Jason Bourgeois up with Sox

maggliopipe

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
I think your knowledge of our farm system is about 2 years out of date.

I don't think the fact that you disagree with me about how good Haeger is gives you the right to claim I'm ignorant when it comes to the farm system. What was factually inaccurate about my statement? Also, now that Richard is up, I'm really curious who the good or even decent starting pitchers in the system are outside of Poreda, Egbert, and maybe Ely. Broadway, Whisler, McCulloch, Harrell...these guys are execrable prospects. Haeger has one very good minor league season under his belt and, as a knuckleballer who's way ahead of the curve, has legit upside. I'm don't think you can say either of those things, let alone both, about any of those guys.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
and deservedly so

It brings up a few points, notably that the White Sox pitching depth within the system was terrible (and still is, though it's improving) and that Haeger was also more of a wild card than he was a surefire prospect. If Haeger has a career in the bigs, I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to Steve Sparks than Tim Wakefield

Well, he's accomplished a lot more than Wakefield had at his age. Wakefield was about as good at 25 as Charlie was at 22. Then, after that, Wakefield regressed far worse than Charlie has the last two seasons, getting torched in both the majors and minors before he finally put it together at 28.

If Charlie's career is similar to Sparks, which is possible, I still think this move is incredibly stupid. Who are these alleged pitching prospects you guys are speaking of? It saddens me if people have any hopes for the guys I mentioned above, who IMO are fringe-prospects at best. Sparks was good enough to eat up 1300+ major league innings. I don't think we have five, let alone ten, guys in the minors good enough to do that. I'd expect all but a few of our current "pitching prospects" to throw fewer than 75 innings at the major league level. Charlie on the other hand, should at least pitch several seasons in the majors, even if it's as a long reliever or a mop up guy. I just don't see the upside to guys like Whisler, who have never had a good season in the minors (he's never even posted a 2:1 K:BB ratio), or the downside to keeping Charlie on the 40 man when we have next to no minor league talent to speak of. In a well stocked organization, he's the odd man out but here I don't think you can DFA him without undervaluing him or overvaluing some pretty worthless prospects in this system.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Just because Haeger was DFA'd doesn't mean he's gone. He most likely will just be outrighted to Charlotte.

That'd be great if Charlie likes the team enough to stick around. I gotta say though, if I were him, I think I'd go to a more progressive organization that's more likely to value him. The White Sox are pretty scouting oriented so they'll likely allow Haeger to be passed on the depth chart by an unimpressive pitcher like Whisler because he apparently has a good arm, whereas an organization like Oakland would value Charlie much higher and give him more opportunities as a result.

Edited by Jeremy

I'm not sure what you have a problem with in my comment.

You said Charlie Haeger was one of our top pitching prospects in a lousy system.

Two years ago this was true. Today it is not.

The Sox have done a good job of drafting pitchers the last two years, and a few other guys from previous drafts have stepped up and shown promise. As a result, the quality of pitching in our system has improved significantly and Charlie has slipped down the prospect depth chart.

Bottom line: If the Sox still thought Haeger was one of their top pitching prospects they would not have DFA'd him. Pretty simple.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not sure what you have a problem with in my comment.

As I mentioned, I didn't care for the notion that anyone who values Haeger more than most other pitching prospects in the system must be uninformed. It's my opinion and while I understand it's not shared by many, I don't think it's unreasonable or unfounded.

You said Charlie Haeger was one of our top pitching prospects in a lousy system.

Two years ago this was true. Today it is not.

I believe he'll contribute more at the major league level than all but a few guys we have in the system. If you disagree that's fine but obviously, there's not one definitive answer when it comes to evaluating prospects.

The Sox have done a good job of drafting pitchers the last two years, and a few other guys from previous drafts have stepped up and shown promise. As a result, the quality of pitching in our system has improved significantly and Charlie has slipped down the prospect depth chart.

Aren't Ely and Poreda the only two pitchers from the past two drafts above low A ball? The other guys aren't high picks, haven't dominated at the low levels, and won't be in the majors any time soon so they don't seem as useful to me. They certainly don't make Haeger expendable when they're that far away.

Bottom line: If the Sox still thought Haeger was one of their top pitching prospects they would not have DFA'd him. Pretty simple.

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with teams cutting players they consider to be amongst their best prospects, so I'll agree with you that determining how much the Sox valued Haeger is simple. Whether they valued him correctly is more complicated.