Javy got booed during introductions?

Princess Dye

Danks mentioned this on his interview on the Score this morning.

Really disappointing. We're all frustrated with him, no doubt. But why upset this guy when he's probably going to be coming out of the pen in Game 4 or 5 and is going to give everything he's got, even if it isnt a ton this late in the year.

Also 208 IP during the regular season and got some important quality starts mid Aug to mid Sept.

Plus coming back next year.

I mean what could possibly be the good of booing him. Be disappointed, no need to prove it.

Edited by Princess Dye

I can understand the boos. I doubt I would have, but I can understand. It's actually pretty simple:

Ozzie call him out > he sucks > he gets boo'd

direct and simple chain of events. And that could be considered a cumulative boo from fans everywhere he's been.

He is still part of the team and contributed some wins that helped get us to where we are today. He folded under pressure yes, but still you don't degrade your own players IMO. He may be trade bait this winter for sure, but don't count him out as a member of the 2009 Sox.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
I can understand the boos. I doubt I would have, but I can understand. It's actually pretty simple:

Ozzie call him out > he sucks > he gets boo'd

direct and simple chain of events. And that could be considered a cumulative boo from fans everywhere he's been.

Well one thing is if it's deserved but another side of it, which is the practical side. Why do it?

It either is pointless or a detriment. So dont bother.

Kind of like the stupid Cubs fans with the Fukudome racist shirts. Why keep pushing for the right to wear/sell that... all it can do is piss him off and make him less comfortable in his first year overseas.

It could even make him...gasp..worse. And with Fuku maybe it did. Just adding stress to an already stressful career.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
He is still part of the team and contributed some wins that helped get us to where we are today. He folded under pressure yes, but still you don't degrade your own players IMO. He may be trade bait this winter for sure, but don't count him out as a member of the 2009 Sox.

he contributed to 4 more losses than wins. ;)

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Well one thing is if it's deserved but another side of it, which is the practical side. Why do it?

It either is pointless or a detriment. So dont bother.

Kind of like the stupid Cubs fans with the Fukudome racist shirts. Why keep pushing for the right to wear/sell that... all it can do is piss him off and make him less comfortable in his first year overseas.

It could even make him...gasp..worse. And with Fuku maybe it did. Just adding stress to an already stressful career.

You do it for the same reason Ozzie called him out. You hope it lights a fire under his ass. Kind of like a 40,000 person intervention. Perhaps coddling and holding him close while whispering we love you no matter what happens may work also.

Again, I don't necessarily agree, but can understand it 100%. He is frustrating.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
You do it for the same reason Ozzie called him out. You hope it lights a fire under his ass. Kind of like a 40,000 person intervention.

Again, I don't necessarily agree, but can understand it 100%. He is frustrating.

i guess i see where you're coming from , but i think he's under pressure enough without that.

i mean he's letting this whole team and city down, it's not like he's oblivious to that fact.

and also i somehow doubt that the booers are thinking it out as much as you are. i think they're doing it b/c they're personally insecure, intox, whatever. i mean it's the easiest thing to do to throw spitballs from the back row.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
i guess i see where you're coming from , but i think he's under pressure enough without that.

i mean he's letting this whole team and city down, it's not like he's oblivious to that fact.

Based on his "I'll be laying on the beach with millions after retirement" comment makes me wonder if he really is oblivious.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Based on his "I'll be laying on the beach with millions after retirement" comment makes me wonder if he really is oblivious.

I agree that's pretty bad, I read that as some defensiveness to the criticism

With him, I think he attacks the plate so much that it has to be a real hit to yr pride where your stuff is being hit so easily for a month now.

To me it's a two way street. Players shouldnt pull this crap about "try to do my job better then" to the fans. Likewise, fans should show a little restraint unless they want to kill a guy's confidence permanently. Again, not b/c it's noble to do, but just b/c you ROOT for this team. you should want the guys comfortable.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
I agree that's pretty bad, I read that as some defensiveness to the criticism

With him, I think he attacks the plate so much that it has to be a real hit to yr pride where your stuff is being hit so easily for a month now.

To me it's a two way street. Players shouldnt pull this crap about "try to do my job better then" to the fans. Likewise, fans should show a little restraint unless they want to kill a guy's confidence permanently. Again, not b/c it's noble to do, but just b/c you ROOT for this team. you should want the guys comfortable.

And not to beat this to deathm but if there was a time and a place to boo, this was probably one of the two best times.

He deserves to be booed. I am about as conservative a person as you'll find in regards to booing people on your own team (I think I've booed at a Sox game two, MAYBE three times in my life and i've been to dozens and dozens of games), but Javy has earned it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

He deserves to be booed. I am about as conservative a person as you'll find in regards to booing people on your own team (I think I've booed at a Sox game two, MAYBE three times in my life and i've been to dozens and dozens of games), but Javy has earned it.

exactly how many dozens are we talking about here? i am very interested to find this out....

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)

He's not oblivious, he just simply doesn't care. He's set for life regardless of how he pitches from here on out. that sort of attitude behind awful performances deserves to be booed. And any player that can't take being booed for sucking probably shouldn't be out there, anyway.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I was there. And booing. If I felt like he was giving us 110% every time out there, I wouldn't boo. But I just can't cheer for someone who seems content with mediocrity.

And to add, there seems to be no outward signs of actually giving a s***. I know different guys display it differently, but you could see past Garland's "California Cool" or Buerhle's huge ass smile, they care and want to win. I believe you could measure the amount that Javy cares in "micro give a s***s".

I was at the game and would say the booing wasn't bad. It was more like a collective grumble from the stands and a very weak smattering of applause. I can't say I blame the fans and certainly hope that Javy wakes up to shove it down the BooBirds throats with quality innings the next time he gets a chance to pitch.

When you have pitchers like Buerhle, Danks and Floyd gutting it out it's difficult to handle quotes like - "I'm the same whether I win or lose." I'd at least like to see some passion from him. It seems like he doesn't care and that doesn't fit with a team that is lead by Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
exactly how many dozens are we talking about here? i am very interested to find this out....

I would guess I've been to about a full season worth of home games in my life at this point, so probably somewhere in the 80's. I guess that would be more like several dozen rather than dozens and dozens, but that's semantics.