Fixing the speed problem while remaining revenue neutral

caulfield12

See the Whitesox are a dumb team sometimes. If they need a single, they swing for the fences. A double fences , a walk, they swing at it

They try to hit home runs every at bat. That's all they do. Swing for the fences. By now we are all aware we don't win unless we hit several home runs. It's the philosophy of all our hitters. I know we can't, but I'd love to get a guy like Granderson to go with all the big boppers. f*** Coco Crisp. Don't want him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Speed will keep an offense balanced and consistent. The Twins are a prime example of this. Speed also changed the entire dynamic of how the opponent plays their defense. (Watching this White Sox team play, this is no secret.) Power added into this equation will make an offense elite. I'm not a big believer in the stolen base, but I am a believer in going 1st to 3rd on a single. The Red Sox at least had a number of runners that could apply pressure on the basepaths, even if it wasn't via the stolen base.

That said, I don't think the decision needs to be between Konerko and Swisher. I think they need to make a decision between Dye and Thome. If you keep the core of Konerko, Thome, Dye, AJ, they're not much better off speed-wise no matter where they improve unless they can find a 3B who can burn the basepaths.

I agree that Swisher can't carry the load at first base; this is traditionally a power position with players that don't run very well. It's one of the four positions on the diamond where I'm openly willing to sacrifice speed for power, defense or other intabgibles (the other three being C, 3B, DH.) Dye doesn't fit the bill as a right fielder anymore. He's slow, can't cover the gap or line very well, and he doesn't limit doubles to singles and won't often keep a runner from scoring from 2B on a single, or a runner from going 1st to 3rd on a single if he has to move to get the ball. Carlos Quentin can do this and has the arm to play the position. Move Swisher to LF permanently because that's where he fits on the field best. He doesn't have the arm to play RF, nor the power to play 1B, but has enough speed to patrol the corner OF positions. Then, obviously, decide whether they want to keep Dye in the line-up as DH or not. If so, don't bring Thome back.

I don't like the idea of Figgins at 3B. It'll keep Dye in RF which will hurt the OF defense. He also has a noodle arm which won't translate well at a position that requires a power arm. I'm all for putting him at 2B. Which brings me to my next point: the Sox cannot go into 2009 with the idea of playing Uribe every day. His above average defense at 3 positions gives him value as a bench player as does his power, but he has no plate discipline what-so-ever. Automatic outs in an American League line-up are not a good thing.

As we all know, CF should be one of the main priorities for KW in the off-season. They simply can't go into next year with the idea of Swisher/Griffey in CF. They can't play the position the way it needs to be played.

And last, Figgins/Roberts need to be the main targets for KW this off-season. Without them and without Cabrera, they don't have even a decent lead-off hitter. Swisher is the only potential candidate, but I'd rather not see him there.

I believe that just shifting Quentin to RF and permanently moving Swisher to LF vastly improves their overall defense and paints a clearer picture of where the holes are. Quentin/Dye/Konerko or Quentin/Thome/Konerko is enough power. All four together in the same exact spots next year is a bad idea. Swisher, all though he had a poor year at the plate, is not the problem.

The main difficulty with what you want to do is that we're really locked into Thome's contract now, and it's a hefty one for another team to take on, and it obviously has to be an American League team. Not to mention that he's our main LH power source. If you let him go, then who are you going to rely upon in the middle of the order, Swisher? Well, it seems you want him to bat first or up in the order because of his OBP.

Swisher as LF? Hmmmm...here's the way I look at it. The corner outfield spots and corner infield spots (LF/RF and 3B/1B) are where traditionally teams have the most power. If you can get "plus" power or an offensive edge at one of those positions, that makes your team all that much tougher to beat. That's why Ramirez is so key to our team, because he has pop most middle infielders simply don't possess, especially shortstops. Pierzynski also gives us a "plus" offensively, although defensively, he undercuts some of that overall advantage.

Some have suggested DHing Dye, but I am not sure he is quite ready to do that at this point in his career, nor how it would affect his offensive game. He takes a lot of pride in going out to play everyday and he still possesses at least an above-average throwing arm.

At any rate, my "main" targets are Roberts, Blake and Crisp. Roberts is probably the splashiest move, if for no other reason than that the Cubs also wanted him for a couple of years. Crisp and Blake are those "under the radar" type of moves that KW likes to make that don't generate huge headlines.

All the other players commonly mentioned here, such as Figgins, Hudson, Grudzielanek, Furcal, etc., I'm so-so about, either because of the prohibitive cost versus their perceived value, their age or their injury history.

Because of Swisher's youth and relatively favorable contract status, I think he's an easier player to move still. Also, as far as KW is concerned, Swisher isn't one of Guillen's favorites. I think it would be more difficult for our manager to see either Thome, Konerko or Dye traded, since he still has and continues to have so much faith in those three in particular.

So it really depends on what other GM's out there are thinking...if Konerko or Dye can better get us back what we need, then trade them, particularly Konerko. However, Dye has given us a huge "net plus" in RF over the past 3-4 seasons in terms of him homerun numbers in RF versus the rest the league average in RF. Konerko and Thome have been much closer to the "normative" levels for those positions. So the question is, to an opposing team, who is the bigger bargain? Konerko? Dye? Thome? Swisher? All of them have their pluses and minuses, and I still believe the most interest will be in Swisher and Konerko (especially if the Angels lose Tex to the market). With Thome from Peoria and how much he enjoys the proximity to his family after one of his parents passed away, I think something special/amazing would have to come along for KW to go to him and ask him to consider a change of address again.

Agree on Uribe. He can't be our starter next year. I can, I suppose "live" with Fields, but I would much prefer a Blake, Kouzmanoff, Atkins or Beltre over there than Josh. But we're not going to just give Fields away either. At the very least, KW was able to get a very valuable piece in Thornton back for Borchard instead of just releasing him.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
I mean look at what the last 6 world series champions have in common?

2001 Diamondbacks small ball,

2002 Angels small ball,

2003 Marlins small ball,

2004 Red Sox small ball,

2005 WhiteSox small ball,

2006 Cardinals same

2007 RedSox same

Does Kenny and Jerry understand this? It works, why change it? I almost start thinking sometimes it's about money..What draws more fans?? Homeruns so kids can try to catch a ball

they all pitched well. That's pretty much the only thing those teams have in common.

Wow, this thread has really brought out all the "arm chair" GMs hasn't it? First off, Konerko has a FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE in addition to still being owed about 25 million dollars. There are probably a handful of teams he would even consider going to, possibly the Cali clubs since he's a Cali native. He's expressed a desire to stay with the Sox for the duration of his contract. He's about as untradeable as it gets.

Secondly, Casey Blake is a mediocre 3B who will be 35 years old next season -- this is the answer at 3B? Coco Crisp hasn't managed to play over 120 games since 2004. He's constantly injured and when he's healthy he's a mediocre option in CF. He's been a huge bust with the Red Sox, no other way about it.

No, there are no easy answers. A quick rundown of the roster finds that these spots are covered:

1B: Konerko

SS: Ramirez

LF : Quentin

CF: Swisher

RF: Dye

C: AJ

DH: Thome

None of those guys is likely to go anwhere. Now filling 2B and 3B is going to be a huge concern. Brian Roberts is a frequent mention and there is little doubt he should be at the top of the list as far as everyday 2B that should be available. He's still plenty young, although not ideal young, and he swings a good bat and plays solid defense in addition to adding some speed and good baserunning.

3B is going to be harder. Any trade that arrivers at Brian Roperts probably wipes out the farm system (again). There isn't much to start with.

But KW is a good GM and he'll make some trades this offseason as his style. But there are no easy answers for 2009. One thing is clear though and that is that the team is much better positioned then seemingly last offseason where they had no young building blocks outside of a shakey John Danks. The addition of Ramirez and Quentin and the emergence of Floyd gives this team some good young building blocks even as there other key players age.

I really thing KW needs to address the top of the lineup in the offseason. My ideal off-season would be to sign Orlando Hudson, trade for Figgins and trade for Beltre. Figgins goes to CF, and bats leadoff while Hudson bats in the 2 hole. Beltre would help boost the middle of the lineup. The only problem is one of Swisher/Konerko/Thome needs to go. If he would agree I wouldnt mind dealing Thome and DHing Dye, I love Thome but I think that we would be more balanced without him and since he cant be count on as an everyday 1B have to give the edge to Konerko.

I dont know what to do regarding the pitching, Ideally Id like Richard in the bullpen though and someone outside the organization brought in.

great thread caulfield! I hope we don't have to really think about this stuff for another month, though. We'll see.

Question, should beckham come up, people see him as a #2? And there doesn't seem to be a leadoff hitter in our system. So unless we get Furcal, we are looking for a short term leadoff hitter, but eventually we'll need to find that long term guy we haven't had since Ray ray.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
I really thing KW needs to address the top of the lineup in the offseason. My ideal off-season would be to sign Orlando Hudson, trade for Figgins and trade for Beltre. Figgins goes to CF, and bats leadoff while Hudson bats in the 2 hole. Beltre would help boost the middle of the lineup. The only problem is one of Swisher/Konerko/Thome needs to go. If he would agree I wouldnt mind dealing Thome and DHing Dye, I love Thome but I think that we would be more balanced without him and since he cant be count on as an everyday 1B have to give the edge to Konerko.

I dont know what to do regarding the pitching, Ideally Id like Richard in the bullpen though and someone outside the organization brought in.

I thinking trading for Figgins AND Beltre is going to be prohibitively expensive.

We don't all the major league talent or minor league depth to do both.

There are a number of options (Kouzmanoff, Atkins, Beltre, Blake, Mora) and I think KW will explore each and every one, but in the end, Blake's the most logical due the numbers involved and not having to give up any talent to bring him in. He's the kind of player who probably would embrace playing with the White Sox.

I don't think Figgins is good enough defensively to play CF or 3B everyday. He doesn't have the arm for 3B...and I know we'd miss a number of DP's that Ramirez and Uribe pick up having him completing the throw from second. That would be harmful to Buehrle and also pitchers like Garland (in the past) or Baldwin that didn't strike out many batters and pitched to contact.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
great thread caulfield! I hope we don't have to really think about this stuff for another month, though. We'll see.

Question, should beckham come up, people see him as a #2? And there doesn't seem to be a leadoff hitter in our system. So unless we get Furcal, we are looking for a short term leadoff hitter, but eventually we'll need to find that long term guy we haven't had since Ray ray.

Some see him as a 3 hitter, some as a 2...hopefully he learns (and has learned) to play the game correctly (and the SEC is probably the best baseball conference in college ball). Or maybe starting out 7-9 like Ramirez and then eventually moving up to 6.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Wow, this thread has really brought out all the "arm chair" GMs hasn't it? First off, Konerko has a FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE in addition to still being owed about 25 million dollars. There are probably a handful of teams he would even consider going to, possibly the Cali clubs since he's a Cali native. He's expressed a desire to stay with the Sox for the duration of his contract. He's about as untradeable as it gets.

Secondly, Casey Blake is a mediocre 3B who will be 35 years old next season -- this is the answer at 3B? Coco Crisp hasn't managed to play over 120 games since 2004. He's constantly injured and when he's healthy he's a mediocre option in CF. He's been a huge bust with the Red Sox, no other way about it.

No, there are no easy answers. A quick rundown of the roster finds that these spots are covered:

1B: Konerko

SS: Ramirez

LF : Quentin

CF: Swisher

RF: Dye

C: AJ

DH: Thome

None of those guys is likely to go anwhere. Now filling 2B and 3B is going to be a huge concern. Brian Roberts is a frequent mention and there is little doubt he should be at the top of the list as far as everyday 2B that should be available. He's still plenty young, although not ideal young, and he swings a good bat and plays solid defense in addition to adding some speed and good baserunning.

3B is going to be harder. Any trade that arrivers at Brian Roperts probably wipes out the farm system (again). There isn't much to start with.

But KW is a good GM and he'll make some trades this offseason as his style. But there are no easy answers for 2009. One thing is clear though and that is that the team is much better positioned then seemingly last offseason where they had no young building blocks outside of a shakey John Danks. The addition of Ramirez and Quentin and the emergence of Floyd gives this team some good young building blocks even as there other key players age.

1) Blake is a winner

2) He's had a consistent .782-.819 OPS through his career, this season...and in the post-season

3) He would relish the opportunity to come back to the AL Central and face his former team, the Indians

4) He's already familiar with all the pitchers in our division...acquiring players from other teams in the division already is much more difficult

5) He gives you an OPS about 125 points higher than Uribe

6) He's not going to be as expensive as many players out there that might be better options than Beltre

7) We don't have to surrender any talent to get him

CoCo Crisp is a question mark. You're right. That's why it's a high risk/reward move, like if we, for example, traded for Milton Bradley. Same thing with bringing in Carl Everett. The risk is greater, but we don't have to give up as much to pry him lose from Boston, especially with Ellsbury's emergence. Obviously, Boston won't trade him to the Yankees, Blue Jays or Rays. It would be more acceptable for them to deal him to the White Sox. And Theo Epstein owes us, lol!!! Look how good Javier Lopez has done for them! And they now have Chris Carter, who is supposed to be the equivalent of Carlos San Quentin.

Also, if BA is on the roster still, he's around for insurance. And if Crisp does go down, maybe Anderson goes out and finally wins the job for good. Although I'm not counting on that happening, not with Anderson's swing looking so big again. With everyday repetition and chances to play, maybe he can tighten it up and become more compact (he has to, he's not a 25+ homer guy, he can't strike out 100+ times as a regular). It worked for Crede and somewhat for Fields....definitely not for the likes of Borchard.

Ooops...I guess I need to spend more time in the US paying attention. These two playoff games are the first time I've actually seen this team play with my eyes (everything else has been from Stone and Farmio and Gameday Audio). That's what happens when you live in Thailand, the Philippines, China and Colombia (actually, with DirecTV and other means, I saw every single playoff and WS game while there in 05/06).

I'm really scared that I will go crazy if the White Sox advance, trying to follow the team. I will be leaving Bangkok on the 15th with my Japanese friend on a two week trip through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. It will be a strange sight to see a "farang" trying to find Internet cafes to listen to a "silly" baseball game in those countries. At least my friend understands how important baseball is and won't think I'm 100% crazy. In fact, my fondest memory of 05 was finding an I-cafe in rural Colombia, looking up Game Center and finding that the bases were loaded (thanks Marte) and that El Duque was coming in. That was so stressful to follow on-line!!!

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/carter-chris.htm

Edited by caulfield12

Watching the Cubs' game, I wonder if KW would think about trying to add Pierre, Kent or Garciaparra (if the Dodgers would eat big percentages of their salaries)...or Andruw Jones?

Pierre was an often-mentioned name 2-3 years ago, but he's been off the radar screen for a long time. It's pretty amazing the Dodgers have become so young while they have four veterans like that on the bench or injured...and that Torre has negotiated the rapids to get this team at least to the NLCS.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
I wouldnt want any of those 3 guys, they are all over the hill. Also, I dont think Casey Blake helps this team in any way... his defense is below avg. and he is a similar hitter to what we have now. Yes, he is better than Uribe offensively but thats true of almost any 3B.

Well, Beltre and Mora would be more logical, since they're familiar with the AL already...and Blake. Beltre is going to be option #1 for every team out there, and I'm not convinced the Mariners have decided to part with him unless they can get an outstanding package in return. Actually, I think they would rather get rid of Ichiro, it's just that they can't do it because of their fanbase.

Kouzmanoff and Atkins are wild cards.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Well, Beltre and Mora would be more logical, since they're familiar with the AL already...and Blake. Beltre is going to be option #1 for every team out there, and I'm not convinced the Mariners have decided to part with him unless they can get an outstanding package in return. Actually, I think they would rather get rid of Ichiro, it's just that they can't do it because of their fanbase.

I dont think Beltre will be in that high demand, prob mostly just us and the twins that would put together a serious package for him. Honestly all this talk is a moot point anyways, KW always goes and does something nobody see's coming. All I hope is that KW does see that this team has some glaring holes in it and changes need to be made.

sorry, i skipped a page or so of this thread so maybe this idea's already been ridiculed, but why are we not talking about trading dye to balance this team out a little? he's 35 on opening day and is coming off a great bounceback year well past the age when most players decline for good. perfect sell-high time. peeps are understandably squeamish about swish, but his trade value's s*** right now and he's young enough to rebound (and past performance [as well as BABIP and line-drive rates this year] suggests it's likely that he'll improve). konerko and thome are immoveable so it's gotta be dye. i think it'd be best to put swish and quentin in the corners and trade dye for either an SP or a position player with good contact, speed, and obp.

the other problem with improving our balance or speed or whatever is that cabrera's leaving. so not only do we need to replace him with someone who can do some of those things, we need to bring in someone else who can do them (while getting rid of a HR statue) if we're actually gonna reshape the team a bit. because of this fact (and beckham), i'm in favor of giving getz every chance to become a regular on the '09 team rather than paying in money or talent for hudson or cano. getz can run, even if he's not a superior SB guy, so if he can get on base enough in the majors i'd love to see him there for us next year.

i dunno what i'd ask for for dye though. my first thought was figgins and adenhart for dye, since i thought anderson's contract was up, but after looking at figgins' SLG this year i dunno. i think he had one triple. and dude ain't young. but if he could bounce back a bit for a year, i wouldn't mind signing blake (warts and all) and putting the best three of figgins, BA, fields, blake, and getz, at CF, 3B, and 2B in whatever combo necessary (within reason: i don't want fields at CF). maybe sign a veteran SP to help improve the competition for the back of the rotation. but i dunno. adenhart don't look ready, and LAA are weird about their prospects. and no one'lll acknowledge this post anyway. it's all good.

Well, there's no way we'll get Adenhart AND Figgins for Dye.

The thing you have to always take into consideration is that Dye leads all MLB RFers over the time he's been in Chicago with homers. Second, we play in the most homer-friendly park in the majors. Maybe Swisher can get the job done...maybe. But all the other teams in the league know that Dye is advancing in years, has very little range in the outfield and is close to being a full-time DH. His contract is fairly reasonable at $11 million, but, once again, other teams must be thinking the same thing...age, take him out of Comiskey, it's a big risk. He's one of the big reasons we have such a home field advantage playing in Chicago. And, he is signed through only 2009, so another team won't part with a starter and a pitcher at this stage in his career. Not going to happen.

And the Angels already have Guerrero, Rivera, Hunter, Mathews and Anderson for their OF/DH position. Not a fit to get Dye there.

They would be much more likely to consider trading Figgins for Swisher and maybe a Tier B prospect in our system.

Second, I don't think KW goes into 2009 looking to defend the AL Central title with Getz envisioned as a starter. Getz and Fields, at best, are back-up plans for KW. Or trading chips at worst.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 04:06 AM)

Fill CF with Ichiro then, and I'd be okay with Uribe/Fields at third, with Rameriz moving to SS, and a solid second baseman.

Ichiro and A-Rod have been discussed a lot around here the last five years.

I wouldn't be opposed to it...it all depends on the costs involved. To start with, they would ask for Swisher, Fields (assuming they traded Beltre) and Poreda.

If you're willing to trade Swisher, Fields and Poreda for Ichiro...then you have yourself a deal. It's actually not a horrendous trade, UNLESS Poreda becomes a stud down the line. It's relatively easy to find players out there to replace Swisher and Fields.

The concern is Ichiro playing CF everyday...his advancing age. Maybe it would work. It would also really blow our budget in terms of doing much else in Free Agency, including 3B, 2B, a 5th starter and some more help for the bullpen. Certainly, a splashy move that would create an incredible amount of excitement in the fanbase and the media.

I'm just not sure if KW would pull the trigger on that, because of the lack of depth at the back of the rotation, the issues with Vazquez, the possibility that someone like Buehrle could finally succumb to wear and tear and go on the DL...Poreda is the only pitcher we have in the minors that has the ability to be a 3 or higher (possibly 2) starter in the majors, at least of those pitchers that are realistically within 2 years of the big leagues (High A and above).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 06:24 AM)
Well, there's no way we'll get Adenhart AND Figgins for Dye.

The thing you have to always take into consideration is that Dye leads all MLB RFers over the time he's been in Chicago with homers. Second, we play in the most homer-friendly park in the majors. Maybe Swisher can get the job done...maybe. But all the other teams in the league know that Dye is advancing in years, has very little range in the outfield and is close to being a full-time DH. His contract is fairly reasonable at $11 million, but, once again, other teams must be thinking the same thing...age, take him out of Comiskey, it's a big risk. He's one of the big reasons we have such a home field advantage playing in Chicago. And, he is signed through only 2009, so another team won't part with a starter and a pitcher at this stage in his career. Not going to happen.

And the Angels already have Guerrero, Rivera, Hunter, Mathews and Anderson for their OF/DH position. Not a fit to get Dye there.

They would be much more likely to consider trading Figgins for Swisher and maybe a Tier B prospect in our system.

Second, I don't think KW goes into 2009 looking to defend the AL Central title with Getz envisioned as a starter. Getz and Fields, at best, are back-up plans for KW. Or trading chips at worst.

first, dunno what the option is on anderson's contract but of course that was why i thought they'd look at dye--anderson's original four years are up. , and they've, rightfully, never treated rivera or matthews as starters. you don't think they'd see dye as an upgrade on them? swisher OPSed higher than figgins last year, is younger, and has a reasonable contract. we ain't gonna give up him and change to a team who doesn't even value the kinda player he is (but very much does value the kinda player dye is).

more to the point, you're quibbling. i think it's silly that you dismiss my suggestion of dye for a sub-700-OPS hitter (who's also in his last year btw) and a pitcher with an AAA ERA > 5, but fine. i don't care if it's the angels, but dye needs to be the guy we move to balance the team. if it's crisp and change or whoever, fine. but you seem determined to move swisher instead. i dunno why. and i dunno what anyone could possibly think he'd bring back. swisher and vazquez for roberts? you really think the O's'd consider that? and maybe throw in adam jones if we added poreda? not, as you say, going to happen.

second, i agree that kenny ain't seein getz and fields as starters. never said otherwise. i also think it's silly to think that he's gonna be able to upgrade on both of them and simultaneously CF and the rotation. one of them is likely to play a significant role if the 2009 team is successful. i think it'd be wise to acknowledge that and roll the dice (as he did with floyd and danks this year). kenny's probably got another angle, thank god, but i don't see a choice right now.

By trading Dye to the Angels, are you assuming they are going to DH him or Guerrero?

Neither one of those guys wants to sit on the bench the majority or even half the season? Or I guess you're thinking they would move Dye to LF?

Generally, not the wisest move to include top young pitching prospects in trades for position players. Keep in mind, the Angels probably won't re-sign Garland, so Adenhart will be given every chance to be the fifth starter IMO.

Adenhart has been perenially ranked in the Top 30-40 players in baseball...and, once again, he's a young/affordable pitcher (which is the single most valuable commodity in the game).

Many fans here would not even be convinced we should accept a Figgins for Poreda deal...and Poreda isn't even a consensus member of the Top 50 MLB prospects list, probably closer to 75-125.

But you want them to give up Adenhart too? I just doubt, with their history of holding on to most of their prospects, that they would contemplate such a move. It also makes them too old...they have Guerrero already getting into his 30's as well, along with Hunter. They would become more like the White Sox, and I don't think that's Scioscia's goal. Of course, that style which has led to the highest winning percentage in baseball has failed to even get them into the World Series once during that time.

Edited by caulfield12

If i were KW these would be the moves i make in the offseason.

Trade PK to whom ever misses out on TEX(NY/LA) for prospects move Dye to First Base

Pick up Thome's opition

Sign Furcal and Blake in the offseason

Trade Fields and prospects to the A's for Buck and one of Casilla, Devine or Street

Try to buy low on Homer Bailey

Resign Uribe for the bench

S Furcal SS

L Buck CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Dye 1B

S Swisher LF

R Blake 3B

L AJP C

R Ramirez 2B

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
If i were KW these would be the moves i make in the offseason.

Trade PK to whom ever misses out on TEX(NY/LA) for prospects move Dye to First Base

Pick up Thome's opition

Sign Furcal and Blake in the offseason

Trade Fields and prospects to the A's for Buck and one of Casilla, Devine or Street

Try to buy low on Homer Bailey

Resign Uribe for the bench

S Furcal SS

L Buck CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Dye 1B

S Swisher LF

R Blake 3B

L AJP C

R Ramirez 2B

Maybe if we agree to pay the injury-plagued Eric Chavez $23 million the next two seasons will BB part with Buck AND Street.

By the way, "During certain games throughout the season, GM Billy Beane must care for Eric's 2 dogs" is perhaps the most interesting contract clause in baseball. Would KW go for that? Does JR want dogs in the owner's box? Only time will tell.

I think you might see Dye move to 1B, but I doubt it will happen with the White Sox in 2009. If he is to play first, the team needs to give him more advance warning than when he arrives at Spring Training on February 20th. He's still a pretty good athlete and a big target, but the speed of the game on the infield, reflexes, throwing the ball to the pitcher covering first, bunt rotations, there's a lot to learn for someone who's played RF his entire career. The thing is, I can't imagine Dye being any better than Thome would be at first, and probably worse.

We can go after someone like Bailey, Hughes/Kennedy (NYY), Kershaw, etc. Doesn't mean any of those teams are close to ready to give up like the Phillies were with Gavin Floyd. To get Danks, we had to part with our best pitching prospect in McCarthy...