats having said that with respect to small town mayors. What they have said is that those mayoral responsibilities don't necessarily prepare one to be president or VP. The same doubtless is true about organizers' responsibilites, but to say they don't have any to begin with is a HUGE difference.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Palin said community organizers don't have "actual responsibilities." I don't recall the Democrats having said that with respect to small town mayors. What they have said is that those mayoral responsibilities don't necessarily prepare one to be president or VP. The same doubtless is true about organizers' responsibilites, but to say they don't have any to begin with is a HUGE difference.

It was said in the usual cutesy doublespeak and and lack of respect of referring to Palin by a lesser title.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Everyone who can't bear to actually Gov Palin by her title.

That's the big difference though. The actual VP nominee was doing the belittling in front of an audience of millions. How can you compare that to what liberal bloggers are saying?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

It was because there were people who were honestly trying to pass that off as "executive experience" that is somehow relevant to national politics, at the same time, they skip over Obama's 6 years as a state legislator as if it never even happened. So bringing up the population of Wasilla is a counter to that.

I have to say, I liked the message of McCain's speech last night, well most of it anyway. I tried to look past the fact he is not the greatest orator. I saw a lot of similarities to the Obama speech. The whole change & hope bit and a few lines seemed really similar. (This is the party of Lincoln, Roosevelt, Reagan...) The other thing I liked is that this was the polar opposite of everyone else's speech at the convention.

The thing that I really don't get is the whole look at what America has done for me bit...(His last line really pissed me off I can't remember the exact wording though.) I get the whole freedom stuff, but America put you in the cell in Hanoi, ok they got you out of it too, but you were there b/c we were fighting another useless war...I just don't get it

Another negative for me was that he couldn't even control the crowd...Obama was in front of 75K and had more control over his listeners. And what was all the hub bub in the middle with the women in the purple shirt. Was she holding a liberal sign or something then got attacked?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
It was said in the usual cutesy doublespeak and and lack of respect of referring to Palin by a lesser title.

That's a reach. Please show me where she was referred to as "Mayor Palin." The Dems have referred to, but have in no way similarly mocked, her mayoral experience.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

CNN Senior Analyst and New Yorker magazine columnist Jeff Toobin:

I thought it was the worst speech by a nominee that I've heard since Jimmy Carter in 1980.

I thought it was disorganized, themeless, I thought it was very, very boring until the end when he started talking about his personal story, which is, of course, remarkable and always important to hear. I personally cannot remember a single policy proposal that he made because they had nothing connecting them. I found it shockingly bad.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I have to say, I liked the message of McCain's speech last night, well most of it anyway. I tried to look past the fact he is not the greatest orator. I saw a lot of similarities to the Obama speech. The whole change & hope bit and a few lines seemed really similar. (This is the party of Lincoln, Roosevelt, Reagan...) The other thing I liked is that this was the polar opposite of everyone else's speech at the convention.

I respect McCain for doing that, but it would've come across as more genuine to me if they didn't let the dogs loose (Giuliani) the day before.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Another negative for me was that he couldn't even control the crowd...Obama was in front of 75K and had more control over his listeners. And what was all the hub bub in the middle with the women in the purple shirt. Was she holding a liberal sign or something then got attacked?

It was some left-wing Code Pink members who were there solely to disrupt the speech.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
I can't see Youtube at work but is this the Daily Show?

yea. John Stewart compares "pre-palin" comments about experience and sexism then plays those SAME people turning around and praises Palin for her readyness.

The main example was Rove who ripped into Tim Kaine's experience of 3 years as Gov and before that mayor of the 105th largest city. Then he played a clip of Rove praising Palin's experience.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)

His two largest applause lines were Sarah Palin and POW. That's all anyone needs to know. He couldn't even excite his own fans.