9/9: White Sox vs Blue Jays, DH G2: 7:11, CSN

fathom

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
This team needs diversity in the lineup. We need to sprinkle some guys who can hit line drives around to agument the power hitters.

I agree with this. I would love to add some guys who hit line drives and are gap hitters who make consistent contact. Kenny needs to find a couple guys that are the happy medium between the s***ty fast slap hitter and the pure HR hitter.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
It's difficult to find those fast, fundamental, good hitting ballplayers. They tend to crash and burn for some reason. Dole out double digit millions on a power bat, and they seem to be more proven entities.

Screw fast. Just give me a guy who can hit gap to gap and sprinkle that in our lineup. We have way to many one dimensional types of guys in our lineup.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:31 AM)
First off, he hasn't gotten "the most" out of his talent every year. And even if he did, that doesn't make him a great manager. In some aspects it does. But in-game, Ozzie is completely clueless.

I didn't know the Sox were a 50 million dollar payroll team.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
OBP IS NOT THE SAME AS BATTING AVERAGE.

Walks are really nice, I like hitters who take walks. But it looks like you are saying that Swish is a better hitter just because his OBP is higher. Walks don't drive in runs. Those players are without question better hitters than Swish (other than Uribe) until Swish bats .260. He's just no good right now, .228 with a .600 on base isn't good enough. You have to be able to hit to be good.

ok, thats fair if thats what you think, i just disagree, thats all..... ill respectfully say we have a differnce in opinions on what we value in our hitters...nothing wrong with that, i tend to think im right, just as im sure you tend to think you are right, no point in arguing it further

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
Bulls*** again.

Alex Sanchez is a career .296 "hitter" yet was released by the Tigers after "hitting" .322 in 2004.

Was he a better hitter than Frank Thomas?

I didn't say you know everything from batting average. You'd always like to have all numbers at your disposal, knowledge of defensive prowess and a player's talent. Batting average is still much more telling than OBP, which is the point I was making. It is rare to see a player bat .300 and not be able to say that he is a good hitter, or at least has hit well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Agreed, and when we make trades to try and add speed, we end up lowering the talent level of the squad (Lee for Pods)

That is the problem, you shouldn't be looking to add speed, but rather fundamentally sound hitters. Guys who hit line drives and make consistent contact.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Agreed, and when we make trades to try and add speed, we end up lowering the talent level of the squad (Lee for Pods)

Yeah, but Lee was a POS and quite frankly, is a loser. Guys like him are great hitters and all, but the teams they are on never amount to anything.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 02:32 AM)
That is the problem, you shouldn't be looking to add speed, but rather fundamentally sound hitters. Guys who hit line drives and make consistent contact.

It really sucks we couldn't get Miguel Cabrera this offseason.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
ok, thats fair if thats what you think, i just disagree, thats all..... ill respectfully say we have a differnce in opinions on what we value in our hitters...nothing wrong with that, i tend to think im right, just as im sure you tend to think you are right, no point in arguing it further

That's fine. I'll take a lineup of .310 BA hitters and you can have .360 OBP guys.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I knew there was a reason I stopped following our minor leagues.

haha its so sad....if it wasnt a poreda start, or a kanny game at the end of the year....my attention to the minor leagues was so much less

I didn't say you know everything from batting average. You'd always like to have all numbers at your disposal, knowledge of defensive prowess and a player's talent. Batting average is still much more telling than OBP, which is the point I was making. It is rare to see a player bat .300 and not be able to say that he is a good hitter, or at least has hit well.

No it isn't, and the Shawon Dunstons, Alex Sanchezs, and Juan Pierres of the world show that time and time again.

OBP tells how often a player doesn't make an out. Batting average doesn't. Slugging percentage gives a strong idea how much power a player posseses. Batting average doesn't.