fathom

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
batting average isn't a determining factor either... but I'd take a guy who hits around .300 with a .320 OBP over the guy batting .230 with an OBP around .340 any day of the year.

Depends on what their slugging percentage is IMO. If the guy hitting .300 has no pop whatsoever and the .230 guy has a lot of power I'll take the guy hitting .230. If the power is close than I agree with you though.

OBP IS NOT THE SAME AS BATTING AVERAGE.

Walks are really nice, I like hitters who take walks. But it looks like you are saying that Swish is a better hitter just because his OBP is higher. Walks don't drive in runs. Those players are without question better hitters than Swish (other than Uribe) until Swish bats .260. He's just no good right now, .228 with a .600 on base isn't good enough. You have to be able to hit to be good.

That's idiotic. A player who 1.5 times more likely to get on base than make an out isn't "good enough." How do you know pitchers aren't scared s***less seeing the guy and he rarely gets a chance to hit something good?

daa, this team is what it is. This is a HR hitting team first and foremost. It's been that way since about 2000. It's going to take an entire makeover and change in organizational philosophy before you see a change. So it's not even worth complaining about things like OBP, sac bunting, ect.

edit: sorry for the late response. I was cooking.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
That's idiotic. A player who 1.5 times more likely to get on base than make an out isn't "good enough." How do you know pitchers aren't scared s***less seeing the guy and he rarely gets a chance to hit something good?

I was exaggerating about the .600 on base, obviously.

Just saying, bottomline you need to hit the ball consistently to be a good major league baseball player.

As far as Oz, we'll have to agree to disagree.

When his moves don't work, I don't agree with them. I still think he's great.

I still say no matter who our manager is in ANY LOSS you will be able to blast that manager for anywhere between 5 and 10 moves.

I like what Oz brings to the table. No sense arguing it. I mean even a 10-run loss there are at least 5 things you could second guess the manager about.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 02:26 AM)
daa, this team is what it is. This is a HR hitting team first and foremost. It's been that way since about 2000. It's going to take an entire makeover and change in organizational phillosophy before you see a change. So it's not even worth complaining about things like OBP, sac bunting, ect.

Agreed, and when we make trades to try and add speed, we end up lowering the talent level of the squad (Lee for Pods)

No, it's not. It's useful, but only looking at on base tells you nothing. You can look at batting average and know a lot.

Bulls*** again.

Alex Sanchez is a career .296 "hitter" yet was released by the Tigers after "hitting" .322 in 2004.

Was he a better hitter than Frank Thomas?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
It's sad to see Griffey have absolutely no power. It was like when Jordan couldn't even dunk at the end of his career.

Griffey has the body of a 50year old man. Fat gut and an even fatter ass.

HAHA at Broadway. He's f***ing terrible.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Agreed, and when we make trades to try and add speed, we end up lowering the talent level of the squad (Lee for Pods)

It's difficult to find those fast, fundamental, good hitting ballplayers. They tend to crash and burn for some reason. Dole out double digit millions on a power bat, and they seem to be more proven entities.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
i swear i ve heard the hawk say"meanwhile we get a couple of guys on with no outs and can t do anything with it" a dozen times over the last week,the return of corpseball...

What's with these random pictures you're posting?

Second guessing is so easy to do. The Yankees second guessed Torre all the time; now they have a clown in Girardi. Oz has gotten the most out of his talent this year. Any manager we had you can second guess 10 moves in any loss. That's a fact. He's a great manager.

First off, he hasn't gotten "the most" out of his talent every year. And even if he did, that doesn't make him a great manager. In some aspects it does. But in-game, Ozzie is completely clueless.