Cabrera Rips Teammates

DaTank

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep25.article

MINNEAPOLIS -- Give Orlando Cabrera credit: Between hands of Texas Hold 'Em, playing dominoes and mastering the art of the five-minute change, shower and dash after games, the White Sox shortstop has found time to set the stage for his exit from the South Side.

An exit in which he undoubtedly will point the finger at the organization months from now, insisting, ''They were the problem, not me.''

The process already started with Cabrera's appearance Tuesday on ''Boers & Bernstein'' on WSCR-AM (670). Asked how the 2008 Sox compare with some of the other teams Cabrera has played on, he replied: ''The one thing we're missing, a team that wins so many ballgames is missing, is we don't come out every night as the winners. We come out hoping to win a ballgame. I don't think that's the right attitude.

''This is a team that has so many stars and so many good players. The other team should be afraid of facing us. We should show that face every night and win ballgames before they even start at 7 o'clock.''

It's a good message, but the wrong guy was delivering it.

Funny, until manager Ozzie Guillen called him out in May, 7 o'clock was about the time Cabrera was arriving to the park. Maybe he was figuring out what scary face to put on that night in order to psych out the opponent.

Then there was this little gem on the clubhouse antics: ''There are guys that want to be clowns or want to be funny or want to be this, but what I don't like is there's a time for that and a time to get serious in a ballgame, and I don't see that. ... You can have fun, but at the same time, you have to take care of business.''

That apparently includes calling up to the press box to have your errors overturned onto your teammates -- whom, coincidentally, you have taken no time to know.

Cabrera isn't stupid. He knows big money awaits him in free agency -- maybe even with the Twins -- so he's throwing up his hands in the final week of the regular season, all but saying, ''Even I can't help these guys win. They don't want it like me.''

Quick reminder to Mr. Cabrera: You have a whopping .259 average in 27 postseason games, and the one team you did win a ring with, the 2004 Boston Red Sox, rented you for three months before letting you walk into free agency without flinching.

But give him credit: He knows how to make an exit.

I don't understand two things what OC does here. He says: "There are guys that want to be clowns...". He contributes to all of that. What do you call all of his crazy handshakes during the games? Don't get me wrong, I think they're hilarious, but he shouldn't be talking about joking around during games when he participates in it.

I also don't understand why he decides to make these comments now. Does he think this will help them in their game tonight? Does he think it will help them if they actually make the playoffs?

What do you all think about this?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not a big Cabrera fan, I can't argue with his performance lately, especially his approach against the Twins. Regarding his quotes, what is it that he said that was so bad? It sounds like a guy who is complimenting his teammates but also pointing out some shortcomings that they should be able to overcome if they wake up and start approaching each game right. Jerk or not, on the surface watching this team, it sounds like there is some merit to his comments.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep25.article

I don't understand two things what OC does here. He says: "There are guys that want to be clowns...". He contributes to all of that. What do you call all of his crazy handshakes during the games? Don't get me wrong, I think they're hilarious, but he shouldn't be talking about joking around during games when he participates in it.

I also don't understand why he decides to make these comments now. Does he think this will help them in their game tonight? Does he think it will help them if they actually make the playoffs?

What do you all think about this?

He said there's a time and a place for it... can't argue with that. It is one thing to act a fool and show up at game time, and another to act a fool and play like crap. I agree with him 100%.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
I actually have respect for him for delivering this message. Everyone else has been too busy acting scared of Minnesota. Besides Ozzie, he is the only guy I have heard call out this team to step up and win some games. Good for OC.

I do too. I've also noticed he's doing the most cheerleading out there.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
He wasn't even "ripping" his teammates, he just was being honest. I agree, someone needed to voice that.

I never said that I disagree with what he said. However, I think now was a not a good time to do so. I feel that it would be Ozzie's job to say what needs to be said, not OC's.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
I never said that I disagree with what he said. However, I think now was a not a good time to do so. I feel that it would be Ozzie's job to say what needs to be said, not OC's.

How do you figure? When IS a good time? Why would you respect Ozzie? Because he's proven to be so consistent and rational? Why shouldn't a guy say what he feels?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
He's been subtly doing this all season and it's funny that he takes flack for it, because he's dead right.

I know I'm one of two here who want him back next season.

Guy shows up to play, the captain, Paul Konerko, is a joke, get that bum outta here. I know OC isn't coming back, but I think we need more guys that are winners. Sox are a team of mental midgets. I want changes.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Guy shows up to play, the captain, Paul Konerko, is a joke, get that bum outta here. I know OC isn't coming back, but I think we need more guys that are winners. Sox are a team of mental midgets. I want changes.

Wait, you're calling a guy who helped lead the Sox to a World Series a bum and Orlando Cabrera a winner? The Angels surely didn't miss Cabrera and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire for the Sox.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Cabrera will be gone in three days. Who cares what he says? Good riddance.

So you think he is wrong, and the losers on this team that have spent the last month choking in fear are right? Good riddance indeed, moves like letting him go are why we consistently fail in September (and October I guess you can throw in there, even though we haven't been there and failed in 8 years), outside of 2005. It amazes me more and more by the day that 2005 happened, because every other team of ours finds a way to blow it. Always.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Wait, you're calling a guy who helped lead the Sox to a World Series a bum and Orlando Cabrera a winner? The Angels surely didn't miss Cabrera and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire for the Sox.

Except he's hitting .303 since the all star break, and more specifically, .353 with a .409 on base in September.

QUOTE (sox1844 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
How do you figure? When IS a good time? Why would you respect Ozzie? Because he's proven to be so consistent and rational? Why shouldn't a guy say what he feels?

I wouldn't want to be put down on my bad play with three (possibly four games) to play. Would you? It's only added pressure on the players. A good time would be anytime besides now. Like I said, the players don't need added pressure, especially now. Why would I respect Ozzie Guillen? You don't? He's the manager of this team and has done a pretty good job in that position in my opinion. I really don't care if he's "consistent and rational". He's not there to baby the players. OC should just learn how to shut his mouth. He causes too much drama.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)

This is absurd. Compared to 05, what would you call "on fire"...??????? This is NOT an issue. The White Sox acquired him as a rental, and he's done his job. Why make more of it than it is??