Blue Jays @ White Sox 7:11

letsgoarow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
Yeah, Thorndog has never given up a hit/run in a big situation or a big HR late in the game. So your option is to trade on of the better closers in the game and move thorton there....and then what? Bring up the Booner to get out tough lefties? Maybe we can get Cotts and Ardsama back too.

Well Thornton has never been a guy who is way worse against righties though. The SLG is a bit high against righties, i will say that. OBP near the same for R and L batters

Also righties SLG is higher against Jenks than Thornton, for whatever its worth.

Everyone keeps arguing this about how good Bobby is. I dont disagree w/ that. But no one is addressing my point that he would have so much trade value that he'd allow us to retool.

Instead we'll just get older, when we should be building more around youngsters CQ,ARam,Gavin,Danks. To win now and later.

Who else do we move, unless it's all to be solved with FA spending?

How much retooling is really necessary though? I'd bring in a guy at 2B, 3B, and another starting pitcher, but even that might not be necessary. You could make a few minor changes to the pitching staff but I wouldn't overhaul it by any means. This team just seems set to make a run again next year with a few tweaks to the current roster while adding depth to the organization as a whole. Perhaps when a few of these contracts start coming up those discussions should begin, but for now, I'm completely satisfied with the state of the White Sox organization, other than the injuries of course.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
I can't remember the exact situation, but I think the last game I watched on TV, Thornton was horses***. I know he walked at least 2 guys and pitched like a woos that night.

Probably that last game in Cleveland. I remember he pitched like dog-crap but got out of the inning.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Well Thornton has never been a guy who is way worse against righties though. The SLG is a bit high against righties, i will say that. OBP near the same for R and L batters

Also righties SLG is higher against Jenks than Thornton, for whatever its worth.

Everyone keeps arguing this about how good Bobby is. I dont disagree w/ that. But no one is addressing my point that he would have so much trade value that he'd allow us to retool.

Instead we'll just get older, when we should be building more around youngsters CQ,ARam,Gavin,Danks. To win now and later.

Who else do we move, unless it's all to be solved with FA spending?

Why can't Bobby be part of that "re-tooling"? Why do you get rid of what a majority of teams are in desperate need of? What happened to the Mets, Tigers, Indians, and on and on and on that lost/never had a good closer? They lose games that they should win. You don't trade the f***ing anchor of your bullpen just to say "hey we aren't old anymore!!!"

We have 4 decently reliable starters. A future all-star 2b/SS, an MVP in LF, Thorton as a setup guy, a bright future for another good 2b/SS guy, Swish at 1B, etc.

The thing I see this team doing is trading BA in the offseason since they seem to despise him for whatever reason. Signing a middle infield guy and looking for a veteran 5th starter.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
Why can't Bobby be part of that "re-tooling"? Why do you get rid of what a majority of teams are in desperate need of?

The position is based out of a belief that the real Jenks is that higher ERA we saw the last two years, and that this year he has been the beneficiary of luck more than lights out stuff. And the fact he does give up hits pretty regularly (and does not K people) back some of that up.

Again, he's still very good, but he probably has higher value than anyone else we'd consider trading, and the monetary cost to keep him will keep rising. So now's peak time, if we want to consider it.

The team needs OBP next year to be a title contender. A trade may be the way to get it unless maybe Hudson as FA. If they dont get OBP they'll be like this year but a little older and worse.

I assume a trade wont happen however.

Also regarding the bullpen - Jenks out Poreda in. Setups: Liney, Dotel, Closer: Thornton...Poreda as heir apparent. I would do all this to hem up the top of the batting order which is a gaping hole. I dont want to run Jenks out, again, but I value top of the order hitting more, and the FA market doesnt seem like it provides enough.

And the window is closing with our older run producers.

Edited by Princess Dye

Also regarding the bullpen - Jenks out Poreda in. Setups: Liney, Dotel, Closer: Thornton...Poreda as heir apparent. I would do all this to hem up the top of the batting order which is a gaping hole. I dont want to run Jenks out, again, but I value top of the order hitting more, and the FA market doesnt seem like it provides enough.

I can't tell if you are joking. What the f*** is wrong in having Jenks as closer? My god. I'm sorry but Dotel is horses*** at least for his salary. Thornton is nowhere near as reliable as Bobby. I repeat: What's wrong with having Jenks close? People hate their own reliable players so much it sickens me. Dotel and Thornton over Bobby? My god.

Edited by greg775