The piece that doesn't fit

joejoesox

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Really? Not a single team would offer something for a OF or 1B despite his down year? Does Swisher have the right to demand a trade because he was traded in a multiyear deal, or is it something with his arbitration years?

I think it's worth talking about since the Sox have a logjam.

He can absolutely demand a trade.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Swisher will be staying. It said in the paper that KW even gave him a hug and encouraged him for 2009. They'll need him as an option anyway in case they trade Konerko.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SP38128UGR.DTL

The White Sox took Gonzalez with the 28th pick that year, 2004, then traded him to the Phillies the following year before reacquiring him in 2006. Chicago general manager Kenny Williams promised Gonzalez he'd never trade him again - but A's GM Billy Beane wouldn't part with outfielder Nick Swisher in January unless Gonzalez was part of the deal.

Never say never when Kenny Williams is involved.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
In fact, I would argue the opposite. Those comments for next year make me think Swisher will be gone for sure. KW is always, if nothing else, counter-intuitive to the majority of Sox fans in his thinking and methodology.

If he moves him, I just hope he gets a quality offer. I don't like selling low on people to clear space.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
Really? Not a single team would offer something for a OF or 1B despite his down year? Does Swisher have the right to demand a trade because he was traded in a multiyear deal, or is it something with his arbitration years?

I think it's worth talking about since the Sox have a logjam.

Yeah, a team would, the f***ing white sox. We already have him and already gave up prospects for him, so dumping him after an off year for next to nothing is about the dumbest idea ever.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
He can absolutely demand a trade.

I was pretty sure the rule was a trade demand can be made if a player is traded during the middle of a multi-year free agent contract that they signed, not a contract that buys out arbitration years. It's in the CBA which is online somewhere, haven't checked.

He can always "demand" a trade in the non-CBA sense (i.e., say that he will hold out if not traded), but it's not binding unless it was a free agent contract, IIRC.

[For the record, if a player demands a trade a la Vazquez and is NOT traded, he becomes a free agent. If he is traded, he loses free agency for one year after his contract expires. A pretty weird but pretty cool provision.]

Yet he could force the team to do so regardless.

EDIT: Betsy interrupted, but there's something I wanted to add. Vazquez demanded a trade when he was with Arizona but that was an extension he signed when he was traded to the Yanks. I think he had 2 years of arbitration left (2004 and 2005) and the Yanks signed him to a 4 year $44 million deal.

Edited by santo=dorf

Ok, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I was off. A player can demand a trade if he has 5 years of service time at the time of the trade (Swish had 3, I couldn't remember the requirement, thought it was 3), the contract had to have been signed before October 23 a year before the trade (it was) and the demand must be made at the conclusion of the season following the trade.

So no, Swish couldn't formally demand a trade.

When Javy was dealt to the Yankees he had 5.141 years of service, he signed his new deal before playing a game with the Yankees, the deal bought out his final year of arbitration and 3 free agent seasons. He was traded 1 year into the deal and demanded a trade after playing a full season with the Diamondbacks.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Yet he could force the team to do so regardless.

EDIT: Betsy interrupted, but there's something I wanted to add. Vazquez demanded a trade when he was with Arizona but that was an extension he signed when he was traded to the Yanks. I think he had 2 years of arbitration left (2004 and 2005) and the Yanks signed him to a 4 year $44 million deal.

2004 was the last year of his original deal with the Expos. I think the Expos locked him in for one post-arbitration year (2003 would have been his 6th year of service - he spent the entire 1998 season on the Expos' roster). So it was a free agent deal with the Yankees all the way, I believe.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
2004 was the last year of his original deal with the Expos. I think the Expos locked him in for one post-arbitration year (2003 would have been his 6th year of service - he spent the entire 1998 season on the Expos' roster). So it was a free agent deal with the Yankees all the way, I believe.

It couldn't have been, he was traded for Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera in December of '03. And the first year of his deal with the Yankees covered the '04 season so either he wasn't under contract when he arrived with the Yankees (but still Arb eligible) or the new deal superseded the old one he received from Montreal.

Javy spent over a month in the minors in June and July of 1999 so he only earned 141 days of service for the season, 31 days short of the 172 required to earn a full year. So as of January 2004 he was at 5.141 years of service and a year short of free agency.