Tip line or total amount?

southsider2k5

Question for those in the know... At a restraunt when you fill in the tip line and the total bill amount paid at the bottom, which is the final answer?

Take this for an example...

Bill=30.25

Tip=6.75

Amount 36.00

Now if a person enters a tip total, but the final amount doesn't add up, is the place of business allowed to charge 37.00, because that is what it should add up to, or are they obligated to 36.00 because that was the final amount listed?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Question for those in the know... At a restraunt when you fill in the tip line and the total bill amount paid at the bottom, which is the final answer?

Take this for an example...

Bill=30.25

Tip=6.75

Amount 36.00

Now if a person enters a tip total, but the final amount doesn't add up, is the place of business allowed to charge 37.00, because that is what it should add up to, or are they obligated to 36.00 because that was the final amount listed?

IIRC you get in trouble if you claim the 37.00 bucks, even if the math is bad on the customers side. If you change the total that the customer signed, its fraud

Just talked to a guy here at work that used to be in the business. TECHNICALLY the total line is what they are supposed to go by. But most waiters enter the tip amount and don't check the math. But if the TOTAL is $37.00, that's the amount they are supposed to charge.

Not totally sure, but I think an analogy to the law of commercial paper governing checks might be somewhat apt: If the amount written in words differs from the amount stated in numbers, the amount in words trumps (something has to break the tie), and the check's recipient can't legally engage in "self-help" to correct an apparent "mistake."

Similarly, I suspect that on a charge slip, its the bottom line "total" amount that the card holder legally authorizes as payment via his signature, irrespective of how that amount is broken down, arrived at, or calculated. I don't think a charge recipient has the legal authority to alter that in order to effectuate the card holder's suppossed "intent." Too subjective and problematic.

In golf the total doesn't count, you are not responsible for the math, only the correct hole by hole score.

I know that doesn't help, just thought I'd toss that out.

I called a friend who owns a restaurant and he was told by the credit card companies and somewhat confirmed by his attorney that the bottom amount is trump. But, which kind of sucks for the server, if a customer makes a math error the other way, and adds higher, they can put the charges through as signed for, but if the customer disputes the charges, they will get reversed and the correct math is used.

So it sucks to be a server in this, you lose both ways.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
In golf the total doesn't count, you are not responsible for the math, only the correct hole by hole score.

I know that doesn't help, just thought I'd toss that out.

I called a friend who owns a restaurant and he was told by the credit card companies and somewhat confirmed by his attorney that the bottom amount is trump. But, which kind of sucks for the server, if a customer makes a math error the other way, and adds higher, they can put the charges through as signed for, but if the customer disputes the charges, they will get reversed and the correct math is used.

So it sucks to be a server in this, you lose both ways.

With as much credit card fraud happening nowadays, servers need to be looking at cards and reciepts closer anyways. I worked pizza delivery in college, and corporate credit card fraud now, I have seen it from both sides.

Guess sorta along these lines...

I hate the American custom of tipping for every goddamn thing someone provides. With restaurants it seems to me most people do the customary 15-20% deal. f*** that, I tip on service....what a tip actually should be, you have outstanding service (keeping my water/drinks filled, making sure everything is to my liking, not coming over and bothering the s*** out of me every 2 minutes) then you get a good tip....if you fail my qualifications you get a tip based on how s***ty you were anywhere from 0-5%.

And waiters/waitresses please come in and defend how "hard" your job is....Please....why because sometimes it’s busy? Sometimes you have an asshole customer? Sometimes you would rather be home getting high? You write down an order, maybe do some prep work, carry some food to a table (even though half the time I get a runner), say hello and goodbye, wrap some silverware up at the end of the day...man what a hard job. God and those places that don't even tip out to the cooks are ludicrous, the people that actually do the work in a restaurant.

Why can't America follow Europe's lead when it comes to serving? What is it...if there is extremely good service you leave like 2% tip or something. Most of the time they won't even accept a tip?

I've been a waiter and a busser at different places. I can say for sure being a busser is a way harder/worse job than being a waiter. Especially b/c if a server has a bad day my tip was s***, when I was the one doing the f***ing dirty work.

Don't even get me started on tipping the girl at great clips for a 15 minute haircut that costs 20 bucks. If they give too much of it to great clips go f***ing cut hair in your basement or open your own shop.

When I was loading cars all day long with heavy bags of manure, wood chips etc I didn't get s***. So why should waiter that brings me a plate of food get money? Maybe next time I will offer him 20% of my piece of chicken.

American needs to change this whole ideal of tipping.

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)

I hate the American custom of tipping for every goddamn thing someone provides. With restaurants it seems to me most people do the customary 15-20% deal. f*** that, I tip on service....what a tip actually should be, you have outstanding service (keeping my water/drinks filled, making sure everything is to my liking, not coming over and bothering the s*** out of me every 2 minutes) then you get a good tip....if you fail my qualifications you get a tip based on how s***ty you were anywhere from 0-5%.

And waiters/waitresses please come in and defend how "hard" your job is....Please....why because sometimes it’s busy? Sometimes you have an asshole customer? Sometimes you would rather be home getting high? You write down an order, maybe do some prep work, carry some food to a table (even though half the time I get a runner), say hello and goodbye, wrap some silverware up at the end of the day...man what a hard job. God and those places that don't even tip out to the cooks are ludicrous, the people that actually do the work in a restaurant.

Why can't America follow Europe's lead when it comes to serving? What is it...if there is extremely good service you leave like 2% tip or something. Most of the time they won't even accept a tip?

I've been a waiter and a busser at different places. I can say for sure being a busser is a way harder/worse job than being a waiter. Especially b/c if a server has a bad day my tip was s***, when I was the one doing the f***ing dirty work.

Don't even get me started on tipping the girl at great clips for a 15 minute haircut that costs 20 bucks. If they give too much of it to great clips go f***ing cut hair in your basement or open your own shop.

When I was loading cars all day long with heavy bags of manure, wood chips etc I didn't get s***. So why should waiter that brings me a plate of food get money? Maybe next time I will offer him 20% of my piece of chicken.

When servers start getting paid a living wage outside of tipping, tipping would likely go away slowly.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
When servers start getting paid a living wage outside of tipping, tipping would likely go away slowly.

Yep, tipping is built into their wages and your prices. If the restaurant owners had to pay them what they make in tips now, you'd see your meal prices rise accordingly and you'd pay about the same. Except now, you have no recourse for bad service.

I do laugh at the "tip" line on some receipts at fast food places, though.

All I can say is taht I was a mover over the summer, and it paid s*** for the work I had to do, so I was extra motivated when tips were on the line. Ive heard stories of movers taking off on the bill in agreement with the customer for a higher tip.

We always shaved off 15-30 minutes off the bill (about $25-50) hoping to get a tip out of the customer, most of the time though it was just a "oh you guys are so nice, bye!"

Im sorry but you cant argue that being a mover doesnt suck, and is one of the hardest jobs out there, especially considering labor intense jobs.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
All I can say is taht I was a mover over the summer, and it paid s*** for the work I had to do, so I was extra motivated when tips were on the line. Ive heard stories of movers taking off on the bill in agreement with the customer for a higher tip.

We always shaved off 15-30 minutes off the bill (about $25-50) hoping to get a tip out of the customer, most of the time though it was just a "oh you guys are so nice, bye!"

Im sorry but you cant argue that being a mover doesnt suck, and is one of the hardest jobs out there, especially considering labor intense jobs.

I'm certain the owner of the company appreciated your efforts in that regard.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

I'm certain the owner of the company appreciated your efforts in that regard.

Hahaha, they made so much money off of us it wasnt even funny...plus they just screwed guys left and right, so really they had it coming.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)

http://www.madcowprod.com/214047h.jpg

My least favorite person to tip is the guy who flags a cab down for you at an airport or hotel, or restaurant. The funny part is, the guy is always in his late 40's and has that super serious, official look on his face, like he's handling serious business. Sometimes, if he's a true cab flagging professional, he'll have a whistle. There is usually a line of cabs about 50 feet from the door and all this MFr does is lift his hand and maybe open the cab door for you. I guess if he wasn't there I'd have no shot at getting a cab at O'Hare. I guess he's my f***in' hero, sure I'll give him 5 bucks for doing that.

GMAFB.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 03:42 AM)
I deliver pizza for Dominos

All I will say is, if you are a s***ty tipper or you just don't tip at all.. next time your order comes up or whatever your situation is, people don't forget it

As a former deliveryman myself, I completely agree.

However, I never stooped to any "damage" (ie. spit on, put things in food), I just took my sweet ass time. The pizza was still hot, but you could tell the difference between "it came out 25 minutes ago" and "the pizza came out 3 minutes ago".

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)

This is how I would rank positions in a well established restaurant :

1. Cooks ( Have to be able to understand the writing of perhaps someone who barely managed to make it through their freshman year in high school and are constantly being told to be precise on certain meals (i.e. "Make sure that this is not burned or the customer will not have it." The cooks not only have to cook what would be served to various customers, but also have to clean the environment that they work around with before thinking about heading out the door. Oh, and for those who haven't been in the kitchen, it's more like being in an oven. Cooks have to put up with the most when talking about hard labor and dirty jobs).

2. Bus-Boy (This could definitely be arguable with a dish-washer, but I'm giving it to the bus-boy because they don't get paid by the hour, it's whatever tips the waitresses give them. Okay, they do get paid by the hour, but it's embarassing when asked how much the hourly wage is. In some cases it's better if the issue is not brought up. The duties are plenty in the sense of cleaning up, making sure that everything is out and in order, and of course cleaning up the environment that is worked in. It is what it is, if the waitress is having a bad day the BB's won't have it any better).

3. Dish-Washer (All the left-over's have to go somewhere. And how about those dirty plates? They just don't throw them away and bring out new ones. There are times when a D.W. is always having to play catch-up because there are bus-boy's bringing in container's one after another. And those big soup container's can be a pain, along with all the pans, soup spoons and who know's what other kitchen material need's to be cleaned. Taking out the garbage and the working environment has to be taken care too).

4. Waitress (When walking in to a restaurant it seems like one is always greeted by the nicest waitress one can possibly have. They nicely ask to offer something to drink and any kind of appetizer. The kindness is just a disguise that is well played out to have the customer's feel like their at home. A waitress takes orders, puts it up for the cook's to see and wait till the food is ready and served. In between there's math solving to see how much has been added to the bill, calculator provided of course. Once the food is ready, it's served to the customer and now it's just a matter of timing. Having to ask frequently for anything needed and such. There could be the average customer seeking for perfectionism in every aspect of service, but it can be dealt with the supervisor).

Overall, a waitress gets paid real good money with having to do less hard-labor. If the math is done right, it could be that a waitress makes about $10 an hour in addition to the hourly wage. Yes, the life of a restaurant employee is not the easiest, but there are some that have it worse than the other. To be a successful and at least decently happy employee, there needs to be almost 100% guranteed customer satisfaction. Because it all comes down to how the customer's respond and the response 99.9% of the time is the value of their money.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 03:42 AM)
I deliver pizza for Dominos

All I will say is, if you are a s***ty tipper or you just don't tip at all.. next time your order comes up or whatever your situation is, people don't forget it

I don't tip people well for doing what their job requires or what is expected of them. I tip generously those that go above and beyond. If I tip s***ty, or not at all, it's probably because service was not ABOVE my expectations, so I'll remember it too and there won't be a next time. Tipping everyone encourages mediocre service.