Obama/McCain Round 2

BigSqwert

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Obama said that if we know where bin Laden/Al Qaeda is in Pakistan, he will go after them even if Pakistan is unwilling/unable to help.

McCain then b****ed him out for saying that.

Well here is the response. Please find for me where he talks about not going to go after Bin Laden.

MCCAIN: Well, Katie (ph), thank you.

You know, my hero is a guy named Teddy Roosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt used to say walk softly -- talk softly, but carry a big stick. Sen. Obama likes to talk loudly.

In fact, he said he wants to announce that he's going to attack Pakistan. Remarkable.

You know, if you are a country and you're trying to gain the support of another country, then you want to do everything you can that they would act in a cooperative fashion.

When you announce that you're going to launch an attack into another country, it's pretty obvious that you have the effect that it had in Pakistan: It turns public opinion against us.

Now, let me just go back with you very briefly. We drove the Russians out with -- the Afghan freedom fighters drove the Russians out of Afghanistan, and then we made a most serious mistake. We washed our hands of Afghanistan. The Taliban came back in, Al Qaeda, we then had the situation that required us to conduct the Afghan war.

Now, our relations with Pakistan are critical, because the border areas are being used as safe havens by the Taliban and Al Qaeda and other extremist organizations, and we have to get their support.

Now, General Petraeus had a strategy, the same strategy -- very, very different, because of the conditions and the situation -- but the same fundamental strategy that succeeded in Iraq. And that is to get the support of the people.

We need to help the Pakistani government go into Waziristan, where I visited, a very rough country, and -- and get the support of the people, and get them to work with us and turn against the cruel Taliban and others.

And by working and coordinating our efforts together, not threatening to attack them, but working with them, and where necessary use force, but talk softly, but carry a big stick.

Edited by southsideirish71

Via TPM:

Did McCain just refuse to shake Obama's hand?

Late Update: We just looked at the video. There's some room for interpretation. But it certainly looks like McCain left Obama hanging when Obama put his hand out to shake. But before you make up your mind, you should see the video. We'll have it for you shortly.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:30 AM)
Well here is the response. Please find for me where he talks about not going to go after Bin Laden.

Well, in addition to completely misrepresenting what Obama had just said here:

"In fact, he said he wants to announce that he's going to attack Pakistan. Remarkable."

He criticizes Obama's idea of launching those attacks against Al Qaeda here:

"When you announce that you're going to launch an attack into another country, it's pretty obvious that you have the effect that it had in Pakistan: It turns public opinion against us."

Or do you believe McCain just meant that going into Pakistan without Pakistan's permission to get Al Qaeda is his policy, but he isn't allowed to say so because that would be "telegraphing our punches".

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Well, in addition to completely misrepresenting what Obama had just said here:

"In fact, he said he wants to announce that he's going to attack Pakistan. Remarkable."

He criticizes Obama's idea of launching those attacks against Al Qaeda here:

"When you announce that you're going to launch an attack into another country, it's pretty obvious that you have the effect that it had in Pakistan: It turns public opinion against us."

Or do you believe McCain just meant that going into Pakistan without Pakistan's permission to get Al Qaeda is his policy, but he isn't allowed to say so because that would be "telegraphing our punches".

Our military forces are probably in Pakistan right now. I don't remember getting their permission. I would rather hunt these guys everywhere they are instead of saying, Dear Pakistan, we are going to violate your borders on Tuesday at 3 oclock in the morning, we are the guys wearing black outfits dropping from a black helicopter. Or the 3rd mechanized is crossing the border near Tora Bora. Please make sure that the locals have Cakes and Pie.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:50 AM)
Our military forces are probably in Pakistan right now. I don't remember getting their permission. I would rather hunt these guys everywhere they are instead of saying, Dear Pakistan, we are going to violate your borders on Tuesday at 3 oclock in the morning, we are the guys wearing black outfits dropping from a black helicopter. Or the 3rd mechanized is crossing the border near Tora Bora. Please make sure that the locals have Cakes and Pie.

Who is saying that?

And how did McCain turn "we will attack Al Qaeda if they're in Pakistan" into "we will attack Pakistan"?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1777622:date=Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:37 PM:name=Brian)-->
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
<!--quotec-->I think they shook hands while getting in the way of the teleprompter at the end.

Seems like a bit of a snub.

The one I was referring to was before this. Before they got in Brokaw's way of the teleprompter.

I dont think there was a snub, he patted Obama on the back so it would then have been odd to snub him. Maybe his arm was hurting or something, I tried to watch the rest of the tape to see if McCain then shook hands with anyone else but I didnt see it.

Judging from the tape it seems like McCain was actually acknowledging Obama.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
Interesting Note:

CNN is reporting that McCain quickly left the room after the debate, but Obama stuck around for quite a while to talk with voters.

That's pretty dumb by McCain. Did he think the cameras were off permenantly?

MCCAIN: ... tough decisions. I want to get to Medicare in a second.

Social Security is not that tough. We know what the problems are, my friends, and we know what the fixes are. We've got to sit down together across the table. It's been done before.

So, what are the fixes?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
:huh:

I should preface this by saying that I don't think that Sean Hanity is an anti-semite.

The point that he was trying to make is that the Ayer's stuff is beyond comprehensible. The fact that Sean Hanity had an anti-semite on his show does not make Sean Hanity an anti-Semite. The fact that Obama was on a charitable board with Ayers does not mean that Obama is a domestic terrorist.

Just as Hanity denounced the anti-Semite’s views, so too has Obama denounced Ayer’s view.