MacDougal impressions

southsider2k5

So is there any real report on how Mike was looking at AAA before he got called up? I have seen his numbers over the last month or so, but those don't always tell the real story? Is his fastball back? Is his control there at all? Any chance he can be close to his former self and give us another reliable right handed set up guy in case Linebrink isn't 100%?

Only the report from the newspaper reports on call ups. He had more K's than innings pitched and the Sox were impressed with his turnaround. The story either on the Tribune or Sun-Times website said that Mac had asked for a trade when he was sent down. The Sox wouldn't and are now happy with his turnaround. He apparently is happy too. He was making $2.65M at AAA with one more year on his contract.

MacDougall has really turned things around as of late and he looked absolutely phenomenal last night. He could turn into a major factor with the Sox bullpen getting crap figured out and inevitably with the Sox making the playoffs. I say that because a MacDougall that pitches close to his potential immediately becomes the Sox 2nd or 3rd best reliever (Thorty/Jenks).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
MacDougall has really turned things around as of late and he looked absolutely phenomenal last night. He could turn into a major factor with the Sox bullpen getting crap figured out and inevitably with the Sox making the playoffs. I say that because a MacDougall that pitches close to his potential immediately becomes the Sox 2nd or 3rd best reliever (Thorty/Jenks).

MM pitching like he did at his best is second only to Jenks in our pen, IMO.

He looked like he had put on weight. I am not sure if it was his toned down delivery or what but I thought he looked really good.

Logan looked good as well.

Wasserman got hit hard but right at people.

I think McDougal would make it over Russell if there is even a glimmer of hope that there is the 2006 McDougal out there.

I think you had to be up before sept 1 to be eligible for the playoffs but I'm not the expert. Also he looked great yesterday but I'm not ready to see him in any important situations just yet. He might be able to play the role of luis vizcaino who was exceptionally good after he was reduced to meaningless innings/ extra innings when there was nobody else

I've never ever ever liked MacDougal. Awesome stuff, but never liked his delivery, which has led to injury problems, and his obvious control issues ... but yesterday was a different pitcher. The path of his delivery seemed identical, which is still annoying, but it was MUCH more controlled and fluid. With his stuff, that's what he needs to do. Stay relaxed, go to the plate and let talent do the rest. It was very nice to see him yesterday, granted it was only for three batters.

Still, throwing with your team down a few runs and pitching in a tight game or with a lead are two different scenarios. Not sure if MacDougal is capable of handling those situations consistently. Yesterday was encouraging, especially considering how he's been the butt of a lot of people's jokes.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
From what I seen he has a new delivery as well. He is looking more at the catcher on his release than the ground as he use to.

I didn't see the game. Did his velocity drop with a different delivery?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
When he's throwing strikes, the level of nasty is off the charts. Everything dances.

I believe I have heard that from past stories too. His stuff is so nasty that Cooper said no one should be able to touch the guy, but it was his control and confidence that were the problems

QUOTE (Molto @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Still, throwing with your team down a few runs and pitching in a tight game or with a lead are two different scenarios. Not sure if MacDougal is capable of handling those situations consistently. Yesterday was encouraging, especially considering how he's been the butt of a lot of people's jokes.

The Sox problems lately have been pitchers coming in with leads and them blowing them. So if it takes a 2 or 3 run lead for him to be comfortable, great! The Sox get that often enough and blow it. maybe he can change that into a positive.