9/20 Sox v. Royals; 6:10PM CDT - WGN

Texsox

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
This is just unacceptable from Floyd. You see Minnesota has lost, this late in the season, and you're giving up this crap? It has to be treated as a playoff game. Offense included. We should have atleast 4 runs on the board by the 6th inning, and if Floyd has any balls this is where it ends with the runs. Kc sucks.

Wow. Floyd has manned up more than anyone this season.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
I just don't get why we threw him so many pitches on Tuesday if we planned on him pitching on 3 days rest?

Especially with power pitchers. They are completely ineffective on short rest. You can see he's relying completely on his off-speed stuff. And while his off-speed stuff is much improved, Gavin still needs his various fastballs to truly be effective. However, Gavin is definitely such a more mature pitcher now than he was last year. I still think he'll be able to give us 5 innings at 3 runs. At that point, hopefully the Sox will have tied this thing back up or taken the lead and we'll just take our chances with Richard coming in for a couple.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
This is just unacceptable from Floyd. You see Minnesota has lost, this late in the season, and you're giving up this crap? It has to be treated as a playoff game. Offense included. We should have atleast 4 runs on the board by the 6th inning, and if Floyd has any balls this is where it ends with the runs. Kc sucks.

I just don't know if Floyd is mentally ready to handle pitching on short rest. That's not a knock on him, as he's been our MVP of the staff.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
DJ was busy making an excuse about how Griffey couldn't possibly cover all that ground to back up the play.

Bulls***. Anyone that knows what they're doing in CF actually backs up their corner outfielders, as opposed to just picking dandelions out in center while letting the batter round at his will.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
I am surprised it took this long for someone to hit an Inside the Park dong with Griffey and Dye patrolling CF and RF.

Yeah... that is one of the slowest RF/CF combos in the league. It's not a coincidence that Ichiro hit one in last year's All-Star game to Griffey.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
I don't think he has the range to be anywhere near that ball... but the ball DID go back towards CF, he should've at least been somewhat close to it. He broke towards it way too late.

Wise had a better chance coming from left. Or even Anderson from the dugout.

Still, weeks later, it's real dumb having Griffey in center.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
Bulls***. Anyone that knows what they're doing in CF actually backs up their corner outfielders, as opposed to just picking dandelions out in center while letting the batter round at his will.

When they showed the view from the 3rd base dugout, Griffey didn't even move until the very end.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)

Hence why I said DJ was making an "excuse". I didn't agree his statement at all. Griffey should have been there, no questions asked.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
To think that DJ frequently says he's played GG caliber defense this season.

Dye didn't even look at the ball when he jumped up against the wall. As if he thought "oh s***, I should be hitting the wall about now" and just looked away.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
I never thought that with curveballers. Sinkerballers? Yes. But the curveball has to have bite and command. I don't think he looks terrible, by the way -- I'm just not sure I agree with you comparison.

when you throw a curveball, the key to to keep your chest back, and then pull down with that pitch. When you have too much strength a lot of times you fly open, and dont finish the pull down. The curve gets a hump back motion, and hangs. The only thing with fatigue that I will agree with you is the ability to keep on top of the pitch. If your mechanics are good, the drop in velocity will allow the curve to bite more.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 12:53 AM)
Guillen should get fired if he is managing games based on the week ahead. With the way the bullpen has been the last month, there was no way you could go to them in that close of a ballgame. At that point in time, Floyd gave them the best chance to win in that situation.

No, you should know I want him to manage one game at a time. I've been upset when we've pulled pitchers early cause of upcoming 4 man rotation plans. However, if a guy does throw a lot of pitches (I read somewhere he threw the most he's had all season), then you have to just push him back to normal rest.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
When they showed the view from the 3rd base dugout, Griffey didn't even move until the very end.

When Mackowiak was out there, there were tons of posts each day asking for the head of Ozzie for marching him out there. Funny how the defense (and offense for that matter) is worse, but there are less posts given the players name.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
Wise had a better chance coming from left. Or even Anderson from the dugout.

Still, weeks later, it's real dumb having Griffey in center.

Wise or Anderson would've both been busting their asses to that ball to make that play. That kind of mental mistake is not something I'd expect out of one of the best baseball players of all time.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
When Mackowiak was out there, there were tons of posts each day asking for the head of Ozzie for marching him out there. Funny how the defense (and offense for that matter) is worse, but there are less posts given the players name.

You know I'm with you...Anderson should be starting in CF every game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)

Griffey should be on the bench. There is no reason with a big ball park like this, we are playing Griffey in CF. Anderson is a good matchup for Davies. He throws a fastball.