McCain Suspends Campaign

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
It's a very difficult decision for Obama. I assume the Republicans will claim that he cares more about becoming president than actually helping out the citizens of the United States.

Of course they will, just like they had to scale back their convention for the hurricane, but when Katrina hit where were they where was McCain? Oh yeah, he was on a tarmac greeting Bush with a birthday cake.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, I think this may save McCain.

The Republican's had jumped the shark with their rhetoric this campaign, they were trying to beat Obama at his own game the "change" card. It started to become ridiculous comparisons of "who is the bigger reformer", "who brings more change", and at the end of the day its just strange that they thought it was a good idea to run on that idea.

Now they can change tactics drastically and not lose any face. McCain will "stop campaigning" while the campaign changes directions. McCain will run on the fact that he just wants to do whats best for America, that he is and has always been willing to sacrifice for America.

Here are a bunch of statements if I was McCain Id use against Obama now:

"Look at what I did when I was running for President, I put aside my chances to win, so that I could solve the crises, I gave up my dream, so that the rest of America could be saved.

If I lost my chance to be elected President because I cared to much about America, I can live with that. I can live with looking into American's eyes and saying I did the right thing, as opposed to I did what was best for me.

Because thats what I believe America is about, its about selflessness, its about the good of everyone. And today I did what was best for America, because some times doing the right thing means you have to sacrifice."

Strategy wise, I think its pretty good it could backfire but I believe right now McCain felt that things hadnt been going his way recently, so desperate times call for desperate measures.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)

The Republican's had jumped the shark with their rhetoric this campaign, they were trying to beat Obama at his own game the "change" card. It started to become ridiculous comparisons of "who is the bigger reformer", "who brings more change", and at the end of the day its just strange that they thought it was a good idea to run on that idea.

Now they can change tactics drastically and not lose any face. McCain will "stop campaigning" while the campaign changes directions. McCain will run on the fact that he just wants to do whats best for America, that he is and has always been willing to sacrifice for America.

"Look at what I did when I was running for President, I put aside my chances to win, so that I could solve the crises, I gave up my dream, so that the rest of America could be saved.

If I lost my chance to be elected President because I cared to much about America, I can live with that. I can live with looking into American's eyes and saying I did the right thing, as opposed to I did what was best for me.

Because thats what I believe America is about, its about selflessness, its about the good of everyone. And today I did what was best for America, because some times doing the right thing means you have to sacrifice."

Strategy wise, I think its pretty good it could backfire but I believe right now McCain felt that things hadnt been going his way recently, so desperate times call for desperate measures.

The other side of the argument is he's supposed to be such a leader and has been in Congress and the Senate for 26 years, how did he and his cohorts let the economy get to this point?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
how so?

Cafferty calling him out - essentially calling it political posturing and asserting that this is the EXACT time we should HEAR a debate about the candidates ideas and solutions to the problem of our economy.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Between suspending the campaign like never before in history (to my knowledge at least) and picking Sarah Palin as VP, the McCain campaign is without a doubt one of the most bats*** crazy campaign's ever.

Not really... since I like football analogies, let's just say he's been running the hurry-up offense for the whole 4th quarter.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Cafferty calling him out - essentially calling it political posturing and asserting that this is the EXACT time we should HEAR a debate about the candidates ideas and solutions to the problem of our economy.

and I agree. And I know they have been prepping for Foreign Policy, but NOW is the time to debate the economy. Scrap the planning. An "unprepared" debate will truly show who is the most ready to lead.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)

I think that is specifically the idea.

And it can work extremely well.

The other side of the argument is he's supposed to be such a leader and has been in Congress and the Senate for 26 years, how did he and his cohorts let the economy get to this point?

Biden was in the senate just as long, if there is blame to be placed it is blame on the entire system. John McCain did not have the technical knowledge of what was going on in the banking and financial institutions thats why John McCain has always supported transparency and better record keeping and reporting from major lending institutions.

This is a failure of the lending system, no one person a lone could have prevented this crises. But now that it is upon us, we must all come together as Americans and solve the problem. We cant just look back and say we didnt do anything in the past, so why should we do something now.

Its time to roll up our sleeves and get down to business, some times we get lemons, but Ill be damned if Im not going down to the street corner, setting up a shop, and selling those damn lemons as lemonade.

(haha)

Anyways, I think that in the hands of proper spin professionals all of this can play really well to the Republican base and try and shore up the necessary states to win. The problem for Obama is how to stay aggressive but not come off like he could care less about the country and just is a power monger whose whole political career has basically been a race to the top. He needs to stop it from going down the road of; "What have you done" and keep it on track of "What is he going to do."

I just dont know whether or not people are going to see this as legitimate or think that McCain is afraid of the debates.

To all out suspend the campaign is so shocking and unprecedented that it almost has to be looked at as a desperate move. Then again, the Palin move was certainly something that could be perceived as desperate and it gave him a huge bounce so maybe this will work too. I think leadership would have been just going back to Washington and/or issuing a joint statement with Obama. To flat out suspend the campaign seems desperate due to how drastic, bizarre, and unprecedented it is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

So now John McCain wants to suspend his campaign and postpone Friday's debate so he can go to Washington and work on the financial crisis -- as if his vast economic expertise is what's missing in all of this.

After years of being the Senate's champion of deregulation, and an admitted economic lightweight, John McCain suddenly wants to pretend he's our knight in shining armor? But wait -- wasn't it McCain's own party and policies that created this crisis? Wasn't it his own economic advisor, Phil Gramm, who called Americans "whiners" in a "mental recession?" Didn't McCain recently praise the fundamentals of our economy and call himself a "fundamentally a deregulator?"

Come to think of it, the last thing America needs is for John McCain to go back to Washington. Because that's exactly where he and his cronies created this financial mess.

Clearly, Steve Schmidt thinks he's being clever. You can just picture the staff meeting: "We'll look like heroes! We'll put Obama in a corner, and force him into looking like he doesn't care about the crisis! We're geniuses!"

Just one problem, Steve-O...you're going after independents. And independents are smarter than you think they are. I'm guessing that most of them will see this for what it is: a stunt. A distraction from the fact that John McCain's core beliefs and record are at the very heart of this crisis.

And as for postponing the debate? Real leaders don't have the luxury of taking time outs, Senator McCain. They're supposed to be able to deal with a wide array of problems, all at once. Especially when they're President. That's why it's called "the hardest job in the world."

Lincoln ran for office during the Civil War. Reagan ran at the height of the Cold War. Bush ran with two wars raging in Afghanistan and Iraq. But McCain can't run during a crisis on Wall Street?

Kind've makes you wonder what his multitasking threshold is, and what else he'd "suspend" or "postpone" when the going got tough.

Maybe he'd just hand it all over to Sarah Palin.

LINK

Obama also loses probably more than a little if he suspends his campaign just because McCain says so, I would think. This crisis has been going on for a while and McCain had not suspended his campaign. Why now? Why not several weeks ago? Why did he wait until Palin's numbers started dropping like the Dow?

To all out suspend the campaign is so shocking and unprecedented that it almost has to be looked at as a desperate move. Then again, the Palin move was certainly something that could be perceived as desperate and it gave him a huge bounce so maybe this will work too. I think leadership would have been just going back to Washington and/or issuing a joint statement with Obama. To flat out suspend the campaign seems desperate due to how drastic, bizarre, and unprecedented it is.

A bounce doesn't help McCain, he needs a change in the election dynamic. And between "I still need to be educated" and "the fundamentals are strong" he's not going to get that focusing on the economy.

He needs to hope for a terrorist attack, its the only way he can win.