Media Bias: Perceived or Real? To what extent, and where?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
Just false and hyperbolic.

Well most people in the buster follow politics at least mildly so we have heard about Rezco to some extent, especially us living in Chicago. However, there has been more coverage of Bristol Palin from the MSM the past three days than there has been about Rezco in 19 months. Theres no doubt that there are significantly more people that dont follow politics that know that she is pregnant that probably have no idea who Tony Rezco is or why he is going to jail.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:45 AM)
Well most people in the buster follow politics at least mildly so we have heard about Rezco to some extent, especially us living in Chicago. However, there has been more coverage of Bristol Palin from the MSM the past three days than there has been about Rezco in 19 months. Theres no doubt that there are significantly more people that dont follow politics that know that she is pregnant that probably have no idea who Tony Rezco is or why he is going to jail.

I guarantee you people in Illinois know more about Tony Rezko than they know about Bristol Palin.

And the difference between Rezko and Palin is timing. If all of this came out about Obama's home purchase yesterday, there would be a frenzy. But it came out in december 2006, before his candidacy I believe. And since then, it really hasn't gained steam. And don't tell me the Tribune didn't try to nail him on Rezko. There was the day reporter after reporter from the tribune grilled him and he walked off the stage. But then, you have to say this effectively killed the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...0,7855333.story

If there's nothing illegal there it's hard to merely just state that he knew him over and over. It's a bad connection to have, but it's not 24/7 coverage sustained over however long these many months have been bad, you must concede.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
Whatever happened to pretty much all of March and April when all we heard about was Obama and his pastors? Yea, the media really buried that one!

They dont talk about that anymore, and...thats a much bigger deal than the personal life of a 17 year old girl. When Obama has to disassociate himself from someone new every month it makes think he might not surround himself with the best people.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)

I just don't see this. Rezko came up a lot, on and off, for a while. Much more so than Palin's daughter, who has been in the news for 2 days.

Now, if we're still hearing a bunch of hulabaloo about her in a month, we can talk.

By the way, to be clear, I find the Palin daughter coverage to be sickening. Its completely irrelevant to the political process, and I think it should be left alone. Unfortunately, sex sells, and sex + politics sells BIG TIME (see John Edwards). If this was Biden's daughter, you'd be hearing it just as much, and it would be just as disturbing.

They dont talk about that anymore, and...thats a much bigger deal than the personal life of a 17 year old girl. When Obama has to disassociate himself from someone new every month it makes think he might not surround himself with the best people.

Are you trying to tell me the media is playing up Bristol Palin more than Rev. Wright?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Par for the course for how long the story has been out. They were talking about it on Maxim radio for christ sakes

That's probably because she has...

...oh nevermind, I won't go there

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)

They don't talk about it because there's not any more to the story. It was national news for a good month or so. EVERY cable news channel was non-stop Rev. Wright.

Edited by StrangeSox

How do you want the media to balance stuff? Do not cover Palin's daughter until there is something to "balance" it? Should it balance over time, every issue, every article? Imagine if the press said sorry we can't cover Monica Lewinski until we have a scandal on the other side to "balance"?

So we can pick article by article, compare two totally unrelated news articles, but in the end we have a free press that has done a hell of a lot to keep this country free. It has exposed crooks on both sides of the aisle. It has shone spotlights on wrong doing from both parties. It covers what the public wants.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
So we can pick article by article, compare two totally unrelated news articles, but in the end we have a free press that has done a hell of a lot to keep this country free. It has exposed crooks on both sides of the aisle. It has shone spotlights on wrong doing from both parties.

Let's be honest here, putting a 17 year old on TV over and over in an attempt to belittle and humiliate is nothing close to exposing corruption. It was over the line, even Obama came out against it. she isn't running for office, she isn't in politics, she isn't even an adult.

I laugh when people talk about the "liberal media" or "mainstream media". The three major networks are not even close to being liberal or progressive. I would say they are moderate to right in their politics. The right has done a great job at spining it to look like CNN And MSNBC are owned and ran by communists.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
Let's be honest here, putting a 17 year old on TV over and over in an attempt to belittle and humiliate is nothing close to exposing corruption. It was over the line, even Obama came out against it. she isn't running for office, she isn't in politics, she isn't even an adult.

I agree, which is why I was so disappointed that McCain chose to issue a press release and alert the media. Shameful stuff.