Alexei Ramirez

ObamaKnowsBest

Alexi to me is hands down ROY. Batting average with RISP is a huge stat, and he's up there as you have all pointed out. Longoria may be a better play but Alexei is more clutch and has had a hand in more voctories for the Sox than Longoria has for the Rays.

Good to see my boy produce big time. He is under pay as far as I a concerned. Hopefully, cuban players will get more opportunities coming straight from their cuban league such as garanteed contracts and MLB roster spots. No japanese players have hit more HR in their rookie season than Alexei's 21 HR.

My comments in red.

Alexei said:

Before the at-bat, while Tigers reliever Gary Glover warmed up on the mound at U.S. Cellular Field, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen called Ramirez over to the dugout. He told the Cuban-born rookie to be patient and relax. Try not to do too much, the skipper said.

"I'm going to do what I've always done," Ramirez told his manager. "Have confidence in me. I'm going to go out there and get those runners home somehow."

And he did. Swinging at the first pitch from Glover may not have been the patient approach, but it was certainly the right one.

This is about confidence in your abilities and know you can deliver big time. You have to listen to your manager but the bottom line is you are the one that has to go out there and hit. If you think the pitcher is going to throw a cookie to get ahead of you, swing that first pitch and do not let him get the first strike easy.

"I think people in Cuba that have access to TV or radio and were able to watch this are very happy," Ramirez said through translator Lou Hernandez. "They know that I'm always going to give them everything I have. I've always given them everything I have. I left it all on the field in Cuba. I think they're really happy."

Ramirez said his Cuban team was routinely in the playoffs, and having played in the Olympics and other international games, he understood the situation he found himself in on Monday.

Handling pressure hasn't been a problem for Ramirez all season. Twelve of his 21 homers have come in the seventh inning or later. When he comes to the plate in those situations, he simply treats it like he would any other at-bat.

"I'm thinking about that at-bat," Ramirez said of his approach at the plate. "I'm thinking about that pitcher, and forgetting about all the other at-bats that I've had in prior games and even this game.

"I'm never looking for any [specific] pitch. I have my zone. If the ball crosses my zone, then I'm going to hit it. If it's there, if it's in the middle, it's going to get hit."

Alexei is not lying here. His team was often in the playoffs. His team, the Pinar del Rio Green Sox, is among the fourth most storied teams in Cuba.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
My comments in red.

Alexei said:

Before the at-bat, while Tigers reliever Gary Glover warmed up on the mound at U.S. Cellular Field, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen called Ramirez over to the dugout. He told the Cuban-born rookie to be patient and relax. Try not to do too much, the skipper said.

"I'm going to do what I've always done," Ramirez told his manager. "Have confidence in me. I'm going to go out there and get those runners home somehow."

And he did. Swinging at the first pitch from Glover may not have been the patient approach, but it was certainly the right one.

This is about confidence in your abilities and know you can deliver big time. You have to listen to your manager but the bottom line is you are the one that has to go out there and hit. If you think the pitcher is going to throw a cookie to get ahead of you, swing that first pitch and do not let him get the first strike easy.

"I think people in Cuba that have access to TV or radio and were able to watch this are very happy," Ramirez said through translator Lou Hernandez. "They know that I'm always going to give them everything I have. I've always given them everything I have. I left it all on the field in Cuba. I think they're really happy."

Ramirez said his Cuban team was routinely in the playoffs, and having played in the Olympics and other international games, he understood the situation he found himself in on Monday.

Handling pressure hasn't been a problem for Ramirez all season. Twelve of his 21 homers have come in the seventh inning or later. When he comes to the plate in those situations, he simply treats it like he would any other at-bat.

"I'm thinking about that at-bat," Ramirez said of his approach at the plate. "I'm thinking about that pitcher, and forgetting about all the other at-bats that I've had in prior games and even this game.

"I'm never looking for any [specific] pitch. I have my zone. If the ball crosses my zone, then I'm going to hit it. If it's there, if it's in the middle, it's going to get hit."

Alexei is not lying here. His team was often in the playoffs. His team, the Pinar del Rio Green Sox, is among the fourth most storied teams in Cuba.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Just out of curiosity, what kind of player is Alexei in the playoffs?

Kyyle23,

I do not have his entire career numbers in the playoffs right now. If I get them, I post them. I got a cuban guide, a book published after every season ends, for the year 2006-07 (Cuban Season 46th).

His team missed the playoff in Cuban Series 47th. They finished second last season.

This are his playoffs numbers for SN 46th.

His was eliminated in the first round.

G AB H  Ave 2B 3B HR SLU RBI W Inten Walk SO
5 26 11 478 2  1  3  1043 6  3       3     2

Edited by Cubano