The 25 man roster

NorthSideSox72

So, if you are Ozzie/KW, who do you put on your 25 man roster?

Also, if anyone sees the actual 25 man posted, feel free to post it in this thread.

My 25 man...

AJP

PK

Lexi

O-Cab

Uribe

Dye

Junior

Swish

Thome

Wise*

Anderson

Bourgeois

Hall

Buehrle

Vaz

Danks

Floyd

Jenks

Thornton

Dotel

Linebrink

H Ramirez

Carrasco

MacDougal

Richard

* = if CQ is healthy, he replaces Wise

I could see keeping Russell or Wassermann over Ramirez or Richard, since you've got 2 other lefties in there, that's a tough call.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
cool. then no CQ for the ALDS, but he's in there for the ALCS.

I'd put Russell over Ramirez actually...

Russell has faced 1 batter since September 9th. I don't think he's in the plan, but, I could be wrong. More likely Wassermann in that case.

Also, its possible they keep CQ in addition to that bench I mentioned earlier, and drop one from the pen, going with 7.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
Russell has faced 1 batter since September 9th. I don't think he's in the plan, but, I could be wrong. More likely Wassermann in that case.

Also, its possible they keep CQ in addition to that bench I mentioned earlier, and drop one from the pen, going with 7.

yeah that's true. but i just don't trust Ramirez and when has Wassermann been any good at all?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
yeah that's true. but i just don't trust Ramirez and when has Wassermann been any good at all?

Ramirez hasn't been bad, but not great either.

Wassermann was very good in 2007, lousy in early 2008, and improved to mediocre in late 2008.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
With Getz and Crede injured, I'm pretty sure Bourgeois is the only backup the Sox have for 2B, SS and 3B. Not much choice there, as far as I know.

Fields can play 3B.

With Uribe and Alexei able to play 2B/SS/3B it doesnt mean they have to take Bourgeois.

I think the question is do we want Fields' threat of a HR or Bourgeois' small-ball/speed abilities.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
Fields can play 3B.

With Uribe and Alexei able to play 2B/SS/3B it doesnt mean they have to take Bourgeois.

I think the question is do we want Fields' threat of a HR or Bourgeois' small-ball/speed abilities.

Ah, I forgot about Josh. I still think you go with JB though, for his speed and flexibility on defense. but I could go either way.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
Fields can play 3B.

Yea, but you really can't get creative with that. If we don't take Bourgeois, we have no backup utility INF. I don't think Ozzie wants Fields starting and I really can't blame him.

With the 4-some of Griffey, Swish, Thome and PK as options to play CF-DH-1B, we will have a power bat on the bench (if Wise is in left or CQ back in there). If CQ out and Swish and Griffey in LF/CF, then we have power bats through-out the line-up capable of hitting a homer. The only one that is unlikely to hit a homer in that situation is Cabrera but you wouldn't pinch hit for him in a tight game any way. I don't think Josh makes the roster as a "power bat off the bench."

AJP

Kong

Alexei

Cabrera

Uribe

Dye

Griffey

Swish

Thome

Hall

Wise

Anderson

Bourgeiois

Javy

MB

Floyd

Danks

Jenks

Thornton

Linebrink

Dotel

Carrasco

Richard

Ramirez

MacDougal

I think we carry 3 lefties in the pen against the Rays given the number of left-handed hitters in their line-up. We could use Ramirez to face Carlos Pena who's below the Mendoza against LHP.

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (heirdog @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
I think we carry 3 lefties in the pen against the Rays given the number of left-handed hitters in their line-up. We could use Ramirez to face Carlos Pena who's below the Mendoza against LHP.

Thing with Ramirez is if we bring him I dont to see him face anyone except Carlos Pena. So its like bringing his arm for just one hitter. I just wouldnt trust him against anyone else.

i think there are 22 locks

AJ, Hall, Konerko, Swisher, Alexei, OC, Uribe, Wise, Griffey, Anderson, Dye

Javy, Mark, Gavin, Danks

Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carassco, Richard (versatility makes him a lock, esp. with the lefties in tampa)

Clearly we need 1 more IFer....getz is hurt so he's out, Bourgeois doesn't really play third, Fields is hurt too but as far as I know he can still play, so i think he makes the roster

In the pen I think Ramirez probably makes it as well as much as I hate the guy and don't want to see him out there, that leaves macdougal vs. Russel vs. Owens for the final spot.....frankly if we even have to use macdougal or russel, we probably aren't going to win anyways, so part of me wants to see owens because he actually has value in a close game as a PR

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
Thing with Ramirez is if we bring him I dont to see him face anyone except Carlos Pena. So its like bringing his arm for just one hitter. I just wouldnt trust him against anyone else.

and for whatever reason you trust him against Pena. I don't care what that average is against lefties, I don't trust Ramirez against Pena.

And for whatever reason, people think Horacio is good against lefties because he throws from the left side. LHB have hit .350 against him and he has a 1.98 WHIP against them. His ERA with the Sox is 7.62 and his WHIP is 2.46. If he's on the roster, it's a damn shame. I'd rather have Boone Logan on the playoff roster.

The starters get the lineup for the first 6. Then use Richard to get Pena (and whatever other lefties). Then use Thornton. If one of them has to face a righty to get to 2 lefties, so be it.

I'm really not that scared of this Tampa lineup, other than really Longoria and Pena. The Sox lineup is vastly superior. It's the pitching that should be of concern, but all the starters are beatable (though Shields and Kazmir are obviously ridiculously tough).

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
i think there are 22 locks

AJ, Hall, Konerko, Swisher, Alexei, OC, Uribe, Wise, Griffey, Anderson, Dye

Javy, Mark, Gavin, Danks

Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carassco, Richard (versatility makes him a lock, esp. with the lefties in tampa)

Clearly we need 1 more IFer....getz is hurt so he's out, Bourgeois doesn't really play third, Fields is hurt too but as far as I know he can still play, so i think he makes the roster

In the pen I think Ramirez probably makes it as well as much as I hate the guy and don't want to see him out there, that leaves macdougal vs. Russel vs. Owens for the final spot.....frankly if we even have to use macdougal or russel, we probably aren't going to win anyways, so part of me wants to see owens because he actually has value in a close game as a PR

I don't think Wise and Anderson are locks - in fact, I'd bet only one of them makes it.

Russell has basically not pitched, so I don't see him being likely. MacD, or even Wass, would get it over Russell.

You say Fields over Bourgeois because Boourgoeis doesn't play third, but using that logic, Fields doesn't play 2B or SS. JB allows more flexibility. Juan can move over to either, so if flexibility isn't important, then its not a matter of who plays 3rd (where O-Cab or Ramirez can play, BTW) - its which bat, defense and speed you'd rather have around.

Wise and Anderson are locks, well at least Anderson is a lock.

Every game the Sox are leading past the 7th well see Anderson fielding (unless Griff is hitting in the 8th then might see it him as a pinch runner).

The fact that Ozzie keeps starting Wise suggests he will at least be on the team, he may very well be starting the first game.

Edited by Soxbadger

Players must be on a team's 25-man roster as of August 31 to be eligible for post-season play. The only exception is that a player on the 60-day disabled list may be replaced by another player from the team's 40-man roster (as of August 31) who plays the same position.

Thats from wiki so take it for what its worth.