Ozzie Says Crede May Be Out for the Year

clyons

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Yes, his rehab assignment in Charlotte lasted how many games?

Its not that simple. We don't know anything about his rehab regimen or what the docs and trainers knew.

In any case, this sucks. Crede's career may be ending here as well, which would be really sad.

He didn't REALLY mean that Joe is not going to be available the rest of the year.

It's just another Ozzie "if they're not available to play, I act like they don't exist" comment.

Mark Gonzalez spun it to make an eye-catching headline... that's all.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
Its not that simple. We don't know anything about his rehab regimen or what the docs and trainers knew.

In any case, this sucks. Crede's career may be ending here as well, which would be really sad.

Either way, it maybe the last time we see him in a White Sox jersey as well, and he deserves better than that IMHO.

Just a sad way for him to go out possibly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)

You both miss my point. Uribe was playing well in Joe's absence. Joe went a mere 2 for 16 in a short rehab assignment in Charlotte, and only went 3 for 19 since coming back up.

This is a pennant race, and right now, believe it or not, Uribe is a better third baseman than Joe Crede. Joe shouldn't have played unless he was the better option. He couldn't and didn't show that.

Your right though, this sucks regardless. We've likely seen the last of Joe in the Silver and Black.

Saying he was rushed back from a rehab assignment isnt that simple at all. He had surgery late in the offseason, started the season slow in ST, popped in April-May, and now is back to square one. Maybe he was rushed at the beginning of the season because he is showcasing for next year, and it started the downward spiral that got him to where he is now

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
Saying he was rushed back from a rehab assignment isnt that simple at all. He had surgery late in the offseason, started the season slow in ST, popped in April-May, and now is back to square one. Maybe he was rushed at the beginning of the season because he is showcasing for next year, and it started the downward spiral that got him to where he is now

I'm certainly not a doctor, but in this instance, given that this particular rehab assingment had already been aborted once (on August 1st), I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that activating him after he played only four games in Charlotte following his epidural was a rush. Of course, we'll never know whether that contributed to or had anything to do with yesterday's flare-up, but I never said it did.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm certainly not a doctor, but in this instance, given that this particular rehab assingment had already been aborted once (on August 1st), I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that activating him after he played only four games in Charlotte following his epidural was a rush. Of course, we'll never know whether that contributed to or had anything to do with yesterday's flare-up, but I never said it did.

With the playoff roster deadline passing, they didnt really have a choice

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
The bad thing is that Crede will definitely get starts when he returns to try to prove that he is healthy. He, of course, will not be healthy and will likely hurt the team during a crucial time of the year. So, those obligatory few games where we "have" to give him a chance, before we decide he's not our best option and still clearly injured, will end up being negative for the team.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)

True, I see your point as to why he was activated. Handing him his job back over a semi-hot Uribe when Joe hadn't hit in forever though was a different story. I guess I just would have liked to have seen Joe hit in the minors before he sent Uribe back to the bench. I'm bothered that Ozzie doesn't seem to think hitting in the minors is needed to get playing time in a pennant race (See Owens last night and Josh Fields, starting DH, today).

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Funny, Joe Joe will be ending his career with the White Sox in a way nobody imagined, but certainly not to anyones surprise. Unfortunately for him, he will never get his big payday with only himself and Boras to blame.

Im sorry, but this was a totally predictable scenario.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)

Crede was on the DL at the time so there wouldn't have been any issue getting him on the post-season roster. In fact, the Sox can pretty much put whomever they want to on the post-season roster because they have a couple players on the disabled list.

Bottom line Crede wasn't a part of this team for the past 2 months and the Sox got along fine without him. A healthy Crede is significantly better than Uribe, but Juan did a tremendous job replacing Joe and I expect more of the same out of Juan. I wish Joe the best of luck when he leaves Chicago this off-season but right now the club is better with Juan starting (as opposed to a banged up Crede).

I wonder if he should have taken the whole year off. Maybe nothing would have helped. If you have back surgery and play baseball, how can it not flare again? You are swinging the bat at BP all the time, bending all the time. I'd love to see a study on guys who have back surgery and continue playing baseball and football. How it holds up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
I wonder if he should have taken the whole year off. Maybe nothing would have helped. If you have back surgery and play baseball, how can it not flare again? You are swinging the bat at BP all the time, bending all the time. I'd love to see a study on guys who have back surgery and continue playing baseball and football. How it holds up.

Back problems typically do flare up occasionally. There are a number of guys who go back to playing baseball and football. The typical rehab time is 3-6 months. However, everyone reacts differently and most players will say that it takes 8-12 months before you feel "normal" again.

I'm not sure what's going on with Crede but he really shouldn't be having the problems that he is havbing, if everything is right in his back. It may just be that he needs to get used to the way his back will feel but he just isn't comfortable with it and it may take the rest of the year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
His defense will sorely be missed. He made outstanding plays at the right time, but his bat seriously sucks when he's hurt. I'd like to sign him back to an injury incentive deal since we have zero other options at 3B. (yes that includes you Josh Fields)

all these errors he's made this season, you could just tell he wasn't right. At first i thought it was just rust, but when they continued to mount you had to figure his back was acting up. I admire him trying to gut it out. He's got a lot riding on next off season, who can blame him?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
His defense will sorely be missed. He made outstanding plays at the right time, but his bat seriously sucks when he's hurt. I'd like to sign him back to an injury incentive deal since we have zero other options at 3B. (yes that includes you Josh Fields)

Um, Juan Uribe?

Or are you talking into the future?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)

What? Joe's defense has been atrocious all year. I think, even with all his time on the DL, he still leads all 3B in errors... We would have been better off with pretty much anyone at 3B this year instead of Joe.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Um, Juan Uribe?

Or are you talking into the future?

I dont think Juan has the range that Joe Crede does. Joe makes stops that Juan simply cannot make. Juan is a very good defensive 3B, but Crede seemed to come up with that diving stop, or short hopper exactly when it was needed. Outside of that, he didnt bring much to the plate this year though. 3B is an obvious hole on this team.