Arizona Fall League

Cali

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
one game is a pretty small sample size. I've seen stats put up on this site showing that Cole's throw-out % was almost as high as Lucy's. I don't think he's a bad defender.

But, he is a lefty, and his splits show he is definitely weaker against LHP. So, not a good backup for AJ.

Hopefully he continues to tear it up in AZ though, and we can get something for him in trade. I'm betting he has some value elsewhere.

IIRC his splits were pretty terrible against lefties, BUT, AJ hits lefties and righties just about the same, so I don't think he'd be all that bad of a backup. He could still spell AJ every 6 or 7 days although a right handed player would be ideal.

Edited by bighurt4life

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
IIRC his splits were pretty terrible against lefties, BUT, AJ hits lefties and righties just about the same, so I don't think he'd be all that bad of a backup. He could still spell AJ every 6 or 7 days although a right handed player would be ideal.

This year AJ was actually better against lefties (.286, .771 OPS vs. L against .279, .717 OPS vs. R), which I didn't realize. That is very interesting. But every other year, he has been better against righties. I also thought I read that Armstrong was not strong defensively, obviously I could be wrong.

Edited by maggsmaggs

As for Cole...the 3 games I've seen him catch so far he really left a lot to be desired defensively IMO. He had a number of PBs, dropped a pretty easy popup and his arm didn't appear to be all that strong. Granted...baserunners were gettin' huge jumps. But he's been hittin' the crap outta the ball lately. That dinger he hit in Surprise the other night was a MONSTER shot...Thomesque.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
As for Cole...the 3 games I've seen him catch so far he really left a lot to be desired defensively IMO. He had a number of PBs, dropped a pretty easy popup and his arm didn't appear to be all that strong. Granted...baserunners were gettin' huge jumps. But he's been hittin' the crap outta the ball lately. That dinger he hit in Surprise the other night was a MONSTER shot...Thomesque.

Regardless of what happens with him defensively, if he keeps hitting, especially bombs as a lefty, he has some value. Whether a team wants to make him a 1b, leave him at catcher or whatever, if he keeps hitting, he should be at worst a bench player. Let's just hope he is a late developer and his hitting ability is legit.

Two Sox pitchers got lit up like Christmas trees on Tuesday.

- Harrell went 1 2/3 and gave up 6 runs.

- Rodriguez went 1 1/3 and gave up 5 runs.

On the other hand, Poreda pitched one hitless inning and struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
Two Sox pitchers got lit up like Christmas trees on Tuesday.

- Harrell went 1 2/3 and gave up 6 runs.

- Rodriguez went 1 1/3 and gave up 5 runs.

On the other hand, Poreda pitched one hitless inning and struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced.

I still like Harrell a lot, but Poreda is really pitching himself into consideration for a rotation spot this year. I mean he hasn't given up a run in the AFL, striking out more than a hitter per inning. The walks aren't bad, though he has given up some hits, they could very well be broken bats or seeing eye singles. But still his WHIP is pretty good. I really think it's going to be JD, Floyd, MB, Vaz and then the winner of Richard/Poreda.

I went to the game today. (Saturday the 25th).

Absolutely beautiful weather. A whopping 234 fans in attendance. LOL.

The Sags won 15-4.

The only Sox player who got into the game was Armstrong. I thought he played pretty well. Had a 2-run single, a solo homerun (which was a towering shot), walked twice, and picked a runner off 1B with a nice quick throw from behind the plate.

Got some pictures. I'll post them later after I filter out the good from the bad. I saw Poreda, Beckham, and Rodriguez. Tried to get picks of them on the bench. Will have to see how they turned out.

Also, an interesting note, the Sags roster showed that Jordan Danks was recently added to the team. And Stefan Gartrell is no longer on the roster. Gartrell had been playing respectably. Not sure what happened.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
I went to the game today. (Saturday the 25th).

Also, an interesting note, the Sags roster showed that Jordan Danks was recently added to the team. And Stefan Gartrell is no longer on the roster. Gartrell had been playing respectably. Not sure what happened.

Excellent, Beckham will have some compnay on the bench while he waits for his one day to play. On the plus, i have this insane idea that Beckham and Danks 2 are going to develop in the minors together at a farily even rate so i'd like to see them maintain some sort of rapport.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...name=grey_jason

• White Sox outfielder Stefan Gartrell suffered a third-degree shoulder separation when he hit the ground diving for a fly ball, and though it is expected that his AFL season is over, he has not been ruled out to return sometime in November.

QUOTE (logic101 @ Oct 26, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)

• White Sox outfielder Stefan Gartrell suffered a third-degree shoulder separation when he hit the ground diving for a fly ball, and though it is expected that his AFL season is over, he has not been ruled out to return sometime in November.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that guy's blog.

Here's another quote from his entry the day of the injury (Wednesday).

"White Sox outfielder Stefan Gartrell could not leave under his own power, as he was carted off the field after a phenomenal diving effort on a deep fly ball."

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (logic101 @ Oct 26, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)

I hope (and assume) it's his non-throwing shoulder. This is a serious injury and will definitely effect his throwing if it is his throwing shoulder. Just raising his arm above his head will be uncomfortable from now on.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
I still like Harrell a lot, but Poreda is really pitching himself into consideration for a rotation spot this year. I mean he hasn't given up a run in the AFL, striking out more than a hitter per inning. The walks aren't bad, though he has given up some hits, they could very well be broken bats or seeing eye singles. But still his WHIP is pretty good. I really think it's going to be JD, Floyd, MB, Vaz and then the winner of Richard/Poreda.

Richard is a pen arm IMO, he just doesnt have the ability to continue to get hitters out as the game goes on, nor after they've faced him a few times. He is going to be a more effective Boone Logan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Richard is a pen arm IMO, he just doesnt have the ability to continue to get hitters out as the game goes on, nor after they've faced him a few times.

And that doesn't sound like an awful lot of rookie pitchers to you? John Danks last year for example had that problem and he still had it this year to a lesser extent. I'm not saying Richard will end up a starter but to have confined him to a bullpen role based on what we've seen in 8 starts of his rookie year is absurd.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
And that doesn't sound like an awful lot of rookie pitchers to you? John Danks last year for example had that problem and he still had it this year to a lesser extent. I'm not saying Richard will end up a starter but to have confined him to a bullpen role based on what we've seen in 8 starts of his rookie year is absurd.

I'd argue that Danks has better stuff than Richard though.

I think Richard makes for a perfect swingman in 2008. Start him in the pen, and let him be the 1st option to replace somebody in case of bad form / injury.

You can never have enough pitching.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)

It sounds nothing like Danks. Danks came up with a good fastball and changeup and his curveball hasn't fallen far off even though he doesn't even feature it a ton anymore. He's learned a cutter and become a stud pitcher. Richard's cutter won't do as much for him and I think he has the stuff to be a pretty dynamite reliever but pretty mediocre starter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
It sounds nothing like Danks. Danks came up with a good fastball and changeup and his curveball hasn't fallen far off even though he doesn't even feature it a ton anymore. He's learned a cutter and become a stud pitcher. Richard's cutter won't do as much for him and I think he has the stuff to be a pretty dynamite reliever but pretty mediocre starter.

Which one is more valuable? Which one do we need now? I would go with starter right now based off your assumptions, just because it would be cheaper to go with Richard then any free agent (duh) and I dont really like any FA more than Richard except maybe a Colon or Garcia, even then Im worried about health there. I feel like a bullpen piece could be found for cheaper (whether inhouse or FA) and be effective enough to not hurt us.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
Which one is more valuable? Which one do we need now? I would go with starter right now based off your assumptions, just because it would be cheaper to go with Richard then any free agent (duh) and I dont really like any FA more than Richard except maybe a Colon or Garcia, even then Im worried about health there. I feel like a bullpen piece could be found for cheaper (whether inhouse or FA) and be effective enough to not hurt us.

The Sox had 1 good lefty reliever last year. I don't consider Boone Logan as an option, I see the depth of the bullpen as a problem, and I see the depth of the rotation as much more fixable, due to Richard, Egbert, possibly Broadway, and any other AAAA starters the Sox bring in on MLC's.

Richard, to me, right now, seeing what he featured this past season, is more valuable in the bullpen than the rotation.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)

I dont understand how you figure we are better off with a poor starter over a dominant reliever. Our bullpen is in need of a 2nd lefty in the first place and Richard would not only fit that bill but possibly be pretty dominant in it. As a start your looking at a guy in the era range of 5 that is probably not going to go long into games and tax our bullpen.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)

Not really. Danks has always had a plus curve and has a better arm slot to face both righties and lefties. Richard's arm slot, sink and delivery is absolutely perfect in a relief role. Alot of his success is based on his deception, his sink, and his ability to change speeds on his fastball. He is a great arm to send out there for maybe one time through the lineup. This is where he is probably most valuable to the Sox.

And if you are looking at comparing him to a player coming up, I would say Neal Cotts. Cotts was a starter being brought up and even started the futures game in chicago. He also lacked a dominant secondary pitch, and since then has been a successful (for the most part) pen arm.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:32 AM)
I dont understand how you figure we are better off with a poor starter over a dominant reliever. Our bullpen is in need of a 2nd lefty in the first place and Richard would not only fit that bill but possibly be pretty dominant in it. As a start your looking at a guy in the era range of 5 that is probably not going to go long into games and tax our bullpen.

I didnt, I said based off of wite's comment of "mediocre starter or dominant reliever" that i would take the mediocre starter, but thats me. To me, mediocre means average, so that would be 4.5-5 ERA with about a .500 W/L column, I would take that out of our 5th starter position and would feel much better going out and getting guys who can take the long relief role that Richard will most likely have.

Now, in real life and not theory, I put Richard in the bullpen because right now I think he wouldnt be a good starter (he could improve before the season and I may change my mind) but he didnt seem effective enough yet, but enough so from the bullpen to have a spot there.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Wow...Jordan Danks already 2-2 on the day with a dinger. As excited as I am about Beckham...I'm really hoping this kid develops into our CF of the future.

4-4 now. 2 runs. 3 rbi's. It would be a refreshing change to actually develop some of our own draft picks.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
4-4 now. 2 runs. 3 rbi's. It would be a refreshing change to actually develop some of our own draft picks.

Damn!!! Also with a stolen base and also cut down a man at 3B. Have a day!

ps. Sorry scenario...probably means you won't see either one of them (Danks/Beckham) tomorrow. Probably Poreda though. Take yer sunscreen...it's still friggin hot as hell out. Still tryin' to wiggle my way out of work tomorrow to get out there....we'll see.

Edited by Wanne