Sarah Palin

YASNY

This whole thing is a farce and a huge reason that I hate politics sometimes. My favorite part of Palin's "speech" (aside from the blatant lies, the making fun of people like she's a child, and all that) was her taking a long time to introduce her son who conveniently joins the forces on 9/11, and her other child, who conveniently means votes from those with special needs interests, and her husband, who conveniently reminds us all of our friends, but she completely dissed and ignored her pregnant teenage daughter.

Palin should be ashamed of the hate-filled speech she gave. How is her comparing Obama to Christ NOT being ripped apart? Why does she get a free pass? BECAUSE SHE'S A HOCKEY MOM AND DOESN'T BELONG HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
Getting back to the attendence game, apparently Palin out rated Biden 37 million to 24 million.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080904/D93079DG4.html

Actually she outdid Obama. Barry had 4 more networks covering his speech than Palin. So if you account for that she had over 40 million viewers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
This whole thing is a farce and a huge reason that I hate politics sometimes. My favorite part of Palin's "speech" (aside from the blatant lies, the making fun of people like she's a child, and all that) was her taking a long time to introduce her son who conveniently joins the forces on 9/11, and her other child, who conveniently means votes from those with special needs interests, and her husband, who conveniently reminds us all of our friends, but she completely dissed and ignored her pregnant teenage daughter.

Palin should be ashamed of the hate-filled speech she gave. How is her comparing Obama to Christ NOT being ripped apart? Why does she get a free pass? BECAUSE SHE'S A HOCKEY MOM AND DOESN'T BELONG HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I doubt that the fact that Palin has a child with Downs Syndrome will affect voting patterns of disability rights people.

I vaguely remember Biden being involved with the ADA, right?

Palin Tries to Fire Librarian for Not Supporting Censorship

Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

Emmons had been city librarian for seven years and was well liked. After a wave of public support for her, Palin relented and let Emmons keep her job.

It all happened 12 years ago and the controversy long ago disappeared into musty files. Until this week. Under intense national scrutiny, the issue has returned to dog her. It has been mentioned in news stories in Time Magazine and The New York Times and is spreading like a virus through the blogosphere.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)

I wouldn't call that convenient, and its not something I think she or he did for political reasons.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)

A lot of the "issues" brought up around Palin - their daughter being pregnant, for example - are pure B.S. But I must admit, things like this, and her involvement in the trooper firing, concern me. Seems she likes to use her position of power for her personal crusades and vendettas.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
A lot of the "issues" brought up around Palin - their daughter being pregnant, for example - are pure B.S. But I must admit, things like this, and her involvement in the trooper firing, concern me. Seems she likes to use her position of power for her personal crusades and vendettas.

the whole firing for "lack of support" is VERY bothersome to me. That's hard core Washington politics at it's best (well, worst). Dont be a decenter. Dont disagree. if you do... you;re gone.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I doubt that the fact that Palin has a child with Downs Syndrome will affect voting patterns of disability rights people.

I vaguely remember Biden being involved with the ADA, right?

Quite the opposite. I have a daugher who was born with Down Syndrome, and am involved with a few different support groups in our area. In one of the groups, it seems that I'm in the minority of folks (possibly the only one) who thinks that she's allowing the party to exploit him by making an issue of it. Come on, he's not a circus freak that we're paying to see! He's a child, albeit one with special needs; why make such a huge issue of it (IMHO)? But they're all gushing over it, saying how wonderful it could be. No thanks--I don't agree with using a child like that.

Also, maybe if she'd been more supportive of sex ed in her home state, her 16-yr old might not be preggers at the moment. This is directly from page 20 of the 63-page vetting posted earlier in the thread:

Palin Said She Would Support Abstinence Only Education Instead of Sex-Ed and Distributing

Contraceptives in Schools. Asked if she would support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education

instead of explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in

schools, Palin responded, “Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.” [Eagle Forum

questionnaire]

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)

which were some of the worst parts about the Bush admin.

ABC News: Investigation into Palin Now on Fast Track

ABC News has exclusively learned that Alaska Senator Hollis French will announce today that he is moving up the release date of his investigation into whether Gov. Sarah Palin abused her office to get the Alaska public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, fired. The results of the investigation were originally scheduled for release Oct. 31 but will now come almost three weeks earlier, according to sources.

I take this as a "get you butt into gear Palin" move. She has been trying to stonewall the investigation until after the election. Reports are today that two potentially damaging witnesses already interviewed. So, maybe this is a move to get her to trestify. If she doesnt, the report gets released with mostly the "bad stuff" and no push back.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

I have to say, I have relatively few secessionist friends.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
ABC News: Investigation into Palin Now on Fast Track

I take this as a "get you butt into gear Palin" move. She has been trying to stonewall the investigation until after the election. Reports are today that two potentially damaging witnesses already interviewed. So, maybe this is a move to get her to trestify. If she doesnt, the report gets released with mostly the "bad stuff" and no push back.

I think you are right. How outrageous to suggest with the spotlight on them, to move the investigation to the board where she appointed all three of them, especially with all this "loyalty tests" coming to light.

Jet for Sale on e-bay... not so true

Sarah Palin, in her speech, told a carefully stated -- but accurate -- story of putting a state-owned jet up for sale on eBay.

Palin did not, as the ADN reported at the time, succeed in selling it on eBay; she tried and failed.

She didn't actually claim to have though:

While I wa
s
at it, I got rid of a few thing
s
in the governor'
s
office that I didn't believe our citizen
s
s
hould have to pay for.

That luxury jet wa
s
over the top. I put it on eBay.

And she did put it on eBay, which seems like a good piece of symbolism and a clever stunt, even if she wound up selling it through more traditional channels.

But McCain, retelling the story, misstated it today:

"You know what i enjoyed the most? She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor and sold it on eBay -- made a profit," he said, introducing Palin.

Well, no. And the state sold it at a loss of half a million dollars.

I got to thinking last night in the vacuum of SoxTalklessness, what reputable government official would ACTUALLY sell government property on e-bay? especially a milti-million dollar jet. That's a stunt if you ask me

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

I got to thinking last night in the vacuum of SoxTalklessness, what reputable government official would ACTUALLY sell government property on e-bay? especially a milti-million dollar jet. That's a stunt if you ask me

This is the kind of B.S. I was referring to earlier. So McCain made a small misstatement. So Palin may have chosen to use eBay to sell something, which may actually have been a good idea. So the f*** what? How does this relate to McCain or Palin's ability to lead?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

Considering that they are in Alaska, and buyers for a jet could be from anywhere, why not? Does it make you feel better to nitpick everything? What next, they use a comma out of place in their latest press release? OMG!

QUOTE (jheath160 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Quite the opposite. I have a daugher who was born with Down Syndrome, and am involved with a few different support groups in our area. In one of the groups, it seems that I'm in the minority of folks (possibly the only one) who thinks that she's allowing the party to exploit him by making an issue of it. Come on, he's not a circus freak that we're paying to see! He's a child, albeit one with special needs; why make such a huge issue of it (IMHO)? But they're all gushing over it, saying how wonderful it could be. No thanks--I don't agree with using a child like that.

Also, maybe if she'd been more supportive of sex ed in her home state, her 16-yr old might not be preggers at the moment. This is directly from page 20 of the 63-page vetting posted earlier in the thread:

She has done nothing but shown support and love for the child. If she was the VP, don't you think thats a powerful advocate for children with special needs. If she dismissed the child, hid the child, and never mentioned the downs syndrome people would be outraged.

And the snark about sex ed is a joke. I am sure that she got pregnant because she has never heard of contraception. Maybe she jumped up and down 3 times after intercourse because she can't read a book. You realize that even with proper contraception that people do in fact get pregnant. You realize the most popular barrier method does break from time to time.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)

My sister said she read that Palin actually cut federal funding to programming that helped the parents of special needs children in Alaska.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
She has done nothing but shown support and love for the child. If she was the VP, don't you think thats a powerful advocate for children with special needs. If she dismissed the child, hid the child, and never mentioned the downs syndrome people would be outraged.

And the snark about sex ed is a joke. I am sure that she got pregnant because she has never heard of contraception. Maybe she jumped up and down 3 times after intercourse because she can't read a book. You realize that even with proper contraception that people do in fact get pregnant. You realize the most popular barrier method does break from time to time.

WHile she is a Pro-lifer, and abstinence person, according to Time, "She is Christian and pro-life, but also a supporter of birth control: she's a member of Feminists For Life (FFL), an anti-abortion, pro-contraception organization". The snark on sex-ed assumes that she didn't talk about it at all with her daughter. Many of the abstinence only advocates teach ttheir kids about the rest, they just don't want the schools to do that. They can sometimes barely teach math, they are supposed to also teach about sex?

While I don't like the Palin pick on many levels, it occurs to me that it did one very good thing for McCain's campaign (other than the obvious and discussed female vote, and a play towards the social conservatives). By choosing a social conservative, and one who takes up a lot of media spotlight, this move frees up John McCain to go back to being John McCain. On an issue/policy level, he can move a little more towards center, which is more where I think he likes to be (he can do this with Palin out there as the preacher). It also takes some of the pressure off McCain in regards to being some great speaker, and an attack dog. Palin can take on these roles some of the time now, allowing McCain to get more into his own element.

I guess that's two good things, really - allowing him to moderate his stances a bit, and taking some fo the media pressure off.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
My sister said she read that Palin actually cut federal funding to programming that helped the parents of special needs children in Alaska.

She INCREASED IT! She cut the amount of the increase from 300% to 175%. So, in government speak, that is a cut, I guess.

QUOTE (jheath160 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)

I gotta say, I was pretty disgusted that she had that child in the middle of all that noise. Not because he has DS, but because he's 5 months old and should have been in bed. I don't think anyone would have faulted her for saying "Sorry Trig couldn't be here.. it's a bit past his bedtime."

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
I gotta say, I was pretty disgusted that she had that child in the middle of all that noise. Not because he has DS, but because he's 5 months old and should have been in bed. I don't think anyone would have faulted her for saying "Sorry Trig couldn't be here.. it's a bit past his bedtime."

that would have been a cute moment

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
She INCREASED IT! She cut the amount of the increase from 300% to 175%. So, in government speak, that is a cut, I guess.

Ya got a link so I can read about it myself? TIA.