Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
It was some left-wing Code Pink members who were there solely to disrupt the speech.

Good stuff....

The anti McCain Iraq Vet CNN kept showing didn't get accosted though...I thought it was funny that they would keep showing him b/c they didn't do that with anyone during the Obama speech

that's an MSNBC move

Edited by DABearSoX

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
Good stuff....

The anti McCain Iraq Vet CNN kept showing didn't get accosted though...I thought it was funny that they would keep showing him b/c they didn't do that with anyone during the Obama speech

that's an MSNBC move

they were actually "pool cameras". Every network had the same feed.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
His two largest applause lines were Sarah Palin and POW. That's all anyone needs to know. He couldn't even excite his own fans.

The excitement factor is mitigated by the now-legendary Sarah Palin. But rallying the base isn't what McCain's good at, he has other strengths and is playing off of those.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I forgot, she was the only mayor in the entire country... Seriously. They are both insults. They are both meant to belittle each other.

I come from a town that was roughly the same size as the one she was mayor of. I know the mayor of our town.

To say that experience in any way qualifies her is ludicrous.

Again, what Obama has done in his life has NOTHING to do with the fact that she was a pick that was made solely to pander to PUMAs.

You can hardly say she was the best possible pick, or even in that group.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I come from a town that was roughly the same size as the one she was mayor of. I know the mayor of our town.

Honestly, Warrenville, IL is roughly 12,000 - 15,000 people....If Mayor Vivienne Lund (no longer) was on a parties ticket....I would have to move to Canada

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)

Again, what Obama has done in his life has NOTHING to do with the fact that she was a pick that was made solely to pander to PUMAs.

You can hardly say she was the best possible pick, or even in that group.

None of that was a part of the arguement going on her.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
His two largest applause lines were Sarah Palin and POW. That's all anyone needs to know. He couldn't even excite his own fans.

I actually know someone who was there, and talked to them this morning on a conference call. He one of our directors of Sales, and is a delegate from Minnesota. He liked the speech, as well as a lot of others. I thought the ending of the speech was great, the call to service. The only thing your constant ad hominem attacks on anything opposing Obama does is ad post count. At this point both parties are pretty aligned with their side. The limited undecided are not going to be moved by constant Snarky attacks and blatant conjecture. You are turning into the political version of Jabroni, a former poster.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I actually know someone who was there, and talked to them this morning on a conference call. He one of our directors of Sales, and is a delegate from Minnesota. He liked the speech, as well as a lot of others. I thought the ending of the speech was great, the call to service. The only thing your constant ad hominem attacks on anything opposing Obama does is ad post count.

That wasnt my opinion. I heard that on at least 2 other networks last night.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I actually know someone who was there, and talked to them this morning on a conference call. He one of our directors of Sales, and is a delegate from Minnesota. He liked the speech, as well as a lot of others. I thought the ending of the speech was great, the call to service. The only thing your constant ad hominem attacks on anything opposing Obama does is ad post count. At this point both parties are pretty aligned with their side. The limited undecided are not going to be moved by constant Snarky attacks and blatant conjecture. You are turning into the political version of Jabroni, a former poster.

You might want to look up the definition of "ad hominem".

I don't hate McCain, as I could stomach him winning a lot more than I could Hillary. However, someone please tell him to stop doing that thing with his arms where he's trying to show he's pumped up by sticking them straight out. Either that, or his jacket was on way too tight.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
That wasnt my opinion. I heard that on at least 2 other networks last night.

Oh 2 networks is your source. Well I would rather go with the actual human being that I know as opposed to the MSM who might have an agenda.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
I don't hate McCain, as I could stomach him winning a lot more than I could Hillary. However, someone please tell him to stop doing that thing with his arms where he's trying to show he's pumped up by sticking them straight out. Either that, or his jacket was on way too tight.

He only does it when he sees the MSM. He lays there like a slug. It's his only defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)

He can't lift them more than that...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
I think literally he can't, doesn't he have some kind of lingering shoulder injury from his time at the Hanoi Hilton?

Exactly...

I can't hate the arm thing b/c of his disability but I can hate him winking every 2 seconds...unless he has turrets that I am unaware of

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
You stated the speech didn't excite his own base. I give you an example from the base, and you tell me he is partisan.

I'm not saying they didnt like the speech. I'm just saying they didnt really get into except for those two points.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
what in the hell were they thinking with that picture in the background?

A bunch of you have speculated that the intention was actually to use Walter Reed Medical Center but that someone goofed and pulled a picture of Walter Reed Middle School.

mccain-wrms-sg-big.jpg

But here is an interesting thing brought up by TMP:

It turns out that the building behind McCain was also used as the backdrop for Matt Sanchez's announcement of his presidential candidacy on The West Wing.

Take a look:

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)

He can't lift his arms higher than that because of the beatings he took as a POW. As for the speech, the strategy to me is clear. Sarah Palin's speech was designed to unite the farther to the right, bible thumping, gun toting, *insert more lame cliches here* "base" of the party. John McCain's speech, on the other side, was designated to go after the so called "conservative" democrats, moderates, and independents. I think this strategy in itself is very good, but the question is if it worked or not.

McCain isn't a very good speech giver, but what he said just seemed very genuine and I did like that. I was especially struck by the line "we were elected to change Washington and we let Washington change us". That was a direct (and deserved) shot at George W. Bush. He took a few other shots as well IMO, and I liked hearing that admittance that the last 8 years haven't been good. The one thing I have learned in this election is I don't think any of the four people on the tickets for both sides are anything but good people, even if I don't always agree with them and their politics. So in that sense, this is a rare election and we could probably do worse (ie the last two elections, where nobody was likeable, or any good to be honest).

Edited by whitesoxfan101