Arizona Fall League

Cali

No Beck today either. Was more than a little disappointed. He better be playing tomorrow!!! Chances are good I'll get to see Poreda throw too...and Armstrong (who wasn't in the lineup today). Supposed to be crappy weather tomorrow (real windy)...but hopefully I'll get to see Beckham. If it's blowin' too hard I may not go. btw...Brett Wallace looked terrible today. 3 Ks in 4 ABs......

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 08:54 PM)
Beckham is leading off and playing 2B tonight.

Made an error, got picked off by the catcher.

1-4, double, HBP

Glad to see him playin' 2B tonight. Got some good pics that I'll try and post tomorrow. Double was in his last AB. He looked pretty overanxious this first few ABs and K'd twice (HBP his second time up). Hit the ball hard to SS his 4th AB. Made an absolute INCREDIBLE play behind the bag at second and threw the guy out at 1st. Doubled down the RF line his last time up.

And an fyi for anybody who has aspirations of Cole Armstong backing up AJ next year...he's NOWHERE NEAR ready. Looks terrible at the plate. A couple of PBs that shouldn't have happened. Dropped a foul ball pop up. He really was very unimpressive.

Poreda pitched one inning. His command was a little off it seemed. Throws fairly hard and had one K to get out of the inning. Don't understand why he only pitched one inning.

Got my autographed ball from Beckham. I told him he better be up with the bigs within the next to years...he looked at me with a pretty serious tone and said: "sooner......" Glad to hear the tone...but I honestly don't think he's anywhere near ready yet. He'll definitely be playing 2B IMO.... Like I said...I'll try and get my pics posted soon.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:07 AM)
I'm gonna be in Lake Havasu City for 10 days in November. Would that be near anywhere where they play AFL games?

Thats where my ex lives and I don't think it's near anything, it's a tree-less barren wasteland . :P But it is filled with drunken trailer trash during spring break.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 12, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
Hope this works for everybody. I was trying to post them in the thread individually...but it wouldn't let me.

Basically just a few shots of Beckham, Poreda and Armstrong...

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php

Got your email Wanne.

Pictures uploaded and inserted below.

Great job!!

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Peoria v. Surprise

Slayer not in the lineup.

Derek Rodriguez gets the win pitching a scoreless inning, Cole Armstrong goes 1-4 with a r and rbi. He's playing a lot compared to Beckham who's only played a couple times so far.

I read in another thread that Beckham is getting less playing time because he was a late add to the roster.

Teams that committed players earlier got priority for starting positions.

The Sox couldn't commit him until he signed... and since he signed late...

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
Kinda sucks Beckham is only playing once every three games or so. Maybe he'll get an AB tonight. I hope they start him at AA next year.

It does suck. Was pretty disappointed...again. Wonder why Poreda isn't getting many innings either. Just got back from the game. Saguaros lost 8-6. Good and bad. Cole looked much better at the plate. Hit the ball hard every time up and hit an absolute MONSTEROUS dinger his 1st AB. Probably one of the longest HRs I've seen at one of these parks out here. Cleared the grass and landed out on the concourse past RF. Left some runners stranded in scoring position his last few ABs...but still hit the ball hard. Sox prospect Carlos Torres got lit up. But Cole's dinger was the definite highlight.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
Beckham was 1-3 with a double, walk, and 2 runs today. Also made his 3rd error in 4 games.

His team lost 18-10, and they committed 6 errors.

Carlos Torres and Derek Rodriguez both pitched and managed not to give up any runs.

Cole Armstrong was 4-5.

Armstrong also gave up 3 SBs. Not sure how much was him or the pitcher, but still doesn't look good. It's a shame Armstrong looks pretty solid, but his since he is lefty and not too good defensively, he really can't be AJs backup, IMO at least. Maybe someone will trade for him or something, but I am not sure how much value a 25-year-old catcher has that really doesn't have a great minor league track record nor is he good defensively. Also, we are just going to have to take Beckham's numbers will a grain of salt since his play is so spread out. It's damn near impossible to get in any rhythm starting once every three days. He's really needs to improve defensively though, but maybe the errors are a result of him being shifted all over the infield in the AFL.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Armstrong also gave up 3 SBs. Not sure how much was him or the pitcher, but still doesn't look good. It's a shame Armstrong looks pretty solid, but his since he is lefty and not too good defensively, he really can't be AJs backup, IMO at least. Maybe someone will trade for him or something, but I am not sure how much value a 25-year-old catcher has that really doesn't have a great minor league track record nor is he good defensively. Also, we are just going to have to take Beckham's numbers will a grain of salt since his play is so spread out. It's damn near impossible to get in any rhythm starting once every three days. He's really needs to improve defensively though, but maybe the errors are a result of him being shifted all over the infield in the AFL.

one game is a pretty small sample size. I've seen stats put up on this site showing that Cole's throw-out % was almost as high as Lucy's. I don't think he's a bad defender.

But, he is a lefty, and his splits show he is definitely weaker against LHP. So, not a good backup for AJ.

Hopefully he continues to tear it up in AZ though, and we can get something for him in trade. I'm betting he has some value elsewhere.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Armstrong also gave up 3 SBs. Not sure how much was him or the pitcher, but still doesn't look good. It's a shame Armstrong looks pretty solid, but his since he is lefty and not too good defensively, he really can't be AJs backup, IMO at least. Maybe someone will trade for him or something, but I am not sure how much value a 25-year-old catcher has that really doesn't have a great minor league track record nor is he good defensively.

Why is Armstrong 'not so good' defensively?

Because of one game?

Here are his fielding stats by year in the minors.

BTW, Birmingham lead the Southern League in throwing out baserunners this year... in large part due to Armstrong.

Edited by scenario