Broadway starting sunday...

letsgoarow

Hmm, I guess I'll take hanging to being shot. Seriously, we either catch some lightening in a bottle or we don't. I prefer a guy who has some success at this level. He made the transition from AAA to MLB and managed a couple good outings. Now, depending on how the Tigers are playing that day, he has to make the transition from a poor MLB team to a good one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I hear the reliever as starter debates start I wonder why teams do not just find 9 or 10 Bobby Jenks and toss each one out there for an inning. But we do know why.

Have a starter start and bring in your pen as necessary. Teams win games they should not win on paper, hell this team is in first place.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
That would be great, no liriano or slowey...we would actually have a chance to win the series!

They could definitely move Slowey up to Thursday, but as of now that's how their 5-man rotation works out.

Liriano will pitch the final weekend, so the Sox will definitely miss him unless they go to a 4-man rotation, which seems unlikely.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
I guess I'm in the minority because I recall 2 VERY good starts from Broadway...one from the end of last year and one this year. Everybody's basing there anxst on his relief performances. Big differences IMO. Just my 2¢. I have no problem with him starting at all...especially if it gives the staff a little break. Geez-us...THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!............

Broadway is not that good. His problem this year is lack of control and the inability to keep the ball in the park. In those 2 starts you are referencing, he was facing the Royals. Lets see how he does against a a decent team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Tribune is saying 4-man rotation after Sunday.

That means the matchups in Minnesota:

Vazquez-Baker

Buehrle-Perkins

Floyd-Blackburn

The Twins have an off day right before our series. I wonder if they would alter the rotation to get Liriano in.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
The Twins have an off day right before our series. I wonder if they would alter the rotation to get Liriano in.

The twins always alter their rotation so that their big guns hit the sox down the stretch. Expect Liriano to hit us as well.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
The twins always alter their rotation so that their big guns hit the sox down the stretch. Expect Liriano to hit us as well.

The only thing that might stop them is that they are playing the Rays before the Sox. That's a tough series at Tampa. They will need their big guns to win there too.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
Is there any reason we couldn't start Adam Russell, let him throw three or four innings? He's been effective generally, and it seems to me underused. We've got a gazillion pitchers to get through the game.

Russell hasn't been stretched out more than an inning or two in a long time. And he hasn't been effective anyway. He has a 5.26 ERA, a 1.56 WHIP, and batters are hitting .294 against him, and after 30 pitches they hit .375 against him. Not a starter candidate.

Broadway makes the most sense right now, or maybe Carrasco.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Broadway is not that good. His problem this year is lack of control and the inability to keep the ball in the park. In those 2 starts you are referencing, he was facing the Royals. Lets see how he does against a a decent team.

Whomever starts from the minor league is probably not as good as someone who is on the 25-man roster. But the Royals are a MLB team and a step up from AAA. And everyone has their day, sometimes good and sometime bad. :gosox1:

The Royals have beat some good pitchers and the Tigers have lost to some mediocre pitchers. Maddening, but that is why they play the games.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)

I'd be shocked if they did not. Beating the Rays is .5, beating the Sox is a full game. Plus, it's what every athlete wants. Let's each trot out our best and may the best man today win.

I'm betting Carrasco is warmed up and stretched out in case they have to end this Broadway show early.

Lance gave up a boatload of homeruns this year in AAA.

I'm going to say a special prayer to the baseball gods that Maggs, Cabrera, and maybe a few of the other Tigers bangers get Sunday off.

I don't understand why Egbert isn't called up and given a chance. He improved in the second half after a bad start and keeps the ball on the ground...gave up 40% fewer homers than Broadway had 16 more Ks than Broadway in 16 fewer innings.

It's not like either of them have any overpowering stuff..they are very similar except that Egbert keeps the ball down a bit more and misses a bit more bats.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't understand why XYZ isn't called up and given a chance.

I edit slightly so my answer isn't led too far astray. At this point in the season, teams are trying to eliminate as much chance as possible. The devil you know is preferably to guesses.

wow everyone was fine with broadway after his first start this year - in which he was solid. now everyone's freaking out because he's had a bad one since. jeez people, relax. it's one game, and if we make the playoffs we need a healthy rotation. And this one particular game, no matter who starts, will not make the difference between whether we get there or not. I'd say it's a matter of how we do over the course of ALL the remaining games. but that's just me.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
I edit slightly so my answer isn't led too far astray. At this point in the season, teams are trying to eliminate as much chance as possible. The devil you know is preferably to guesses.

Chance of Richard sucking....100%

Chance of Broadway sucking....90%

A 10% chance of not sucking isn't much chance at all. I'd give the ball to Egbert, Poreda...anyone.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Pujols was like a 5th rounder...

13th round actually.

402nd player chosen.

Sounds crazy now doesn't it?

The Sox picked a first baseman in that draft too...

Casey Rogowski... with the 399th pick... three players before Pujols.

Edited by scenario