DJ....He Gone

fathom

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Iam not looking forward to hearing Stone's ten minute answers to what should be one sentence answers.

I will admit his uncanny way of predicting what is going to happen next is crazy,awesome,and almost Eveel.

couldnt agree more...overall i like stoney, but i think stone is intelligent and knows what he is talking about, but the guy just talks and talks and talks sometimes....at least he will fill the void during hawks silent fits

Edited by daa84

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

IMO the quality of the booth just improved 1000%.

Not only is Stone MUCH more interesting than DJ (not even comparable)...

He seems to make Hawk raise his game... no small feat.

Count me as a huge fan of this move.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
I'll miss smooth jazz wnua 95.5. Hope he catches on with Fox so I could catch games he calls from time to time. I figured this was coming but now that its so it will be weird to watch games without em both. Hawk and Stone will be weird, like eating canned tuna with watermelon.

That and your sig are two of the funnier things on this site.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
If it turns out that Hawk ran DJ out after running Wimpy out, I'll be pissed. The guy is a hack announcer. He must have pictures of Reinsdorf of Boyer or who ever makes the decision.

Hawk and DJ didn't always get along but they've become pretty good friends and I think Hawk repsects Darrin. DJ in the right booth can be above average but with Hawk its tough. I would prefer Stone and DJ than Stone and Hawk but both are upgrades over DJ and Hawk.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
People have such strong feelings because we all watch a lot of games, and therefore, we have to listen to these guys all the time. I can't believe someone wouldn't have a strong feeling either way.

I don't know. I don't really care either. Sometimes I like to mute the games and I find it more enjoyable. Very few announcers add anything to the game. Hawk used to be one of them just on his antics alone, but his flavor has run out. At this point, I wouldn't mind if they ran an audio loop of "Pulp Fiction" during games. I don't need an announcer to tell me what's going on, let alone care if they get fired or not. After all, the most enjoyable experience is at the ball park where you can't hear the announcers. Now, if only I could mute the announcers but keep the sound effects...

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 04:50 AM)
I don't know. I don't really care either. Sometimes I like to mute the games and I find it more enjoyable. Very few announcers add anything to the game. Hawk used to be one of them just on his antics alone, but his flavor has run out. At this point, I wouldn't mind if they ran an audio loop of "Pulp Fiction" during games. I don't need an announcer to tell me what's going on, let alone care if they get fired or not. After all, the most enjoyable experience is at the ball park where you can't hear the announcers. Now, if only I could mute the announcers but keep the sound effects...

Several years ago, I believe it was NBC, actually broadcast an NFL game without announcers. It didn't go so well, but that also was at a time when they didn't have all the information they now show on the screen. It might be better received now.

I love Hawk, but he does drive me crazy. I cringe when a borderline pitch goes against a White Sox pitcher, because everyone knows whats coming next. I love Hawk's homerism, and love that the emotion when the Sox do well is genuine. Maybe Stone's perspective as a pitcher, and status as a broadcaster will temper Hawk's tendency to rip on umpires every chance he gets.(He often overlooks the bad calls that go the White Sox way) It could be a match made in heaven.

As far as DJ goes, he's a guy who has been in the booth for 9 years now. From where was at the beginning, its obvious he's worked very hard to get better, and its paid off. He's genuinely a nice person. You might not care if he is out of a job, but I don't find it silly that a lot of people have sympathy especially considering it isn't because of his performance he's been dropped, its because a bigger name was available.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
Hawk and DJ didn't always get along but they've become pretty good friends and I think Hawk repsects Darrin. DJ in the right booth can be above average but with Hawk its tough. I would prefer Stone and DJ than Stone and Hawk but both are upgrades over DJ and Hawk.

That.

I think they should've just got rid of Hawk. I always preferred DJ over all the senile ramblings of Hawk. DJ and Stone would've been a great duo. :(

Hopefully... the Sox are only making this move so that Hawk isn't a wet blanket for the rest of the season if... the Sox is really planning on replacing DJ with Stone, then replacing Hawk with DJ.

I'm just dreaming, but that would've been an even better scenario.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

IMO the quality of the booth just improved 1000%.

Not only is Stone MUCH more interesting than DJ (not even comparable)...

He seems to make Hawk raise his game... no small feat.

Count me as a huge fan of this move.

I don't think anyone said they're not a fan of getting Stone into the booth. That is clearly an improvement. I think people are angry that DJ is the one to go, and Hawk gets to stay and continue to suck.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)

Well, you suck. We've been over this a hundred times.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Wow, I never realized so many people are tired of Hawk and are fans of DJ.

Seriously. DJ provides some of the most bland coverage I have ever listened to. He was a very average commentator and the fact he has made it this long in Chicago really amazes me.

Not a bad guy... but just doesn't bring anything useful to the broadcast aside from his insight on playing Japan.