One Man's Timidity Can Set the Tone

Friend of Nordhagen

Yes, we have a pitcher who in the last four games at least can't get through 4 innings and seems to lack copnfidence in himself. But, we need to step up when playing in a dome stadium and we just need one game to even the series and go to Comiskey. That's all we need is the Thursday game I say again. The team needs to step up and get it done. I think we can do it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
He should have stuck up for Uribe by actually getting a hit. Why give Balfour any extra motivation?

Cabrera just embarrassed himself by kicking dirt and then striking out. Terrible.

Well, maybe his herpes was flaring up or something.

Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher and MB has been on a roll. I don't know what's going to happen but I'll say what I've said for the last week: if we're going to lose, I want MB or Danks or Floyd on the mound to lose it. Those are the 3 we will see starting tomorrow.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
hindsight is 20/20...in all honesty we couldnt pitch clayton...you just can't ...he's had plenty of horrendous outings this year, and im shocked the Rays didnt bunt on him at all...with his inability to throw t o first i thoguht crawford, upton, aki and even more should have been bunting on him....that said, kid pitched great and gave us a chance to get back in it while javy was crapping away anotehr lead....frustrating...i think now though if we should be lucky enough to get that far...theres no way javy starts again this postseason.

javy might make a good reliever....he seems to always pitch well for an inning or two and i would bet he'd pick up a mph or two on his fastball

now i wasn't saying i wouldn't have thrown javy, because i would have too, which is why i don't blame ozzie on it. the question was asked who else could we have started, the answer (even before the game today) was clayton richard. and Hawk called it. thats all i am saying.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
the answer (even before the game today) was clayton richard. and Hawk called it. thats all i am saying.

That's why Hawk lasted one season as a GM and would never make it as a manager. You don't start a rookie who went 2-5 with an ERA over 6 in the first game of a playoff series. Even if your other option has had a history of not pitching well in big games.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
It's to the point where I think even his own teammates hate Vazquez. I wouldn't be surprised if his own family, his children, disliked him. I wish nothing but horrible things for that man.

Listening to the Score, sounds like no one will even comment. When he leaves the team, a lot of things are going to come out.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
Listening to the Score, sounds like no one will even comment. When he leaves the team, a lot of things are going to come out.

I can't imagine many players not feeling frustration with Vazquez and his fourth straight start giving up 5 or more earned runs.

He had a terrible reputation in big games before this streak, and even after he was given an opportunity to redeem himself today with atleast a quality outing, he couldn't even do that.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Why would the players be mad at Javy?

From what I remember Javy has been given some of the most brutal defensive plays over the last 3 years by his team.

Today there was a dropped ball on potential double play, a pop up to left field that no one decided to even try for, and 2-3 weak ground balls to the left side of the infield that rolled right through with out the Sox even getting a glove on them.

You can all have your scape goat if it makes you feel better at night, but the bases were loaded with 1 out and the Sox couldnt even score 1 run.

Since when is giving up 6 runs impossible to come back from?

This team is not going to get far if the pitchers have to keep the other team to 4 runs or less, the Sox are not built that way.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
Why would the players be mad at Javy?

From what I remember Javy has been given some of the most brutal defensive plays over the last 3 years by his team.

Today there was a dropped ball on potential double play, a pop up to left field that no one decided to even try for, and 2-3 weak ground balls to the left side of the infield that rolled right through with out the Sox even getting a glove on them.

You can all have your scape goat if it makes you feel better at night, but the bases were loaded with 1 out and the Sox couldnt even score 1 run.

Since when is giving up 6 runs impossible to come back from?

This team is not going to get far if the pitchers have to keep the other team to 4 runs or less, the Sox are not built that way.

The Sox failure to get a clutch hit is what tells me they are not likely to win this series. Lord knows they have blown a lot of chances like that this season. It is inexcusable. But I don't understand how you can defend JV.

Not defending him.

Just Im not sure what is worse, giving up 6 runs or not getting in runs from 3rd when you have less than 2 outs, or making horrendous fielding plays.

Javy didnt pitch bad until he started walking players at that point its all on him. But early in the game he was pitching to contact and just getting absolutely no help from his defense.

Hell even the 2 hrs to Longoria most would prefer to walks and big innings, it just was a bad game. Im just tired of it being only Javy who takes the blame, not to mention all of the personal hate attacks that people make on him.

Hes just a f***ing baseball player and people are wishing that he got hurt etc.

Its just annoying as hell cause ive always been taught that you support the people who struggle and you pick up your weakest link.

You dont throw them under the bus and disown them, at least that is my position on how a team acts.

I mean this isnt the first player, Judy Garland, Gavin Floyd, all have been attacked like Javy. Now that Gavin has turned around many of them are all of a sudden huge supporters, I just dont get that. I support the Sox players from the day they join the Sox until the day they leave the Sox. Maybe they arent the best, maybe they lose, but every time they go out Im hoping that they win and every time they do bad, Im hoping that the next time they turn it around.

Just gets lame to hear all the hate over and over again.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Not defending him.

Just Im not sure what is worse, giving up 6 runs or not getting in runs from 3rd when you have less than 2 outs, or making horrendous fielding plays.

Javy didnt pitch bad until he started walking players at that point its all on him. But early in the game he was pitching to contact and just getting absolutely no help from his defense.

Hell even the 2 hrs to Longoria most would prefer to walks and big innings, it just was a bad game. Im just tired of it being only Javy who takes the blame, not to mention all of the personal hate attacks that people make on him.

Hes just a f***ing baseball player and people are wishing that he got hurt etc.

Its just annoying as hell cause ive always been taught that you support the people who struggle and you pick up your weakest link.

You dont throw them under the bus and disown them, at least that is my position on how a team acts.

I mean this isnt the first player, Judy Garland, Gavin Floyd, all have been attacked like Javy. Now that Gavin has turned around many of them are all of a sudden huge supporters, I just dont get that. I support the Sox players from the day they join the Sox until the day they leave the Sox. Maybe they arent the best, maybe they lose, but every time they go out Im hoping that they win and every time they do bad, Im hoping that the next time they turn it around.

Just gets lame to hear all the hate over and over again.

Support is one thing. To just blame everything that is on him on something else is another. He gave up 6 runs. His last 4 starts he's pitches 16 1/3 giving up 25 runs. To expect your offense to get you 7, which is the least it would take if the bullpen shut out TB like they did, in a playoff game, is insane. I don't wish him dead or hurt, that is nuts, you're right, in the end its just a baseball game. I wish him on the mound against the White Sox in a big game.

Edited by Dick Allen