'Anonymous' Hacker Group Gets Palin's Emails

StrangeSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
My admittedly limited knowledge of the laws of evidence is that information obtained by an illegal act is only inadmissible if the perpetrator was acting as an agent of the government (law enforcement). If they were not, I think, the evidence COULD be admissible.

I spent a little time researching and you nailed it. The value is what gets tricky. Juries seem to take a dim view of criminals as witnesses, especially those that were committing crimes at the time. Also. like many posters here, the juries can be conflicted whether they believe that evidence was "fair".

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
I can't help but believe that if it was Obama's personal email account that was hacked and made public, this thread would be 10 times longer and filled with indignation about 'dirty Republican tactics".

And yet, this thread has multiple Dems and independents (I'll include myself here) that find this dispicable. That would seem to indicate your paranoia may be unfounded.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
Actually, by law she is required to save and record every e-mail that is for government purposes. And based on what I have read, many of these were. The problem is that if he were to delete her yahoo account, those e-mails would be gone and likely not to be seen again. She could keep "dirty" politics on her yahoo account and we the public would be none the wiser since her "official" Gov account didnt have the juicy stuff.

I can tell you that almost every elected official does at least some limited official business on their private emails. Most are just better at hiding it, and they won't use stupid yahoo accounts to do that. Email is a tough thing for electeds to use responsibly, because their life is 24/7 their job, its hard not to have private and public life mesh. Case in point: NJ Governor Jon Corzine dated the NJ CWA president while he served in the Senate. He loaned her money for a house, and then before he ran for governor - so there would be no conflict of interest, forgave the loan. This all came back up again when the state union's bargained for a new contract.

There was such a clamor for releasing of private emails between those two (which may have had some business, but were probably just cute or dirty emails sent to each other, but most definitely embarrassing IMO) that the Governor of New Jersey swore off email completely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
And yet, this thread has multiple Dems and independents (I'll include myself here) that find this dispicable. That would seem to indicate your paranoia may be unfounded.

It's not cool in my book. I will admite I loved what Anon did to Scientology, but when it comes to hacking personal accounts, I dont agree with what they did. Maybe hypocritical. But I stand by it.

But now that the cat is out of the bag, let's see what the cat has to say.

PS: No doubt the Obama campaign i QUICKLY hacker proofing their passwords.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
I should add, I agree 100% with this statement. I would also like to add, not everyone is email and internet savvy. I know a lot of people that use private and personal emails at work. Unless this truly was to circumvent some law, and I doubt it, I think this is much to do about nothing.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
I can't help but believe that if it was Obama's personal email account that was hacked and made public, this thread would be 10 times longer and filled with indignation about 'dirty Republican tactics".

I would say the same thing and be accused of being partisan because everyone would forget this.

Obviously I am not a government official, but I try really hard to keep work and personal e-mail separate. I get annoyed when someone sends me personal e-mail at work. i try to redirect them to my personal account which is also programmed into my Outlook. So, i can see personal and business at the same time. Rarely do i get work e-mails to my personal account.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)

Finding it dispicable is the politically correct stance. Ramp it up ten fold if it was Obama. No, I don't believe I'm paranoid not do I believe my statement is unfounded. Have you been reading the over the top Obama love in this forum for months? And believe me, I toned down the question. Over the top is mild compared to what I wanted to say.

Why doesn't Alaska have secured government servers for their government business instead of yahoo or hotmail? Sheesh.

Also, why do they have a time period where it is sunny 24 hours a day? They think they are better than us? When do they sleep? Ridiculous! :wacko:

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
Why doesn't Alaska have secured government servers for their government business instead of yahoo or hotmail? Sheesh.

Quite simply, because there are laws regarding what you can do with the emails on those secure servers. If there's a few emails you don't want to have preserved, then you set up another account. It's quasi-illegal but if there's never a subpoena issued for those emails or you have the AG in your pocket so that he won't enforce the subpoena, then you've effectively hidden anything you don't want documented.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)

They do. She has an official Alaska state e-mal address. But the worry of some people is that Palin was using her personal account to go around the legal requirement that all government e-mail be kept and on publci record. This is the best way I have heard it described:

"Accounts suggest Anonymous was acting in response to reports that Palin took a page from Karl Rove and illegally used her personal e-mail account(s) to keep state business out of the public record."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Quite simply, because there are laws regarding what you can do with the emails on those secure servers. If there's a few emails you don't want to have preserved, then you set up another account. It's quasi-illegal but if there's never a subpoena issued for those emails or you have the AG in your pocket so that he won't enforce the subpoena, then you've effectively hidden anything you don't want documented.

Also if you want to use your email for campaigning, you can't use your government email to do so.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Also if you want to use your email for campaigning, you can't use your government email to do so.

You also can't use it to distribute e-mails about any political candidate if you're a supporter who doesn't work for the campaign.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Finding it dispicable is the politically correct stance.

And aren't Dems the masters of politically correct? Almost every noted Dem here denounced this, if they didn't denounce it later when it was a Dem, wouldn't it be hypocritical? Of course the GOP types will applaud the courageous acts of the person who hacked his email. Plus, he's Muslim and we have to be careful.

I actually do not believe the GOP types would do that, but it's about as equally wrong as thinking Dems would be more outraged.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Finding it dispicable is the politically correct stance. Ramp it up ten fold if it was Obama. No, I don't believe I'm paranoid not do I believe my statement is unfounded. Have you been reading the over the top Obama love in this forum for months? And believe me, I toned down the question. Over the top is mild compared to what I wanted to say.

I've definitely seen the over-the-top Obama love, as well as the over-the-top Obama hate. They are both here in spades.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)

The reason you haven't seen much of a reaction out of me is because I don't like all the arbitrary negative attention Palin is getting, and I've left it alone. It's not that I don't care, or don't think it's wrong because I don't like Palin (believe me I don't), I just don't want to contribute to the noise until/unless I find out there is something worthy of being noisy about. Also the same reason I haven't commented too much on the trooper firing ordeal.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)

Also, just because its politically correct, that doesn't mean that some people don't mean it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
I've definitely seen the over-the-top Obama love, as well as the over-the-top Obama hate. They are both here in spades.

Neither is as bad here as it is elsewhere, e.g. www.politico.com, which is relatively civil compared to a lot of other places.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)

It totally would

First it was Palin was going to step down from being VP because her daughter is pregnant. Now it's "She's going to jail cause of emails which expose the truth!".

wishful thinking on the Democrats part IMO

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
They do. She has an official Alaska state e-mal address. But the worry of some people is that Palin was using her personal account to go around the legal requirement that all government e-mail be kept and on publci record. This is the best way I have heard it described:

"Accounts suggest Anonymous was acting in response to reports that Palin took a page from Karl Rove and illegally used her personal e-mail account(s) to keep state business out of the public record."

I just read yesterday that Bill Clinton sent two emails from his official address while in office, and one was a test. No one uses their official email from the sound of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I just read yesterday that Bill Clinton sent two emails from his official address while in office, and one was a test. No one uses their official email from the sound of it.

The question is...was Bill Clinton a big user of a private email account? From what I've read, it was something of a joke how Clinton did not like to use email at all. Have you heard differently?