If BA was in center in the 5th inning . . .

Texsox

No doubt they would have... they were taking the risk that the Sox couldnt prevent it and we did, and I'm sure their 3rd base coach knows that Griffey is the active leader in assists. Not that he has the arm that he used to...maybe the tag up to third and Griffey's relay and throw earlier in the inning had something to do with taking the risk.

I'd say yes. That was there first scoring chance and they had to be agressive. It took a near perfect play to get him too. I should point out that AJ did not do a text book job of blocking the plate or preparing for the other. He actually got lucky but I'll take it.

It wasn't nearly a near perfect play, either...

Griffey did a really poor job of setting himself up to throw to begin with. He was somewhat flat footed. He didn't get behind the ball well, and caught it on the glove side of his body. He then didn't throw it with a ton of momentum.

It worked because it was right on line to the plate. Got a bit lucky when it just carried the mound, and it hit the very front part which allowed it to skip in pretty quickly. Without that, he's probably safe as he kills AJ before AJ can grab it.

The best party of the whole play was actually AJ receiving it without f'ing it up and then holding on after getting nailed.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)

Griffey did a really poor job of setting himself up to throw to begin with. He was somewhat flat footed. He didn't get behind the ball well, and caught it on the glove side of his body. He then didn't throw it with a ton of momentum.

It worked because it was right on line to the plate. Got a bit lucky when it just carried the mound, and it hit the very front part which allowed it to skip in pretty quickly. Without that, he's probably safe as he kills AJ before AJ can grab it.

The best party of the whole play was actually AJ receiving it without f'ing it up and then holding on after getting nailed.

I disagree almost completely. Only part I agree on is Griffey didn't put his whole body into the throw.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)

Anyone that actually has an arm (BA included) would have reached home without having it bounce like Griffey did. It was accurate, but damn he was lucky that it didn't pop off the mound awkwardly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
They wouldn't have sent him, as Cuddyer wouldn't have moved into 3rd base on Anderson, as he did with Griffey. And I completely agree with IlliniKrush.

:lol:

anderson could've easily uncorked one of those airmail throws to the backstop that we've seen him toss. you act as if his arm strikes fear into opposing teams. Anderson is a legend...on soxtalk.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
:lol:

anderson could've easily uncorked one of those airmail throws to the backstop that we've seen him toss. you act as if his arm strikes fear into opposing teams. Anderson is a legend...on soxtalk.

He would've thrown the ball home in order to stop Cuddyer from advancing to 3rd from 2nd earlier in the inning? My point was that Cuddyer wouldn't have advance to 3rd base on the fly out earlier in the inning.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
He would've thrown the ball home in order to stop Cuddyer from advancing to 3rd from 2nd earlier in the inning? My point was that Cuddyer wouldn't have advance to 3rd base on the fly out earlier in the inning.

Good point. I'm leaning towards they sent him because it was the old man out there. That ball was shallow.

I'm surprised he just didn't throw it on the fly to the plate. That was damn shallow. When it bounced, I thought for sure he'd be safe. AJP had one of the best plays of the season to hang onto that ball. I don't know how he did it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
I disagree almost completely. Only part I agree on is Griffey didn't put his whole body into the throw.

what is there to disagree about? He threw that ball flat footed and had roughly 0 momentum behind him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
what is there to disagree about? He threw that ball flat footed and had roughly 0 momentum behind him.

Some of you guys need to go watch a fn replay

One, he did NOT throw the ball flatfooted.. he caught the ball almost straight head up, then took 2 shuffle/stutter steps to gain *gasp* momentum and then threw a one hop ball right where it needed to be.. I don't know how there was anything lucky about that.. you don't need to violently hurl your body towards home plate to have momentum behind a throw

I do agree about the play at the plate though.. I was surprised AJ not only caught it with Cuddyer barreling right at him but then held onto it even with the collision pretty much straight into his gloved arm. That was the more "lucky" part of anything.

just curious, did the twins have anyone on the bench from the minors or whatever/expanded roster, that had more speed than cuddyer that could replace his position in the field?

you'd have to think that someone with actual speed would've scored there

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:55 AM)
just curious, did the twins have anyone on the bench from the minors or whatever/expanded roster, that had more speed than cuddyer that could replace his position in the field?

you'd have to think that someone with actual speed would've scored there

I'd guess they had someone faster on the bench. I don't think they would want to use them in the 5th though. Cuddyer is not Konerko/Griffey/Thome/Dye/AJ slow though.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
I'm wondering if Anderson was in center if the Twins would have sent Cuddyer?

I have said repeatedly during the last couple days that Anderson doesn't throw out Cuddyer at the plate, and Griffey doesn't make the catch in the 9th. Anderson has a better arm, but the first time I see him hit the target at homeplate, it will be the first. Griffey doesn't have the range that Anderson does (duh).