Tribe @ Sox, 09/27, 6:05PM, CSN

LittleHurt05

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
The White Sox have to get more speed next year, and will need a lead off guy. They need to keep power. You need power at USCF.

It seems like we've been talking about adding a lead off guy every year. Other than Pods in 05, we've never had a lead off guy. My guess we won't end up with anybody good at that position.

I don't think Williams has much flexibility in improving this team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
The White Sox have to get more speed next year, and will need a lead off guy. They need to keep power. You need power at USCF.

I think that's the attitude that's gotten them into trouble. It's not a big park, so why not get guys who have a line drive approach? With the small park, a lot of those line drives will go out anyway. But more importantly, the team is less likely to slump and will be better on the road.

A good example of building wisely with that kind of park is the Phillies. Yes, they have Burrell and Howard, but the rest of their lineup is filled with guys like Victorino, Rollins and Utley, all line-drive hitters. And they hit plenty of home runs.

The Sox are not alone in falling prey to the idea that a small park means you need power. But I have never understood why teams in smaller parks feel like they have to get big thumpers up and down their lineup -- home runs will come in these places WITHOUT going for power guys.