The piece that doesn't fit

joejoesox

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be totally fine with keeping Swisher in CF for most the year (could sub in w/ Wise some i suppose)

But for that to happen they have to really beef up that infield with guys that have bat control and plate discipline.

So if Josh Fields is the 3b (which i doubt) then i wouldnt want Swisher. I want the three open positions to be filled 2/3 with bat control guys, and ideally put those guys 1-2 in the order somehow.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
That Halladay/Rios deal might be the worst trade in the history of not only the Blue Jays, but the entire American League East.

While they're at it, they might as well give us Snider and Vernon Wells for Getz, Richard, Jose Martinez and Juan Silverio.

What about Vasquez,Thome and Contreras for Lincecum and Rowand? We would get a pitcher who has the potential to be a CY young contender for the next 10 years. Rowand would look better on the basepaths than someone like JD. I'm not sure what the Giants needs are. But, Thome is the Slugger they are lacking since Bonds , Vasquez would be a better fit for the NL and Contreras is the real wild card here.

our team can look like this

Hudson 2b

Ramirez SS

CQ LF

Dye DH

Swisher RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Rowand CF

Fields 3b

Lincecum

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Who Cares

;)

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
What about Vasquez,Thome and Contreras for Lincecum and Rowand? We would get a pitcher who has the potential to be a CY young contender for the next 10 years. Rowand would look better on the basepaths than someone like JD. I'm not sure what the Giants needs are. But, Thome is the Slugger they are lacking since Bonds , Vasquez would be a better fit for the NL and Contreras is the real wild card here.

our team can look like this

Hudson 2b

Ramirez SS

CQ LF

Dye DH

Swisher RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Rowand CF

Fields 3b

Lincecum

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Who Cares

;)

I applaud your enthusiam, young man.

Thome's too old to play 1B everyday, an injury waiting to happen, and the Giants are in the process of getting much younger, not older.

Lincecum and Cain are pretty much untouchables.

Contreras won't pitch again before next August, and maybe never again. Retirement is a possibility. You can't trade a player that's injured.

They've already sunk too much money into Zito, they would have no interest adding Javy. Vazquez is the type of pitcher a contending team with a $100 million plus payroll can afford to add to the roster as the 4th/5th starter, as long as he doesn't have to start a game in the post-season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
I applaud your enthusiam, young man.

Thome's too old to play 1B everyday, an injury waiting to happen, and the Giants are in the process of getting much younger, not older.

Contreras won't pitch again before next August, and maybe never again. Retirement is a possibility. You can't trade a player that's injured.

They've already sunk too much money into Zito, they would have no interest adding Javy. Vazquez is the type of pitcher a contending team with a $100 million plus payroll can afford to add to the roster as the 4th/5th starter, as long as he doesn't have to start a game in the post-season.

maybe I should have used green Fonts?

You may be down on them but konerko and vasquez have value. Fields and Broadway have some value too even though they didn't on the south side. I agree that halladay and rios was a reach but we can get some real good players for that package and KW just might surprise.

You have to keep Swisher.

He's signed long term for pretty cheap for one, and give him a consistent position, like say 1B after we trade Paulie, and a consistent spot in the line-up and he'll be fine. We need OBP guys, and Swish Thome and CQ are the only guys who appear to be able to take a walk right now, so the more the better...

QUOTE (heirdog @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
You may be down on them but konerko and vasquez have value. Fields and Broadway have some value too even though they didn't on the south side. I agree that halladay and rios was a reach but we can get some real good players for that package and KW just might surprise.

Yes they have value, just not much of it. Anf Fields value is at its all time low, and Broadway doesnt have any.

Some people on this board should start investing. Buy Swisher at a high price of 3 top prospects (for us at least) and then sell him at the lowest possible value he could ever have. We'd make millions!!!!!

Dye has to go. Of Konerko/Thome/Swish/Dye, Dye has the highest value and the only person that could even be traded. That free's up a corner spot for swish, PK at 1B, Thome at DH. Remove BA from the doghouse or sign/trade for a CF, sign/trade for a 3B, sign/trade/prospect for 2B. Bingo bango.

He's signed long term for pretty cheap for one, and give him a consistent position, like say 1B after we trade Paulie, and a consistent spot in the line-up and he'll be fine

Does that mean he may get his average up to say, .250? The only reason to keep him is we can't get anything for him.

How about Anderson, Richard, Fields and Swisher for Roberts and Mora. (+14)

Move Alexei to SS.

Thome for Figgins CF (-9)

Add 5 mil to the payroll

CF Figgins

2B Roberts

LF Quentin

DH Dye

1B Konerko

CA Pierzynski

3B Mora

SS Ramirez

RF Wise

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

I have the honest impression that Sabean, and his staff vastly underestimates Tim Lincecum. It's ludicrous, I know, but almost every statement they've made has given a clear indication that they value Cain much more than they do Tiny Tim. Now, I’m not saying this is ever going to happen, but I believe if KW made the right offer, and it would have to be a substantial one, a deal could be made

To be honest, I didn't read this thread. I probably never will. And I mean no offense to joe in saying this, but I want to put this out there.

This is easily the worst part of the season (and not just because the Sox just lost). It's terrible because there are 14 new threads a day about everyone's opinion on what should be done to the team. It's every bit as bad as Trade Winds, excluding the actual trade rumors. I am never interested in reading the vast majority of threads created at this time of the year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
To be honest, I didn't read this thread. I probably never will. And I mean no offense to joe in saying this, but I want to put this out there.

This is easily the worst part of the season (and not just because the Sox just lost). It's terrible because there are 14 new threads a day about everyone's opinion on what should be done to the team. It's every bit as bad as Trade Winds, excluding the actual trade rumors. I am never interested in reading the vast majority of threads created at this time of the year.

Keep your chin up Milkman! I don't think this is your usual, goddammit-we-lost-now-HERE'S-what-I-would do thread. Some of us have been saying for months that we should do this, that. And I still feel the same way, although I was totally, pleasantly surprised by how far we got. Last week was unforgettable.

But now that it's all said and done--and I'm not upset--let's get to fixin things. Can you imagine how good we could be in '09 if we got this far with THIS TEAM?

I see nothing but optimism to hold, as long as we don't try to trot out another station-to-station slow team next year. Keep a couple, but let's remodel.

The other good news: Danks, Floyd--KEEPERS. I'd say we're in good shape. And Swish will come around.

If Carlos Quentin is back healed and healthy nexy yer where does Swisher go but CF? Quentin-Swisher and Dye as the starting OF and Anderson and Wise as the relief in the OF. Right now that's the way I see it stacking up. Obviously anything can happen though. I see is trying to plug holes at 3B and 2B and Ramirez moves to SS. Konerko is the 1Bman.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Keep your chin up Milkman! I don't think this is your usual, goddammit-we-lost-now-HERE'S-what-I-would do thread. Some of us have been saying for months that we should do this, that. And I still feel the same way, although I was totally, pleasantly surprised by how far we got. Last week was unforgettable.

But now that it's all said and done--and I'm not upset--let's get to fixin things. Can you imagine how good we could be in '09 if we got this far with THIS TEAM?

I see nothing but optimism to hold, as long as we don't try to trot out another station-to-station slow team next year. Keep a couple, but let's remodel.

The other good news: Danks, Floyd--KEEPERS. I'd say we're in good shape. And Swish will come around.

No, I'm not saying that at all. It's just that I hate when all there is to read is "Here's my opinion on how we should handle ____ situation."

Swisher is staying. Not sure how this is even a discussion.

Really? Not a single team would offer something for a OF or 1B despite his down year? Does Swisher have the right to demand a trade because he was traded in a multiyear deal, or is it something with his arbitration years?

I think it's worth talking about since the Sox have a logjam.