McCain Suspends Campaign

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
We have better choices this year. I think we have one good choice and one not as good choice, but still much better than the GOP's recent nominees. I'm just not buying this crisis as a crisis.

CNN: Obama called McCain at 8:30 AM to talk about issuing a joint statement.

Based on the reaction to the bailout bill both in congress (from BOTH parties amazingly enough) and among the American people, I think most agree with your comment in the bold.

Obama has to suspend his campaign now as well, because if he doesn't, then McCain will just say that Obama doesn't care about the economy. Hell, in their response to the SNL incest skit, McCain's people said that it was funny, and that it was funny that Obama hadn't done anything about the financial crisis either.

Postponing the debate a couple days, so that Obama and McCain can be... ya know... SENATORS... is a good idea.

Suspending the campaign seems a little much. Like, trying to make a big thing of it for publicity. If it was really just wanting to fix things, they'd issue a joint statement, postpone the debate to Sunday evening, and then move on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Postponing the debate a couple days, so that Obama and McCain can be... ya know... SENATORS... is a good idea.

Suspending the campaign seems a little much. Like, trying to make a big thing of it for publicity. If it was really just wanting to fix things, they'd issue a joint statement, postpone the debate to Sunday evening, and then move on.

Honestly? This is a pander.

Obama calls McCain to issue a joint statement. McCain then one-ups and says "I'm SUSPENDING!" This is as big of a campaign ploy as anything we've ever seen. It's being nasty by being clean.

If you need to go to Washington, go to Washington. But that doesn't mean that you should stop your campaign. Maybe you should bring your campaign to the actual issue instead.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Based on the reaction to the bailout bill both in congress (from BOTH parties amazingly enough) and among the American people, I think most agree with your comment in the bold.

Yeah, I could see postponing the debate and suspending the campaign in the event of a crisis like an invasion or a terrorist attack (like David Palmer had to do that season on "24"), but this just seems gimmicky and odd. I mean, the economy is bad and everything, but as McCain has said, its "fundamentals are strong," so its not like its on the precipice of imminent collapse within the next 72 hours. The bailout vote might be important (even assuming it would be scheduled for 8:00 p.m. this Friday), but the process for choosing the next leader of the free world is kind of important too.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

Someone brought up a good point on another site:

Ok, this is too obvious. McCain knows the debates are going to kill his campaign, so he is trying to use this to get out of them. Once this "suspension" takes place, how long will it go on? They can just delay the bill for weeks. By that time, they will argue that there isn't enough time for 3 debates. So maybe they are hoping to get it down to 1.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Obama is currently saying No to delaying debates.

Of course. The economic collapse of the last couple of weeks is the best thing to happen to his campaign. That might seem a bit crude to say, but the poll numbers don't lie. He's on fire right now and believes the debates will only help him (and he's probably right).

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated," McCain told the Wall Street Journal in late November.

This is the guy who doesn't want to debate because he needs to fix the economy. That's rich.

Edited by Dick Allen

Reid's statement:

This is a critical time for our country. While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis.

I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy. If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership; not a campaign photo op.

If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
It's a very difficult decision for Obama. I assume the Republicans will claim that he cares more about becoming president than actually helping out the citizens of the United States.

EXACTLY why McCain is doing this. It's not about America, it's about playing politics.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
It's a very difficult decision for Obama. I assume the Republicans will claim that he cares more about becoming president than actually helping out the citizens of the United States.

What better way to help our country?